Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tjack
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I am loving my new DX. I know it is very touchy subject, but on breakin and oil change. I tend to break in a new motor just like I will ride it or even a little harder. I changed the oil in my DX at 350 miles and holy crap at the metal in the oil. The oil plug has a magnet to catch metal and it was covered. I know it is only my 2 cents but everyone needs to change their oil early and not wait till the 1000 mile service. I wish I took time to take pictures of the oil and plug but I didn't. The oil that moves around in the tranny does not always go through the oil filter.

I am loving this bike and I would hate to loose power because of a late oil change.

I am including a picture of both of my bikes. I broke the 954rr in very hard and I have 22,000+ miles on the speed o-meter. It was the same way with alot of trash in the oil when I first changed it.

There is a thread on the break in and it has a good link to http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. It has alot of good info.

I just ask everyone that has not changed their oil yet to pull the dipstick and look and smell it. You can tell if it needs it.

Attachments

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I was just getting ready to fire up the grill. Now I gotta go change my f***ing oil.

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
I broke my ride in according to the owners manual. When I changed my oil last month at 1064mi there was a little powdery metal residue on the magnet; alot less than I thought I would find. I'm not particularly hard on my bike and it is still stock.

06 VRSCR

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
prplhays said:
I broke my ride in according to the owners manual. When I changed my oil last month at 1064mi there was a little powdery metal residue on the magnet; alot less than I thought I would find. I'm not particularly hard on my bike and it is still stock.

06 VRSCR

As others have stated ride it like you plan on riding it for the life of the bike. Read up on some of the threads people are talking about oil consumption.

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Oil a side, that is a nice F'en pair of bikes my friend!! Nice job!

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
I had my 1K mile service about 3 weeks ago. I gave it a hard break in as well and nothing was found in my oil. The belt needed to be tightened, but that was all.

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
tjack10514 said:
Hey Guys, I am loving my new DX. I know it is very touchy subject, but on breakin and oil change. I tend to break in a new motor just like I will ride it or even a little harder. I changed the oil in my DX at 350 miles and holy crap at the metal in the oil. The oil plug has a magnet to catch metal and it was covered. I know it is only my 2 cents but everyone needs to change their oil early and not wait till the 1000 mile service. I wish I took time to take pictures of the oil and plug but I didn't. The oil that moves around in the tranny does not always go through the oil filter.
:welcome: :vrodforu: :welcome:

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
parkus said:
Does anyone actually know someone who ruined a V-rod motor breaking it in too hard?
Thats a good question. I don't. My wife's 05 and my 07 are running just fine.

·
Whig party
32 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Maybe all that metal in your oil comes form trashing a brand new engine.

Good thing that opinions are just that...
:them:
Oil cleans, cools, cushions, lubricates, protects, and seals. I guarantee the pin heads that built your engine and wrote the owners book about proper break in probably know more than you do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts