Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
I have the Big City Thunder baffle: http://www.bigcitythunder.com/

They don't really quiet it down much at all, but it does make it a bit deeper. It seems to provide a significant amount of low-mid power increase over the stock CFR.

The only other alternative I know of is the cone baffle some have installed at the end of the pipe.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
thumbsupracing said:
I have the Big City Thunder baffle: http://www.bigcitythunder.com/

They don't really quiet it down much at all, but it does make it a bit deeper. It seems to provide a significant amount of low-mid power increase over the stock CFR.

The only other alternative I know of is the cone baffle some have installed at the end of the pipe.
Hey Thumbsup,

Did you have to remap after you added this baffle? Which one did you get?

thanks,
ht

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Jegs cone baffle. Do a quick search - Nightmare did a nice write up. Works great.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
It's the Dynatech Vortex cone, available from Jeg's or Summit Racing, approx $70. Get the 3" one. Simple install, drill a little hole in the tabs on the cone, screw into place in the end of the CFR. Takes the earsplitting edge off (in my experience anyway). Only minor tweaks to maps necessary (if any at all).

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
I have not had a chance to remap since installing the BCT baffle. I really wouldn't call it a baffle actually, once you see what it is.

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Cfr

I am running mine with out the baffel. Much more mid to top end power and a bit louder too. To tame it down a bit I have a 3 inch stainless steel vortex cone that is inserted up by the colector. That brought back some low end with out changing the top end too much. I could not be happier with this setup. The key is getting the MAP dialed in.. Right now I get 38 MPG without even trying to conserve fuel.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
I use a Vance and Hines race baffle but had to mod the pipe as seen here

It is the best performance mod I have done.

If you use the vortex cone, make sure you screw it in as you will loose it!

904 Posts
Which BCT baffle would do you use with a CFR pipe, and where does it get mounted?

I had the BCT 'ThunderMonster' baffle in my old Samsons (mounted in the mid-pipe section) and was very impressed with both the sound & performance improvements.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I've got the BCT Thunder Monsters in mine as well. Put them right at the ends of the headers before where the Fig-8 clamp goes.

904 Posts
So with the CFR I'd need to get 2 baffles, one for the end each head pipe?

That's getting pricey at $80 a pop, maybe I'll try the OKIE route and fab a pair of my own...

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
baldharleydude said:
So with the CFR I'd need to get 2 baffles, one for the end each head pipe?

That's getting pricey at $80 a pop, maybe I'll try the OKIE route and fab a pair of my own...
Not really. You can get ONE Vortex cone for the end of the CFR or you can get two Thunder Monsters (sold as a pair) to go at your header pipe ends. You don't have to get both kinds. I think one or the other will suffice. What I have is kinda overkill and I've lost top-end hp (but had quicker response low & mid range).

The cheapest, sound defeating route is just the cone.

904 Posts
Thanks, NightMare. I'm not concerned with quieting the pipes, I like the CFR sound -- but I loved how the BCT unit gave my old pipes a deeper growl, plus boosted the low-mid range power. Would I see some of the same with the BCT baffles in the CFR?

What effect does the vortex cone (alone) have on performance? Hell, I have one still in the box -- guess I should just stick it in and find out for myself!

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Yeah give it a shot Tim, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
DTHDOC said:
I use a Vance and Hines race baffle but had to mod the pipe as seen here

It is the best performance mod I have done.

If you use the vortex cone, make sure you screw it in as you will loose it!
Or, in my case, the tech at the dealer will lose it for you after dyno tuning! To their credit, they are going to pay for the replacement, and re-dyno my bike for me. Pretty stand up, overall.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, CFR is supposedly working on a baffle for thier pipe. They said they'd let me know when it's ready. Maybe if more people contact them on it they will have a better idea of how much priority to place on the project.

Personally, I am going to wait it out because the CFR look is the one I like.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just put the Vortex cone in my CFR. I like it. I bent the wings out a bit and hammered it in so that it sticks upstream of the lip. It was pushed in a little farther than the lip but I didn't move it so that I could see what it would do. It is right where I left it after about 100miles.

Do you think it will fly out if I don't screw it in?

With my luck it will fly out and stick in the forehead of a school bus driver who will then careen across eight lanes of traffic hitting many cars and then fly off of a bridge and land on a gambling boat where the governor is hoping not to be seen and a suicide bomber is just about to change his mind when the front right fender of the school bus presses the detonator. And, of course, this will all happen next to the fuel refinery that will explode in a ball of flames that blinds the pilots of a 747 attempting to land at the recently opened international airport and causes them to lose control of the airplane and hurl into a bank filled with patrons, laying a stream of flaming jet fuel that ends with carcass of the airplane, on top of a car in the parking lot of the district 439 school bus depot, the very car owned by the driver with a vortex cone stuck in his forehead.

I think about things like this. I just want to be safe.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts