Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on going down the 28T Pulley road.
(and would like to take advantage of the group buy)
I admit that changeing from the 30T and doing the work myself freaks me out, as I am not mechanically minded at all.

Just how easy is it to do for a rooky mechanic.
Is it a case of slip the 30T off and put the 28T in it's place, or is there more to it than meets the eye.

What are the axle extenders for?
Does the bike have to be recalibrated in any way?
Do you need another belt to go with the new pulley?

Thanks all. :hmm:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vincent if you go with the TurboTech pulley it is fairly simple. To make the change you remove the cover over the front sprocket, it seems like four allen head bolts, then loosen the three bolts that hold the pulley, this is easiest while the rear tire is on the ground and belt still in place unless you have air tools and an impact. After you have the three bolts broken loose you then loosen the rear axle and turn the axle so the axle can move forward and give you slack in the belt. Then remove the three bolts in the front pulley and you give it a simple 45 degree twist and it will line with the hub and pull right off. Simply reverse this method to reinstall, now I do wrench for a living but the first one I did took less then 15 minutes from start to finish so take your time and it is really easy with basic hand tools. I do suggest that people make the $29.00 investment for a simple torque wrench and the needle pointer kind is fine to make sure and get the bolts torqued properly. My main concern would be the rear axle nut should be at 90 ft pounds.

I used my stock belt but it was at the very end of the adjustment when tight. If you want your speedo to read correct you will need to do a reflash of the PCM but it only effects the speedo that will be off by 7%. So at 100mph your doing 93mph or the same with km/h.

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:stupid: Max is right as usual! ;) Even for a Non wrench like my self it might have taken 30min. max! :diablo:

Attachments

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
ditto and ditto.... my prior wrenching experience before the V-Rod...... erector set.... 8 years old.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Harley kit requires more work and if you think you will want to swap then its real not a good choice. If you never plan to back to 30t the price is good and you get a "proper" belt its shorter. I went the Harley route and am happy to have the spare belt even though I am still running the original at max setting. V-mod.com offers a plug and play speed cal that I am using.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Mike,
Lets be specific! :spank: How much more work is the HD Pulley then the TT Pulley to install? :rolleyes: I'm No Pro but have had to remove the splined Hum and all the other parts to replace a seal and it was a 90 minute Ordeal easily! :eek: The TT Pulley is 4 allens, 3 bolts,and loosen the belt!20 minutes max.The Shorter Belt is COOL Though as the cost of just that is $$$$$$$$ :yak: If it were me the TT Pulley is the way to go.If you not a good mechanic with the right tools"Pulley Puller" it's not a First timers project =HD Pulley Kit.If you only have basic skills ,tools and a Lift you could do the TT Pulley! :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
mvette said:
Harley kit requires more work and if you think you will want to swap then its real not a good choice. If you never plan to back to 30t the price is good and you get a "proper" belt its shorter. I went the Harley route and am happy to have the spare belt even though I am still running the original at max setting. V-mod.com offers a plug and play speed cal that I am using.

Hi mvette,

Which speed calibration unit are you running from v-mod?
was it hard to hook up and set?
Can you give me the details because I am planning to use
something like that instead of the HD flash.

Thanks
Jim

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
I bought the HD 28T kit and had to have the dealer install it because of the special tool required. :-(

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just reread your post and I agree go with the TurboTech as you clearly stated you want an easy install.

This is what I used: http://www.v-mod.com/shop/viewProductDetails.asp?CID=103,302&PID=1341 They offer another one but this one is better as it is just plug and go. There is two dails and you just set one to 7 and your done. If you change your rear tire in the future you can readjust the dails as needed. It plugs in just forward of the seat under the main bus connectors which just sits on two rails.

Yes there is more work in the Harley setup, you will need a general puller and the main nut is a pain as the the engine will try to spin on you as you try to break it lose. I used a inpact which is stated clearly not to do (I like to read the install info after I am done). I am a cheap bastered and for the savings and the belt I would do it again (without the inpact). It was not that hugh of a deal for me. I would not even think about it if I wanted to go back to 30t at times but I will never reinstall that 30t again. The Harley 28t weighs more then the others and I feel stronger but the weight and it being stronger really is mute as I am sure the others will not give you any problems and the weight being right on the output shaft should not result in loss of power. I just wanted to throw another option out there as for some cost is a factor and the free belt..

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Mvette
Thanks,I couldn't decide which of the 2 speedo cal.to get.I am gonna go with the one you linked.That sounds simple to me, just dial it in. :diablo:

·
EASY RIDER LETS SPIN
61 Posts
28t

What is the advantage of the 28t over the 30t????

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
What is the advantage of the 28t over the 30t????
Those that have done this mod what are your thoughts pro and con on this. Does the gear spread seem better than stock?

·
Registered
336 Posts
It will give you a little more "pep", and will cause you to turn higher rpms at freeway cruising speeds. I just swapped my 28 for a 30 on my 04B, but I don't care if the bike is quick..... I just wanted the lower rpms while cruising 75mph.

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
It will give you a little more "pep", and will cause you to turn higher rpms at freeway cruising speeds. I just swapped my 28 for a 30 on my 04B, but I don't care if the bike is quick..... I just wanted the lower rpms while cruising 75mph.
You say you did it yourself well did you do it or someone else and what about the difference in speedo readings? Thanks :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts