Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid question number 87 ,im changing my hand grips ,pulled the throttle side apart turned the yellow bit with screw drivere ,but cant work out what to do after that,i know what needs to be done just cant work out how to do it,do i get some pliers and give the cable a good pull and drag it over the guide or should it be easier than that ,also do i loosen the two steel L shaped cable things under the whole part to make it easier

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
loosen the adjusters (l-shaped thingys) as far as they will go in... that should do it/

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
bwds said:
stupid question number 87 ,im changing my hand grips ,pulled the throttle side apart turned the yellow bit with screw drivere ,but cant work out what to do after that,i know what needs to be done just cant work out how to do it,do i get some pliers and give the cable a good pull and drag it over the guide or should it be easier than that ,also do i loosen the two steel L shaped cable things under the whole part to make it easier
Yes, lossen both cable adjusters to MAX loose. It's still a tight fit but will be possible with them loose.:D Make sure when you put it back together you leave a little slack in the throttle to get the full range of motion in the throttle (about 1/8 turn on the throttle... (free play)):D

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok ,will do that ,,once thats done,should i be able to get em out with or with out pliers??????

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
The throttle cable (the front one) should come out without too much hassle. The idle cable (rear) might need some guidance with a small flat blade screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
bwds said:
ok ,will do that ,,once thats done,should i be able to get em out with or with out pliers??????
I did use a real small pair of needle nose pliers that had no teeth just to grab the cable and coax it into the right spot. The first one I did took me a few minutes to get it in, the second and subsequent ones were easy once I knew how to get the cable in the right spot. As stated above, loosening the adjusters all the way out is a must though..

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whoo hoo ..got it done was easy once loosend the adjusters,,didnt undo them at all before no wonder had trouble...only question now is what do the adjusters adjust and how do you re adjust them ,for the moment ive just put them where i think they looked like they were,,,,,thanks

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
bwds said:
whoo hoo ..got it done was easy once loosend the adjusters,,didnt undo them at all before no wonder had trouble...only question now is what do the adjusters adjust and how do you re adjust them ,for the moment ive just put them where i think they looked like they were,,,,,thanks
The adjusters adjust the tension on the cables. You know the play in the cable before you start to move the throttle bodies?

This is the best advice I have heard on the subject. Link Here.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks r,j took bike out today and i think i got it right ,,,if the man shakes his head at the dyno next week,i know i stuffed it ,but till then,,,, whoohoo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts