Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice. Attched is a program i found to figure gear ratios. Trask sells a chain conversion for cush drive motorcycles but dont show vrod on list of compatible bikes. That gear ratio is 25F 52R with a 530pitch 130chain. The other on i found is vreelands conversion. Counted what they showed but said they can do any ratio. Their pic shows a 19F and a 52R with a 530/130chain. My question is who is running chain what are your ratios and top speed per gear or any other findings youve found? I have a 2009 Vrscdx with mods pushing 130hp and 84tq. Looking to do more eventually. The 25/52 is that going to run okay on the bike or should it be different is it going to break the tire every time? Hows the torque going to act? Looking for better performance out of the bike with chain and better cruising rpms but also higher top ends speeds. Thank you in advanced. Also any advice also what i should lookinto buying to along with chain or better sprockets or anything.

Attachments

·
"Vrod King"
847 Posts
My '05 has a 21 front & 56 rear. My '09 has 22 front with a 57 rear. I'm planning to drop my '09 to maybe a 51 or 52 on the rear for better mileage on the highway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike_w hows your acceleration still the same? Or slower? Would dropping to a 51 or 52 drop your acceleration?

·
"Vrod King"
847 Posts
22/57 is pretty much the same as stock (28/72). Dropping the rear down to 51 or 52, I would lose a little out of the hole. But then I'm not drag racing it and the turbo helps out too. I think it would be hard to say. It will still push your eyeballs back in the shocks. :hmm:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Unless it is a strip only bike, stick with the belt. It is: stronger, lighter, lasts longer, less maintenance, safer, just to name a few benefits.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Any problem with the chain rubbing on the swingarm at the pivot or slapping around mike_w ? That's a long swing arm for a chain without some kinda guide, rub block or roller I do like the chain and wonder as well about the weight - the sprockets gotta be much lighter than the pulleys heck that 30 tooth I got weighs 4 1/4 Lbs by itself and rear pulley about the same probably 5+ Lbs., with cush drive it's over 9 Lbs. Obviously the belt weighs a hell of a lot less than that long chain but a chain throws Chain Wax on my Triumph so more cleaning is required also - For now I'm sticking with 30/72 belt setup for the same reasons as SwampBoogie Doug says - :blahblah::D

·
"Vrod King"
847 Posts
I did change the bolt for the top chain/belt guard to a nylon bolt instead of the steel one. I'm not running the lower guard on it. I also made my own axle stops/adjusters to keep the axle from twisting on the cams due to the occasion hard launch for the light to light runs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts