Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oval v&h muffler is way too loud for the long trips. I could not find any quiet replacement baffler for it?
Im looking for a rather quiet muffler option with a deep tone, to slide on to the v&h 2-1 header pipe.

Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Make a baffle which attaches to the original muffler that way you can lengthen or shorten it to get the tone you want.

·
Non-Registered User
15 Posts
I always thought supertrap mufflers had a huge range of volume due to the amount of discs that you used. I'm not familiar with oval v&h mufflers. Will supertraps fit?

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
A supertrapp will do it. The V5 is 5 inches, but Summit racing has smaller ones, for lots less. Slips right on. Fab a bracket to hold it. Joe

·
Want Monster
69 Posts
Ipod

I love my V&H 2:1:moped:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the V&H 2-1 baffler 1 piece?
Just wondering if the first owner perhaps removed something?

I cant see any drilling been done.

I did take the baffler out, (it is only 1 piece) and repacked it with new exhaust wool. Did not help mutch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I run v&h Indy headers with a supertrap 5" with the discs and I love the sound.. It doesn't have the Harley sound that I have begun to hate since all I ride with are air coolers... Boring!!!! My muffler is mounted to the passenger peg bracket.. I tried removing discs for a louder tone but I didn't hear a difference with even all the disc out...

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
Jim,

I just installed this V&H 2:1 pipe on my R. I had V-mod II baffles added to my stock cans prior to this. I loved the v-mod IIs (not loud and a nice rumble) but i needed to find a way to relocate the passenger pegs forward... so the stock system had to go. The dual can set up blocked the swingarm mounting holes. The V&H mounts lower to the frame and has the single can. This allowed me to move the pegs to the swingarm.

I wear custom fitted ear plugs religiously and it helps me out on the long rides. Have you tried this? A set of custom ear plugs may be all you need.

Good luck!

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
I always thought supertrap mufflers had a huge range of volume due to the amount of discs that you used. I'm not familiar with oval v&h mufflers. Will supertraps fit?
I tried the Supertapps and they were louder than the stock system, but not too loud. The weird thing about them is that they radiate the sound differently than the stock system due to the disks. The sound radiates perpendicular to the pipe rather than parallel to the pipe. I found this annoying as it reverberated inside my full face helmet.

Keep this in mind if you are sensitive to noise as I am. This may not be a factor if you don't ride with a full face helmet.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive been riding naked bikes with open pipes for about 27 years, but sadly im now having a bit of a Tinnitus problem at night, so better take it seriously!
I use good quality earplugs nowadays, but back in time nobody including myself use this things.

Seems logical that the disks preventing the noise to travel backwards.
However i think SuperTrapp's SuperLight Stainless Universal muffler with that end pipe will prevent this?

I also want to install a detachable windshield, tall enough to take the wind above my head. Im 5.11.
Any suggestions??

Thanks

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
The SuperTrap by design has a straight through baffle core as do many others, this is supplemented by an exit system that blocks the straight through exit and routes the gasses to exit radially around the edge of the muffler between stacked discs. Removing discs reduces the available exit area and also reduces sound.
Many take the end cap and put a hole in the middle or remove it and the discs all together which defeats the design.
Disc removal or addition allows you to tune back pressure and adjust sound level.

They got their start making Spark Arrestor approved silencers for off road bikes back in the 70's and have in the passed several years developed attractive road systems.

The early models used a single hook bolt with an external spring and locknut to retain the end cap, which is not very attractive for customs and road bikes. The newer design retains the end cap with several socket cap screws. The only issue I am aware of related to that is the screws are stainless into stainless and have a tendency to gall and sieze with exposure to heat and gas residues. This can be moderated by use of an anti-sieze compound on the screws before the silencer is ever installed.

To get the correct size you'll need to remove the exiting muffler and measure the diameter of the pipe. Chances are it will be a nominal Inch size, 2", 2 1/4", 2 1/2" etc. Bare SuperTrap mufflers are purchased based on that fitment size.

Visit the website and view the examples
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/universal/index.asp

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
The SuperTrap by design has a straight through baffle core as do many others, this is supplemented by an exit system that blocks the straight through exit and routes the gasses to exit radially around the edge of the muffler between stacked discs. Removing discs reduces the available exit area and also reduces sound.
Many take the end cap and put a hole in the middle or remove it and the discs all together which defeats the design.
Disc removal or addition allows you to tune back pressure and adjust sound level.

They got their start making Spark Arrestor approved silences for oof road bikes back in the 70's and have in the passed several years developed attractive road systems.

The early models used a single hook bolt with an external spring and locknut to retain the end cap, whioch is not very attractive for customs and road bikes. The newer design retains the end cap with several socket cap screws. The only issue I am aware of related to that is the screws are stainless into stainless and have a tendency to gall and sieze with exposure to heat and gas residues. This can be moderated by use of an anti-sieze compound on the screws before the silencer is ever installed.

To get the correct size you'll need to remove the exiting muffler and measure the diameter of the pipe. Chances are it will be a nominal Inch size, 2", 2 1/4", 2 1/2" etc. Bare SuperTrap mufflers are purchased based on that fitment size.

Visit the website and view the examples
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/universal/index.asp
Thanks for sharing this info and link. If the pipe gets louder over time i may want to look into this myself. :thumb:

·
Agave Idiots :)
337 Posts
I am running the RH 2-1 (love it) but have the similar problem on long rides. Just a little too loud.
Bought a 3" Dynatech Vortex Cone from Jegs performance.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynatech/Dynatech-Vortex-Insert-Cones/750014/10002/-1

Cut it back about 3/8' until it just fit in the end of the header, had it tacked in by local muffler shop then put the RH muffler back on. Kept the same nice deep throaty tone just knocked the piercing high end off the top when riding at 4500-6500 RPM. Because of the cone shape area it does not reduce the exhaust flow and didn't seem to change the performance at all.
Can now ride and feel I don't have to wear ear plugs all the time.
Just another option.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats true..

However, to USE the R in my daily commuting life,, it would be nice to be able to open the trottle fully now and then, without risking a fine!

Thanks for the dynatech info:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
There are not many options for Rs. The SuperTrappe seems best to me for noise reduction and tunability. I saw a thread recently about Akrpovik system, big$$$ but might suit your needs.
HD has a windshield for the R, they pop up here for sale once it a while. You can try to order from HD

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still running with V&H 2-1 ..

So, I still didnt change the muffler. Made a baffler, but not a good fix, strange sound.
I did measure the header pipe end today, it was 54.25 mm. Can that be right?
I didnt find any slip on mufflers on etc ebay that fit a 54.25 mm pipe?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts