1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road America , Elkhart Lake , WI

April 23 , 24 , 25

Cheap fun.

About 35 bucks for admission for weekend pass.

'nuff said,

BobT :cheers:

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Just got back - whatta AWESOME weekend!

I can't believe how SMOOTH our F-USA guys are... rocketing through corners at impossible speeds... they made it look SO easy!!! I'm still sifting through my notes on the top finishers in each class but DAMN! THIS is some heady stuff!!

My report on RA:

After much debate, I left the crew chief and bike at home... spent the weekend flagging with our Midwest Safety Crew. Arrived at Siebkins on Thursday afternoon, in time for registration and an evening of benchracing with all my cohorts. Friday morning was clear and crisp... spent the day assigned to Turn 12 (aka "Canada Corner") - with the cool temperatures, the track was pretty "greasy" most of the day and we pulled nearly a dozen bikes out of the "kitty litter" (pea gravel) in the runoff area. Watched a friend of mine take (and pass) the race licensing school, and cheered on all my peers during the various endurance races.

Saturday was even colder... my assignment was Turn 10A (the "Bend" - a newly-created modification designed to slow down riders heading through Road America's legendary "kink"). It's a tricky set of turns - a hard left followed by an even harder right, and I was glad to have had the opportunity to watch and learn the "fast" way through. By now, word had spread through the paddock that I was there - was getting lots of waves and such on the warm-up and cool-down laps as folks went by. We had plenty of run-offs but only one "incident" where a guy high-sided in the second half of the turn and I had to call for the ambulance. Fortunately, he was only shaken up, not hurt. "Bike down, rider down" is a radio call that sends a chill down my spine. We were only able to run 13 of the 15 scheduled events because of computer glitches (scoring is done electronically via transponders, with human "backup"), which placed an even bigger burden on Sunday.

On Sunday, I was assigned to Turn 14 - the final corner before heading up the hill to the checkered flag on the front straight. It had rained the night before, and we were delayed for at least three hours waiting for the fog to clear. Unlike AMA Pro Racing, the CCS/Formula USA series DOES run in the rain... and the damp track combined with cold temps placed an even greater challenge on the riders. To make up time, the sprint races were shortened from the usual 6 to only 3 laps (the schedule for both Saturday and Sunday included 15 races each). Despite the best efforts of staff we were unable to get all the events in, due in part to the weather and several incidents which required extensive track clean-up.

To me, cornerworking is a great way to give something back to the sport. I'm looking forward to pitching in again when my schedule permits - and plan on flagging at the AMA event in June.

Speaking of schedules... CCS' next event will be at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, IL (just north of Rockford) over the weekend of May 8-9. I'll be competing in Sunday's Heavyweight SuperSport, Heavyweight SuperBike and SuperTwins sprint races on my TLR.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I did was walk around and watch a little racing.
Cheap fix on a Saturday morning.
I was falling a sleep by noon and told the kids we better take off soon. Cold, and tired do not mix well. I was probably a crab-a$$. (remember I work 3rd in the trainyard and it rained all night in MKE).
Car show/swap at Jefferson on Sunday.
Love those Hemi Mopars.
I see the commercial for the 300C and it says the hemi comes standard in the car and the price starts at 23,900 ---- I am thinking of trading in the truck or selling one of my scoots for one. I know "off subject" , sorry,
BobT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts