Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about all the benefits of Amsoil on this forum, I decided to change over at my next oil change. That was 2950 miles ago. My bike has not shifted smoother since I got it, nor has it used any oil since the change.
When I had regular 20w50 HD oil I was adding almost a half qt every 500-700 miles. Like I said, since the change, I have yet to add a drop. I just got back from a 1200 mile ride down south (great meeting the members I rode with by the way) and everytime I checked my oil along the way, it was the same,,,,,FULL!! I couldn't be happier. It has saved me from having to buy a qt here or a qt there while out riding.
So I am challanging other members that are using Amsoil and noticing the savings to hit that Green Donation button on the home page. I just sent Max the cost of what 5 qts of HD 20w50 would be, usually right at 25.00 bucks. I know thats not much, but hey, If I hadnt switched, I'd be sending that 25 to the MoCo for some oil, plus the cost of a filter, plus adding some here and there. I also wouldnt be getting all the great advice that is here on the forum.
Checks in the mail Max.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Changed my oil on my 2003 100th to Amsoil back at christmass time and have 5 k on it with out adding any since the last oil service. verry satisfied with the change..TXToad proud P.G.R. Rider FT Worth Tx

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
What's the change interval with Amsoil? I changed mine out last week.

·
Registered
519 Posts
jmullins said:
After reading about all the benefits of Amsoil on this forum, I decided to change over at my next oil change. That was 2950 miles ago. My bike has not shifted smoother since I got it, nor has it used any oil since the change.
When I had regular 20w50 HD oil I was adding almost a half qt every 500-700 miles. Like I said, since the change, I have yet to add a drop. I just got back from a 1200 mile ride down south (great meeting the members I rode with by the way) and everytime I checked my oil along the way, it was the same,,,,,FULL!! I couldn't be happier. It has saved me from having to buy a qt here or a qt there while out riding.
So I am challanging other members that are using Amsoil and noticing the savings to hit that Green Donation button on the home page. I just sent Max the cost of what 5 qts of HD 20w50 would be, usually right at 25.00 bucks. I know thats not much, but hey, If I hadnt switched, I'd be sending that 25 to the MoCo for some oil, plus the cost of a filter, plus adding some here and there. I also wouldnt be getting all the great advice that is here on the forum.
Checks in the mail Max.
That is a pretty good reduction in oil burnoff (or whatever was happening in your case) using synthetic. What the hell were you using before? And, sometimes users of synthetic oil see the reverse results you have seen with more oil loss over time.

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
jmullins said:
When I had regular 20w50 HD oil I was adding almost a half qt every 500-700 miles. .
Were you using SYN3?
We charge almost 10 bucks a qt. for SYN3. It is about half that for the regular HD 20W50.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
While I wasn't using oil, I changed over to Amsoil at 5k on the nightrod and could immediately tell a difference with shifting. Much better. I am sold on it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It is great stuff, I need to contact Ken to order another case and two filters soon...............

This oil has been in my bike since the 500 mile mark!!!

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
jmullins said:
Checks in the mail Max.

Jeff, this is great news. I will be matching your $25 to Max as soon as I submit this reply. Great Idea!!!

Ken

EDIT (4:44pm) Consider it DONE. Thanks Max

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Same here. Much smoother shifting and zip oil usage since switching both the V and the rice rocket to Amsoil.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
myneed4speed said:
Were you using SYN3?
We charge almost 10 bucks a qt. for SYN3. It is about half that for the regular HD 20W50.

No, just the reg old cheap HD 20w50. 4.95 per qt

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I've been running SYN3 since my first change. I was told by a mechanic
(not Harley) that changing brands is not good for the bike. Or is this B.S.??
I want to change to Amsoil.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HoneyB said:

Seems to me it is synthetic B.S.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
HoneyB said:
Nah.

You can change between oils whenever you wish. For HD to AMSOIL to Mobil to AMSOIL................ Sounds like the myth where people CLAIMED once you run syn you cannot go back to conventional, NOT True.

It is all a matter of choice and preference.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
I'm not being pessimistic or giving anyone crap, as there is probably a good answer that I just don't know and it's the main reason why I have not switched to Amsoil.... if it is this good, why is it not available at fine auto centers nationwide or heck, even Neiman Marcus? Why is it primarily sold by "Amsoil Representatives"?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
I'm not being pessimistic or giving anyone crap, as there is probably a good answer that I just don't know and it's the main reason why I have not switched to Amsoil.... if it is this good, why is it not available at fine auto centers nationwide or heck, even Neiman Marcus? Why is it primarily sold by "Amsoil Representatives"?

Doc, you have a legit question here. AMSOIL is distributed by independent dealers, such as myself, just like Schaefer's and other "boutique" oils. The company was started with a handful of dealers trying to cover the nation and grew from there. Al Amatuzio saw the value of these dealers to his company. Instead of turning his back on them and selling out to large chains that would undercut the dealer pricing he maintained his stand on supporting the little guy. The large chains have been in contact with AMSOIL but continue to get turned away, you have to give them credit for that.

On a second note, I can very well set up Retail Accounts such as HD dealers like Cycle-Connection have done and small shops like V-Mod have done. I would love to do more of these as well. There are rules that need to be met for accounts such as a 12 store maximum.

Hope that helps.
Ken

·
Registered
519 Posts
o2man98 said:
Doc, you have a legit question here. AMSOIL is distributed by independent dealers, such as myself, just like Schaefer's and other "boutique" oils. The company was started with a handful of dealers trying to cover the nation and grew from there. Al Amatuzio saw the value of these dealers to his company. Instead of turning his back on them and selling out to large chains that would undercut the dealer pricing he maintained his stand on supporting the little guy. The large chains have been in contact with AMSOIL but continue to get turned away, you have to give them credit for that.

On a second note, I can very well set up Retail Accounts such as HD dealers like Cycle-Connection have done and small shops like V-Mod have done. I would love to do more of these as well. There are rules that need to be met for accounts such as a 12 store maximum.

Hope that helps.
Ken
removed

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
jmullins said:
No, just the reg old cheap HD 20w50. 4.95 per qt

Maybe someone can help me understand this, you said your not running SYN3 and you had poor performance. Then you switched to synthetic and now there is an amazing difference.
I thought V-rods required synthetic oil.

I am going to make the AMSOIL switch at the next change but I am just looking for some clarification on your issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts