Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
San Diego |07 DX|
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the pipe on now and love it. Just have a couple questions to see if anyone else experiences the same as me.
1) The first day i rode w/ it on, i scraped the pipe 3 times on right turns. Do you experience the same?

2) The heat sheild w/ the CFR does not align w/ the stock heat sheild too well. The paint on the stock heat sheild was scrapped (at the end of the sheild) from the stock set up so the cfr sheild slides back and now i can see the paint scrapes. Anyone else have this problem?

I'll post pictures soon...

·
Registered
186 Posts
1) Did you flip the bracket? Even with the bracket flipped, I still hit on occasion. At least you can't see it.

2) That was my experience as well. It's barely noticeable.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
As stated above, flip the bracket for a little more clearance. I overlapped the CFR heatshields bu .5" by the head pipe shield.

·
Made in Ceylon
505 Posts
BRITT76 said:
1) The first day i rode w/ it on, i scraped the pipe 3 times on right turns. Do you experience the same?
Yes. Soon your bottom revert will disappear.
Last Sunday I was riding with my friends in route 66. I was the last one before the sweeper. I pushed the gear from 5th to 4th and rolled the throttle. The CFR tip and baffle came out of the pipe and bounces on highway. Hit my friend’s bike and hit his leg, nothing happen to him.
So I came home with straight pipe and messed up tip and baffle in friend’s saddle bag.

·
San Diego |07 DX|
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
0k- i went for a long ride this weekend and now i have more questions about the CFR.
1) the heat shield rattled loose and almost fell off before i stopped to take it off. Now my pipe is scratched up. Anyone else have this problem? I am wondering if the 'overlap' issues as stated above has anything to do w/ it?
2) Once everything is heated up, the whole freaking pipe moves all over the place. I was moving the underside of the pipe (at the end) around w/ my boot and the whole pipe was moving past the slip on connection. I verified that all the bolts were tight. It just does not seem right. Anyone else have this problem?
It is really starting to piss me off, unfortunately, because i like the look/sound.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
As long as everything is tight there shouldnt be a problem.

1. Make sure the pipe is all up way up on the header pipes. I marked where the OE pipe was with a sharpie. I had to use a book and a rubber mallet to smack the end of the pipe to get it up to the mark I made.

2. The OE exhaust clamp "figure 8 clamp' may or may not be reused. Some people have not had any luck getting it to work.

3. Check the header bolts. I had to manipulate the header pipes a bit during my install (see #1) and retorqued them.

4. Check all of your bolts.

·
San Diego |07 DX|
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is what i did to fix everything.
1) I called cary and he gave me some pointers for my pipe.
2) Remove outside heat sheild and loosen the header bolts. Actually, on my bike they were already freaking loose!! This was probably why everything seemed to 'fall apart'. Not sure whose fault this was since i am not sure if the tuner who installed the pipe loosened these to install the pipe.
3) I bought a tail pipe expander at Pepboys and i expanded the stock pipe so that the cfr had a tighter connection on the stock pipe. Cary mentioned he has seen this be an issue as the pipes are sometimes crimped too much at the factory.
4) Re-inserted the CFR trying to ensure that i achieved 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" (2"max) into the stock pipe. I did NOT use a rubber mallot.
5) Tightened everything back down and it's all good now! (except for the one heat shield screw that i stripped out- dangit!!!)

i am 95% happy now. The 5% is due to the trouble and the blemishes on my pipe that i now have.

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
COLOMBO said:
Yes. Soon your bottom revert will disappear.
Last Sunday I was riding with my friends in route 66. I was the last one before the sweeper. I pushed the gear from 5th to 4th and rolled the throttle. The CFR tip and baffle came out of the pipe and bounces on highway. Hit my friend’s bike and hit his leg, nothing happen to him.
So I came home with straight pipe and messed up tip and baffle in friend’s saddle bag.

sounds like mad max.... :rofl:

·
Fitzy - 1302
1,075 Posts
I nearly lost my rivet my first run with it. Along with flipping the bracket I flipped the rubber grommet and found a longer bolt and spaced it with thick washers. That raised it up 1" more. I scrape very little now. I also put some tool oil on the oem clamp and was able to get it tight with no leaks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same problem(and still do) with scraping. I have my bracket flipped, but might have to extend it up more....I ride my DX like I use to ride my RC51. Only problem with that is the RC had TONS more ground clearance. Only other problem I had was with the seal at the inlet of the slip-on. I had to put 700C gasket maker on it....but no leaks now. So I'm happy, just wish that the exhaust would've come with instructions(in reference to the bracket) so I wouldn't have messed it up 5 seconds into the ride.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had mine on the wrong way, initally. It was a forum member who noticed it in my gallery and suggested I changed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts