Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ran across this the other day while I was looking through the vehicle code (Yes, I work in a small borough and have a lot of time). There has been a change to the vehicle code covering led's and other lights on your bike. Looks like just about anything is allowed now. Im glad to see that the local government is finally using their heads. Here is the actual words from the vehicle code:
§ 4310. Motorcycle lighting.
Auxiliary lighting may be added to a motorcycle to protect the driver, including blue dot
illumination, standard bulb running lights and light-emitting diode (LED) pods and strips.
(June 29, 2006, P.L.205, No.50, eff. 60 days)
2006 Amendment. Act 50 added section 4310.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
thats a good thing

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Makes sense to make us more visible.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Cool, time to light mine up like a christmas tree!

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
That sounds like a good idea that is overdue

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Wait, something is horribly wrong...a law that makes sense? Whoa...

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
I'm perplexed. A written law that makes sense and with so few words. I like it.

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Wow ! I can't believe that came from our vehicle code! That is the shortist, and most to the point, law I have ever seen! It must NOT have been written by a lawyer......(Like the rest of it)!

I would advise, if you are running Auxiliary lights, to carry a copy of PAVC 4310, I think this is a new law, I don't remember it from this years in-service training, (I may just have missed this section:bash: but I am usually on the lookout for motorcycle related laws! ). The new laws do take awhile to get filtered down to the street cops!

If you are stopped for lighting, and have a copy of this section, it may keep you from getting any static!

Thanks mpddy01.... I'll post this in my Dept. so the guys know about it! I will have to find out how far this is allowed, and if it suppersedes the ornimental lighting section. I could see a problem of running Red and Blue combination LED's, strobes, or having your bike set up like the flying saucer in "close encounters"!

Don't get me wrong, this sounds like a good law for bikers, I am just unsure how it will be applied!

Fred

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fred, I was thinking the same thing about the red and blues, Im just really surprised that they made it so short and simple, I dont think any law in PA is simple. Im sure there will be an ammendment to this eventully.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
mpddy01 said:
Just ran across this the other day while I was looking through the vehicle code (Yes, I work in a small borough and have a lot of time). There has been a change to the vehicle code covering led's and other lights on your bike. Looks like just about anything is allowed now. Im glad to see that the local government is finally using their heads. Here is the actual words from the vehicle code:
§ 4310. Motorcycle lighting.
Auxiliary lighting may be added to a motorcycle to protect the driver, including blue dot
illumination, standard bulb running lights and light-emitting diode (LED) pods and strips.
(June 29, 2006, P.L.205, No.50, eff. 60 days)
2006 Amendment. Act 50 added section 4310.
mpddy01- WOW that is awesome. What a pain in the butt it has been turning lights on going into an event and then turning them off when leaving. Thanks for taking the time to research that.:thumb:

·
Dog Is My Copilot
434 Posts
1096369fred said:
...I don't remember it from this years in-service training, (I may just have missed this section:bash: but I am usually on the lookout for motorcycle related laws! ). The new laws do take awhile to get filtered down to the street cops!
I don't recall hearing about it in updates, either.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
I checked the code online for sh!ts and giggles and its there. I have some associates in the police business, I'm going to ask them if they have heard about the change. If not, they will know about it tomorrow.

Lawman, What area of Pittsburgh are you from? I'm about 20 minutes north west up route 65.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
of course nothing is taught the same in PA, cause i didnt get it in updates either.......I just stumbled upon it

·
Dog Is My Copilot
434 Posts
258C1 said:
I checked the code online for sh!ts and giggles and its there. I have some associates in the police business, I'm going to ask them if they have heard about the change. If not, they will know about it tomorrow.

Lawman, What area of Pittsburgh are you from? I'm about 20 minutes north west up route 65.
Wexford...shouldn't be too far from ya.

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
masterofpuppets said:
Now do that in Texas damnit!!!! :banghead:
They are allowed in Texas as long as they don't "project" a light further than 75 feet away and they aren't strobing like an emergency vehicle.

There isn't anything in paticular in the law that says they are legal but there is nothing in it that says they are illegal either.

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Yeah I did Act 120 in March, of this year, No Soap! But we only spent a couple of minutes on the Vehicle Code. I don't know how other states work, but title 75 Sucks! You can tell it was written by a lawyer!:duel:

Did anyone else see "Mythbusters", last week "Batman", was described as:
"Nocturnal, Flying Mammal, **** Sapian", (or something like that). I hope my vehicle code analogy, is not too obtuse!

Here is my million dollar idea of the week...... A PDA sized computer, with the crimes code and vehicle code, and maybe the rules of criminal procedure, all searchable, and at your fingertips! I don't know about you guys, but I would pay up to a couple of hundred bucks for that convenience! Plus I HATE doing the updates every year for the V.C and C.C. so that would be worth a few bucks each year to download updates.....

Just a thought! If any of you enterprising folks out there want to steal my idea! Get me one and I will happily R & D it for you!

Fred

1 - 20 of 34 Posts