Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out cfm for an intercooler project I have been kicking around. As close as I can tell the the stock 1130cc engine at 9500 rpm should be between 161 to 189 cfm. Now I know that you give up something in the translation but if I can build a core that can carry 220-224 cfm what do you guys that are in the know think. Do I need it to be much bigger. Keep in mind size is important in my project so keeping the core as small as possible is a prime objective. I know the bigger it is the more heat it can dissipate but I don't want a huge core on it and I want it to be a simple install on existing Trask systems for anyone that wants to do it.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheatin said:
Must be gettin' hot in Texas!! :angeldev:
I'm looking to see what I can do to scrub some heat for my turbo motor project. I have wanted to do something along these lines since I did the turbo but recently found a company that would build me an intercooler that might stay in the lines I have without uglying up the bike too much.

Oh I just talked with a manufacture on the phone. He told me I wanted 280cfm of flow for my project.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Go Max Go!

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Are you going to have one built that's the same size and shape as the radiator? But just in front of it?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheatin said:
Are you going to have one built that's the same size and shape as the radiator? But just in front of it?
No it won't run in front of the bike. I really think the air in front of the bike is pretty dirty and not much passes into that area, if you do something using the existing open areas they get good air but behind the tire is really dirty air. I plan to keep the lines of the bike and run the intercooler beside the engine to keep things clean and simple. I plan a scoop system to grab air and it may even double to keep the rear cylinder cooler and throttle body cooler as well by scrubbing some dirty air in those areas.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Max said:
I have been trying to figure out cfm for an intercooler project I have been kicking around. As close as I can tell the the stock 1130cc engine at 9500 rpm should be between 161 to 189 cfm. Now I know that you give up something in the translation but if I can build a core that can carry 220-224 cfm what do you guys that are in the know think. Do I need it to be much bigger. Keep in mind size is important in my project so keeping the core as small as possible is a prime objective. I know the bigger it is the more heat it can dissipate but I don't want a huge core on it and I want it to be a simple install on existing Trask systems for anyone that wants to do it.
Max, using stocks dimensions, 100%VE and normally aspirated I calculate 189cfm as well. However, remember that the intercooler air will be compressed and you will have to use a VE of well of 100%.

Using the calculator below I entered:
100mm bore
72mm stroke
2 cylinders
9500rpm
100% VE
75% Turbo Efficiency
8 psig

This gives a flow of 278cfm and 192HP. :notworth: To get more accurate you would surely need the specs on the turbo and intercooler.

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
max, have you considered spraying water over the intercooler like my mates WR1.
he has a separate water bottle under the bonnet and when a cooler charge is needed he presses a button to cool the fins of the intercooler.

·
RICK
648 Posts
Max,
Sounds like a great project. I'm planning on working on the same thing, except it'll be in the winter(off season). To busy and to much to do up here in the summer. Wish I lived farther south. Anyway, keep me posted with progress. I'll be working on several different plumming designs for the cp turbo after October(biketoberfest)

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
A friend of mine that used to do a lot of turbo charging on Porsches said to make an inter cooler right where Max's avatar shows and to scoop from there.
He said without calculating any numbers you could go big enough to make a reasonable difference without getting too big.
Now in his minds eye and mine it might be different...
I did think about molding a ram there sized to one of the intercoolers I had looked up. I just don't know what #'s I was looking at like the ones you stated above.
To me- I think I could make a ram there that would not bother me but, would be very interested in what size intercooler (physically) and the location you are looking at.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JSC said:
A friend of mine that used to do a lot of turbo charging on Porsches said to make an inter cooler right where Max's avatar shows and to scoop from there.
He said without calculating any numbers you could go big enough to make a reasonable difference without getting too big.
Now in his minds eye and mine it might be different...
I did think about molding a ram there sized to one of the intercoolers I had looked up. I just don't know what #'s I was looking at like the ones you stated above.
To me- I think I could make a ram there that would not bother me but, would be very interested in what size intercooler (physically) and the location you are looking at.

The cooler I am working on is a 6 inch core that is 5.1 inches tall and 3.5 inches thick. I have an intercooler company working on it and they have already sent me some drawings. It should easily scrub 15-20 degrees of heat off the intake charge temp.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Max,

Not trying to hijack the thred, but from my experience with intercooling; one needs a lot of space behind it for proper air flow, On a bike where space/looks are at a premium, that can be a challenge.

There is a solution, from experience water/methanol/alcohol injection on bikes works the best because 1) you do not have an obstruction in the system 2) keeps the tops of the pistions/valves free of carbon deposits when used regular basis 3) 25-50 HP can be obtaind without a sweat. 4) when on the road, one can use just water when methanol/alcohol is not available on road trips. 5) one can controll how much to flow/spray delivery and what (ramp up) RPM it starts spraying, and can do this on the fly.

My turbo'd 89 M3 used WI for over 100k+ road/track use and I beat the $hit of it, this car was making 328 HP, and I did not want to run an air-to-air intercooler.

If any one knows who could build me a stainless-steel tank for my Trask turbod V-Rod, that could be mounted over the (behind the front tire) black section center of the radiator from top to bottom. I'm trying to get a tank built to look like a lower fairing and would hold 1.5to 2.0 galons, please contact me. The WI kit is all compleat electronically but just need a tank to compleat it.

·
Banned
53 Posts
bryon muller said:
Max,

Not trying to hijack the thred, but from my experience with intercooling; one needs a lot of space behind it for proper air flow, on a bike where space/looks are at a premium, that can be a challenge.

There is a solution, from experience water/methanol/alcohol injection on bikes works the best because 1) you do not have an obstruction in the system 2) keeps the tops of the pistions/valves free of carbon deposits when used regular basis 3) 25-50 HP can be obtaind without a sweat. 4) when on the road, one can use just water when methanol/alcohol is not available on road trips. 5) one can controll how much to flow/spray delivery and what (ramp up) RPM it starts spraying, and can do this on the fly.

My turbo'd 89 M3 used WI for over 100k+ road/track use and I beat the $hit of it, this car was making 328 HP, and I did not want to run an air-to-air intercooler.

If any one knows who could build me a stainless-steel tank for my Trask turbod V-Rod, that could be mounted over the (behind the front tire) black section center of the radiator from top to bottom. I'm trying to get a tank built to look like a lower fairing and would hold 1.5to 2.0 galons, please contact me. The WI kit is all compleat electronically but just need a tank to compleat it.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Max said:
The cooler I am working on is a 6 inch core that is 5.1 inches tall and 3.5 inches thick. I have an intercooler company working on it and they have already sent me some drawings. It should easily scrub 15-20 degrees of heat off the intake charge temp.
Max,
I can find out exactly what you need,but I would'nt want to step on anyones toes:spank: .
PM me if you want and I'll get you what ever you need:deal: .

Attachments

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
hmmm. 15-20 degrees F. Is it worth it? I found an interesting little calculator at http://www.turbofast.com.au/tfcalc.html
I punched in some numbers for a stock sized v with 8 pounds boost and it says 3 hp gain with 20F (11C) cooling of your charge. Play with the numbers, it is quite interesting. A big-rig air-to-air drops the temp about 100F. That makes a difference. Fun stuff, though! :D

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kerryw said:
hmmm. 15-20 degrees F. Is it worth it? I found an interesting little calculator at http://www.turbofast.com.au/tfcalc.html
I punched in some numbers for a stock sized v with 8 pounds boost and it says 3 hp gain with 20F (11C) cooling of your charge. Play with the numbers, it is quite interesting. A big-rig air-to-air drops the temp about 100F. That makes a difference. Fun stuff, though! :D
I'm not looking for hp gain, I'm looking to scrub temps at cruising speed. On days when it's well over 100 degrees here I'm guessing intake charge temps are running in the 140-150 degree range and I want to bring those down.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
instead of using an air scoop, why dont you run a small small fan behind it? have it activate when you hit WOT

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nightrod81 said:
instead of using an air scoop, why dont you run a small small fan behind it? have it activate when you hit WOT
I must not be making clear what I am doing. I am not concerned with wide open throttle or HP figures. Please forget that. I am trying to bring the air temp down during 80mph cruise speed when it's 110 degrees outside. If I can do this I can lean my fuel mix out and bring some of my fuel mileage back that I give up with the turbo. The last thing I want to do is put another electric fan on the bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts