Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow forum members,

I know I can change the Cluster Face Mask (faceplate) to have KM instead of Miles, but how do I go about changing the digital one below (trip A/B/Total) to show KM instead of M? I am sure it's possible since I can see the KM text in there... Any special equipment required for that?? I have a '06 R.

THANKS!

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
dviry said:
Hi fellow forum members,

I know I can change the Cluster Face Mask (faceplate) to have KM instead of Miles, but how do I go about changing the digital one below (trip A/B/Total) to show KM instead of M? I am sure it's possible since I can see the KM text in there... Any special equipment required for that?? I have a '06 R.

THANKS!
It's in the owners manual.

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any specific page? Scanned through a couple of times and couldn't find it :lamer:

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Donwe said:
It's in the owners manual.
I couldn't find where this procedure was explained in the 2002 VRSCA owner's manual, the 2002 VRSCA Electrical Diagnostics Manual, or the 2003 VRSCA and 2005 VRSC Service Manuals (the manuals I have available).

I can only guess that this procedure requires an ECM download from a HD dealer.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
wow... I must have read the title and completely missed the body. 'So sorry.

anyway... it's a great site for conversions! :thumb:

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone??

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
dviry said:
In looking at HD part numbers for the VRSC IM I noticed that UK VRSC bikes use a "DUAL" mode IM that can apparently be switched to read either MPH or KPH. Other versions are either MPH or KPH. Here in the US, at least for the 2002 VRSCA, only MPH will display.

If you somehow got one of the DUAL types or if these are now being used on the newer models, you'll have to check with either a UK rider or look in the newer manuals to see if this is documented. I couldn't find it in any of my HD manuals (up to 2003 for Electrical Diagnostics and 2005 for the General Service Manual.)

·
fire up !
700 Posts
07 parts manual shows 3 different instrument cluster partnrs. for an R : 1 in mph for domestic + Calif / 1 in kph for Canada, HDI, Austalia, Japan & H105 / 1 dual mph-kph for England but there's only 1 ECM for all (with distinctive programming) so unless you already have the 'England version' i guess there are 3 possibilities :
1. the only difference is just the faceplate (mph or kph or dual mph/kph) then i guess only an ECM reprogramming is needed since the odo's are then being fed directly with proper quantified serial data ex ECM circuitry and will display the wanted UOM
2. the difference is more than just the faceplate i.e. the cluster has also a distinctive UOM chip on board then i think the conversion calls for an ECM reprogramming to get proper quantified serial data AND the corresponding instr cluster for correct display
3. same as 2 but the ECM serial data are just raw data and the distinctive UOM chip in the instrument cluster takes care of the proper conversion & display; in this case only the proper instrument cluster is needed
just a thought, could be way off but i couldn't find any :deal: of a how-to in my owners/service/electr diagnostic manuals either
maybe it's just a matter of pushing a button after all ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts