Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I luv the CFR sound. I like the looks. I like the way it got rid of that ten ton weight of a stock exhaust, but GD its a PainInTheAss.
Ive been trying all sorts of PC3 maps. Always getting the popping on decel. Just had it Dynoed this week. It really helped the lower power end, but it POPs like a Mo Fo. Pops is an understatement. It explodes. Its so damn annoying it gets me all tense riding it. Also it used to be a smooth bike with almost no vibration. Now my damn hands are almost numb after a 30 min ride. And thats with gel gloves.
Is there no way to tune this beast and get rid of the popping??

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
pigdog said:
I luv the CFR sound. I like the looks. I like the way it got rid of that ten ton weight of a stock exhaust, but GD its a PainInTheAss.
Ive been trying all sorts of PC3 maps. Always getting the popping on decel. Just had it Dynoed this week. It really helped the lower power end, but it POPs like a Mo Fo. Pops is an understatement. It explodes. Its so damn annoying it gets me all tense riding it. Also it used to be a smooth bike with almost no vibration. Now my damn hands are almost numb after a 30 min ride. And thats with gel gloves.
I ran a cfr pipe for over a year before I got the turbo and my bike ran perfect. I used a modified 16 gauge map with a race tuner and loved everything except the mileage. All the things you complain about sounds like a tune issue.

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
I think the popping on decel is, to some extent, a symptom of the PCIII. When I ran v-modded stockers, I ran RJ's map, which is well known as one of the best. I still had popping on decel. I swapped to the RT, and have just about zero popping on decel.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Exhaust leak at the collector!!!!, it is impossible to tune this pipe correctly when there is a leak no matter how small. Once you address that issue, tunning will be quick. I sealed mine with high temp sealer and cranked the clamp.

Take a piece of garden hose, start the bike and put one end to your ear while running the other end down the pipe, you will hear a distinct clicking if there is a leak at the collector.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had it Dynoed at the Dealer. They had it for 2 days trying to get it right. I was kind of surprised with the amount of popping when I got it back. That was what I took it in for was to get rid of the popping.
I'll post my Dyno results later. Maybe that will show something.

I also had its 5k service done. They indicated there was an exhaust leak, and tighted it up to spec

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Take a piece of garden hose, start the bike and put one end to your ear while running the other end down the pipe, you will hear a distinct clicking if there is a leak at the collector.

Your kidding, right??? You do that with a CFR pipe and say goodbye eardrum LOL:)

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
pigdog said:
Four words: Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner. If they ask "tune for performance, fuel economy, or split it down the middle", say "performance". I'm getting virtually NO decel popping.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
pigdog said:
Post your map and we'll see if we can fix it.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
sburke91 said:
I think the popping on decel is, to some extent, a symptom of the PCIII. When I ran v-modded stockers, I ran RJ's map, which is well known as one of the best. I still had popping on decel. I swapped to the RT, and have just about zero popping on decel.
It is not a symptom of the PC3 it is a symptom of the person that tuned it!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
What causes Backfiring
"Deceleration Backfiring" is the most common backfiring that occurs when you change down and throttle off.
"In general, backfiring on deceleration (as opposed to acceleration) is generally caused by a lean condition in the pilot circuit. What happens is that the mixture leans out enough to where is fails to ignite consistently. This, in turn allows some un-burnt fuel to get into the exhaust pipes. Then when the engine does fire, these un-burnt gasses are ignited in the exhaust pipe, causing the backfire.

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
Spaz said:
What causes Backfiring
"Deceleration Backfiring" is the most common backfiring that occurs when you change down and throttle off.
"In general, backfiring on deceleration (as opposed to acceleration) is generally caused by a lean condition in the pilot circuit. What happens is that the mixture leans out enough to where is fails to ignite consistently. This, in turn allows some un-burnt fuel to get into the exhaust pipes. Then when the engine does fire, these un-burnt gasses are ignited in the exhaust pipe, causing the backfire.

Thanks, Spaz. This helps with my problem too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
pigdog said:
I had a similar issue with mine and "popping"

The guy who tuned mine thought there was an air leak where cold air was mixing with the hot exhaust.

You may try finding some exhaust tape for a car and wrapping your seams.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
masterofpuppets said:
Does decel popping hurt the bike at all or is it just annoying?
It's basically just annoying.

904 Posts
I used the map posted a while back by "creep" -- plug & play, it's perfect for my setup. Smooth & strong all the way up the powerband, and the only time I've ever got decel-popping is after lugging it around on a "slow ride day" and even then it's very minor. With normal riding using the full rev-range I've never had any popping.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I got a race tuner and rj's map and the thing runs mint.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Get used to it. I agree the popping is loud, VERY LOUD. I had my bike tuned by Carl's Speed Shop in Daytona and it took them 3 hours to tune each cylinder individually. He tuned it for maximum performance and the bike runs strong all the way through. During the tuning, I noticed the popping. I asked him to get rid of the popping (basically from 4k down). He got rid of the popping but the bike did not run as strong. So he asked me which was more important......

The bike is still popping. I am used to it now. If I wear my full face, I don't hear it anymore. Good luck.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Getting rid of the popping will have nothing to do with how the bike runs what so ever, the only adjustments to get rid of the popping is at zero % throttle so how can it effect how it runs?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I had popping for a bit but then I got my CFR Fueler dialed in juuuust right and good-bye popping. Then I got a SERT, I had some great maps for it and there was a bit of decel popping, but then I got "The Map to End All Maps" (for my set-up, at least) and the popping's gone. Thanks DOC!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts