Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some info on changing out the front break line. I am installing the reduced reach bar and have the front break line also.

How do I bleed?

What happens when I disconnect it from the cylinder?

What happens when I disconnect it from the breaks?

Do I need any special tools not normally found in a garage toolbox of someone who doesn't know a lot about tools?:D

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Changed mine to an AW line, think its the same part number. If I remember correctly, remove the bolt and line from the hand control/resivoir, put the bolt back in, didn't lose much fluid. Mine is ABS not that I think it matters, bot unbolted the line from the module. Snaking the line back to the module was a bit difficult until I bent the line just a bit to get it in there easier. Come to find out that it's fairly flexible and bent it right back to normal shape, installed the line on the resivoir and used a reverse bleed kit, u could use the bleed valve doing a traditional method. Good brakes, no leaking. If I were you, I wouldn't listen to me though and take it to the dealer or pro. I just get lucky sometimes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wield thing is the stock line from where it is bolted on to the bottom tree to where it goes up to the bars is pretty solid. The reduced reach line is all flexible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I just change out the line and worry about bleeding after I get the new bars installed completely.

I assume the only fluid I will lose upon disconnect of the line is what is currently in the line. Correct?

That way I can install the line and bars myself and then have a friend who knows what they are doing come by and help me bleed.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Can I just change out the line and worry about bleeding after I get the new bars installed completely.

I assume the only fluid I will lose upon disconnect of the line is what is currently in the line. Correct?

That way I can install the line and bars myself and then have a friend who knows what they are doing come by and help me bleed.
Whenever any brake line fitting is opened bleeding is required to remove any introduced air from the brake lines. If you have ABS and disconnect more than one brake line connection on the ABS HCU (hydraulic control unit) you'll need to go to a dealer and have them actuate the ECU valves with their Digital Technician to bleed the HCU.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bars are on. Brake Line is on. Now its time to figure out the bleeding part.

Im a city boy. My dad never had tools. Didn't grow up fixing our own things or even around people who did.

I feel like Im finally growing up. :) It's sad really, cause Im 31 with kids of my own. Thank god they are all girls though. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts