Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Muscle1
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my First Post so I hope I get this Right..
I am the proud owner of a 2009 Muscle.
I have fitted a Trask Turbo Kit to it Now looking at refurbishing the Gearbox Bearings using Ceramic Bearings throughout including Wheels and Steering Head...
Has anyone been through this exercise and if so please advise.....
PS...
I avoid Chinese Made Products like the Plague

·
Registered
234 Posts
No, no, no......
Ceramics are VERY application specific. HIGH heat. Relitively light load. NO SHOCK LOAD WHATSOEVER. That would be a disaster in trans, and wheels, and steering as all of those components are subject to shock loads. Ceramics are generally used in turbos. And that is only because of the heat involved. Turbos, until ceramic bearings were perfected, had a VERY limited life span. Even now, oil, the correct synthetic oil, that also can handle the heat, made them usable for the common market. Turbos generally have no axial load, mostly radial, and no shock, so that makes them ideal FOR THAT APPLICATION. Stick to timken, SKF, *** for the purposes you mentioned. There will be no benefit whatsoever to use ceramics elsewhere.
John

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is nothing to be gained by the use of them in a street bike. POSSIBLY....... in a full race, where 1 win can cost ANYTHING, it MAY be worth it. Like Ron said, you can choose to piss your hard earned dollars, or rupies, or whatever you have any way you choose, but if you ride on the street, and go farther than walking distance home, you would be wise to spend your cash that will actually make you go faster. .003 sec in a 1/4, youll never know, or feel, except in the purse......
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.