Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 night rod special. Previous owner had cut away topless and bottomless so i re-ordered both from harley. I've just finished fitting them and also did my front and back plugs replaced with oem plugs. I mainly wanted the airbox restored to reduce all the chattering and noise, however I put it all back together and just fired it up and its making a crazy rattle - i've shut it off and unsure what to do, didn't want to damage the engine.

It threw no codes. I tried it again with the airbox lid off to determine where the noise might be coming from but no luck. Its definitely not the clips or anything else, almost sounds like its coming from around the throttle body.

I'd topped up the coolant overflow bottle with a touch of HD coolant too.

Really not sure what the issue is, was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I'm thinking of pulling both sets of plugs again and reinstalling. Gap was checked first and it was fine.

Thanks in advance!
Shaun

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that one was too tight to get on, but i tried holding that clip in place and the noise is still present very loud from somewhere else unfortunately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear is but front definitely isnt I just discovered! Had trouble seating that - any tips for getting it in place? Do you think that could account for all that noise? I'm pulling it all apart now and will try to get it right

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nailed it mate, thank you! Just looked at the front breather tube i had on previously and the previous owner had an extension pipe put in place - the standard breather tube doesn't reach, i think these might be bigger throttle bodies than stock. Put it all back in place and huge noise gone! Thank you

·
VRSC est -03
2,628 Posts
Dunno know why the stock tube/pipe does not reach, as far as I know the throttle body shouldn`t be an issue. Have to be well seated, otherwise there will be a measurable oil leak.
Huge noise? Yep, there`s a plenty amount of induction noise w/o top lid. Pleenty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm not sure about that either. When I put the bottom in place with the front breather tube standard it just didn't make contact with the hose below at all. That's when I noticed that the previous owner had an extension piece of tubing in place. I reinstalled that and all was well. I thought the throttle body may be non-original, and taller - therefore the breather tube had further to go down to reach the connecting hose below.

·
Registered
271 Posts
As for seating it... mine was difficult to line up at the bottom end and the O-ring leaked. I installed it to the head first with a little permatex and disconnect and re connect it at the air box itself. Much easier this way and no leak

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very interesting, I'm tempted to pull it apart and try this to see if i can get it to line up. thanks for the tip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts