Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on how to adapt or replace the headlight with a billet headlight. Mainly I need to know how to "change" the wiring from the double halogen setup to a single H4 halogen bulb. And still retain the use of the Hi/Lo switch.
I am thinking, just thinking of a Billet headlight to compliment the 3 inch over sliders for the V-Chopper I am pondering building.

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
I am putting on a Headwinds light this weekend. I will post a "how-to" when I am done. The wires need to cut and spliced. The single bulb lights have 3 wires (yellow, white, and black). Basically, you take the hot from the low beam, the hot from the high beam, and one ground to the new wiring.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Pretty much what he said^, although I just skinned a little insulation off each of the 3 wires indicated by jcolodny and soldered on leads off of then going to some screw type bullet connectors. In doing this you can: A: remove the newly installed headlights if you wish, and return to the stock set up if you so desire.. B: Remove headlight easily for bike service..............the list goes on, but you get the idea!! Eric P.S.. My pic is old, I don't have any new pics yet with my new set up!

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
I put on the Headwinds light, and it works fine. However, before I post a how-to, with pictures, I need to clean up the wires behind the light. Once you remove the OEM headlight, all the cluster wiring in the ugly black tubing becomes visable.

Harleyvrodguy...what (if anything) did you to clean up or hide the wires? I tried some of the products I listed in the thread about hiding exposed wires, but nothing that is slit looks goods.

·
Cruzin' the Canyons
1,485 Posts
I've seen the Headwinds light on a VROD at Bartels in Marina Del Rey.
(It was quite a nice look) I still think the stock light is sleek and I'd rather
spend my money on a different mod.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Harleyvrodguy...what (if anything) did you to clean up or hide the wires? I tried some of the products I listed in the thread about hiding exposed wires, but nothing that is slit looks goods

I pm'ed you...........................

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any of you headwind guys have a picture????

I don't care for the backward slant of the stock headlight and would like to see a Vrod with Headwind! how about it! Please! fredfryguy :mad: :thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am in the process of building an extention if you will. The Arlen Ness kit puts the headlight too far forward and too low in mho. The extention will place the headlight 2 1/2 inches higher and approx. 3 inches closer to the tripletrees giving a better look and takes care of the "ugly" wire harness problem. Once I accomplish this I will try to post a pic. I am installing a streched Billet headlight which is approx. 8 inches in length. Not a Headwinds but same light as their Concours. :hmm:

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
Sounds like you might have something good there Bruiser1 If it works as good as you are planning, what do you think about making a few more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can make but I don't know if I have the nack to sell. Besides, I have free access to the equipment but I don't think the owner would want me to turn a profit off his dime. When I get to the metal shopp early next week I'll get a part "worthy" of the V-Rod. My currant R&D part is made of aluminium I scavenged from my awning off the front of the house. Part works great but powdercoated Brown just clashes with the anodized look. Hope the Mrs. doesn't read this forum. :chair: I'll keep you posted.

·
Ex-sunshine rider
249 Posts
fredfryguy said:
I don't care for the backward slant of the stock headlight and would like to see a Vrod with Headwind! how about it! Please! fredfryguy :mad: :thumb:
Hey Fredfryguy
Like the look of the rear wheel, where is the website, have you got a list of components necessary, is it the stock swingarm and how much
:lamer:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Certainly is!

Thanks for the compliement! My Harley dealer installed the kit and put it on the floor where I discovered and bought it! He got he kit from...............http://www.eurocomponentsusa.com/cover.html
They run $6200 without the tires. :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts