Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

CFR vs V-Modedd pipes

3K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  1RUSSIAN 
#1 ·
Hi, My name is Jimmy Velez and I work as a Salesman at New Roc harley Davidson, which is on our main page as a trusted dealer. I own a 2003 VRSCA and for a long time had wanted to upgrade from my V-mod pipes to a CFR. I finallly got to hear a CFR in person, after someone traded a Nightrod and decided to take it for a spin just now. Well I just got back and honestly say that "In my opinion" the V-modded pipes sound much deeper. So I'm glad to announce that I am for once, extremely happy with my current setup. I feel like I've reached bike Nirvana (never really going to happen but hey) Does anyone feel the same way about the V-MODS?

I have a Gil's box, topless and High Flow air filter which threw my 110 miles per tank out the window (70 miles per tank now) but man she runs strong! no flat spots or popping anywhere.

I am also curious about this new Buell though, I should have them on the floor by September.

#3 ·
I have the PC3/K&N Filter/VMod Pipes.
Mine is smooth as silk, and I love the sound of the vmod pipes. I like the stock look of the pipes too. If only I could figure out how to take off the 25 pounds of weight that the pipes add to the bike!

#4 ·
jimmyvelez said:
Hi, My name is Jimmy Velez and I work as a Salesman at New Roc Harley Davidson, which is on our main page as a trusted dealer. I own a 2003 VRSCA and for a long time had wanted to upgrade from my V-mod pipes to a CFR. I finally got to hear a CFR in person, after someone traded a Nightrod and decided to take it for a spin just now. Well I just got back and honestly say that "In my opinion" the V-modded pipes sound much deeper. So I'm glad to announce that I am for once, extremely happy with my current setup. I feel like I've reached bike Nirvana (never really going to happen but hey) Does anyone feel the same way about the V-MODS?

I have a Gil's box, topless and High Flow air filter which threw my 110 miles per tank out the window (70 miles per tank now) but man she runs strong! no flat spots or popping anywhere.

I am also curious about this new Buell though, I should have them on the floor by September.

What thats crazy I have your exact same set up and I get around 105 still and I spend my fair amount of time in the Red you might be running just a tad rich what are your 4 setting set to?

#6 ·
myneed4speed said:
I loved my V-mods too...but I took them out today. I am tired of the popping and I am done with my PCIII. I am looking at getting the SERT before reistalling them.
Post your map and we'll see if we can fix the decel popping.

#7 ·
I like the v-mod on my bike, when i first did it was shocked at the drop in mpg, but than realized the temp was lower and I was enjoying it more. Had it mapped at HD :deal: and it is running great. My bike definately had the deepest sound out of the other bikes that were being worked on. I like the stock look vs. the straight pipes and now it sounds like a Harley (not a Hardley)

#8 ·
Hi Jimmy,

Excuse my ignorance, but does "v-modded" mean cutting out the inner baffle?

#10 ·
Thanks, yes, I saw the PP presentation, but missed the name "V-Mod".

Looks easy enough to do (famous last words!) - on an 07 AW is this likely to upset the fuelling? I don't really want the expense and complication of a PCIII just for a bit of noise.

#12 ·
Hope you won enough to pay for the fuel :)

But I didn't mean the range - does just V-Modding the exhaust make the thing run lean? Subjectively, it runs pretty lean as stock.

#14 ·
Louis said:
Thanks, yes, I saw the PP presentation, but missed the name "V-Mod".

Looks easy enough to do (famous last words!) - on an 07 AW is this likely to upset the fuelling? I don't really want the expense and complication of a PCIII just for a bit of noise.
You definitely want a PCIII or SERT. You will be running very lean without it. V-Modding the pipes causes a massive drop in back pressure within the system. Going topless and running the K&N filter will jack up the amount of air in the system. You'll need a fueler at the very least to richen up the mix.

#15 ·
I was afraid of that. Hmm. I have long previous for modifying Triumph engines in my youth, and a wide collection of ashtrays made out of damaged pistons to prove it. I'm not sure I fancy going the same route with my V-Rod...

Cheers!

#16 ·
I still have my Sportster, and I love the music of the screaming eagle pipes. I've seen a V-Rod with Vance and Hines pipes that would shatter the windows, but everyone I've talked to has had "side effects". Porsche put a lot of engineering hours into designing the exhaust system, and apparently it took some time for them to get it just right. If it's good enough for Porsche, then by God it should be good enough for me. Not to mention saving the expense of switching exhaust systems. I'm learning to like the sound of my 06 Night Rod when I crack the throttle. I've decided to leave well enough alone. I can also now slip out of the house early Sunday morning without pissing off the neighbors.

#21 ·
stirsvrod said:
I have v-mods/pc/k&n and my bike runs great, much better than stock, my gas mileage didn't drop either (getting 42mpg's on my last 2 tanks). I don't get asked anymore if my bike is running or not either lol.
no doubt about that, can't sneak away anymore though without everyone knowing

#22 ·
I had stock Vmods for awhile and I now have a CFR. I can't see how any of you can compare the two. The CFR is much louder and much much deeper then the Vmods. With my Vmods I would get a high pitched ringing in my ears after a long ride, but I don't get that with the CFR. Plus the CFR just sounds mean at idle. I think it's hands down the best sounding pipe for the Vrod.

#23 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
I had stock Vmods for awhile and I now have a CFR. I can't see how any of you can compare the two. The CFR is much louder and much much deeper then the Vmods. With my Vmods I would get a high pitched ringing in my ears after a long ride, but I don't get that with the CFR. Plus the CFR just sounds mean at idle. I think it's hands down the best sounding pipe for the Vrod.
:them: :them: CFR hands down!!

#24 ·
I've had both and I like the CFR...also you can get a baffle for it which changes it's tune a little bit...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.