Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the V-Rod forums and thinking of buying either a Night Rod or a Muscle. I like the blacked CDX the best but have been checking out the Muscles lately in black and some of those look good as well. I was wondering if there is a difference in the frames on the 2 bikes? I'm wondering because I want to know if handling is the same or a lot different on the 2 bikes. I can see the obvious differences like the pipes, bodywork, seat etc. but wondered if it was more than that. I've also read that it is harder to get aftermarket parts for the Muscle, is that accurate? One other question is that I test rode a V-Rod the other day with the 240 rear tire for maybe 12 miles. It seemed very stable in a straight line but it felt weird going around turns, like it kept wanting to pop up. I figure I will get used to that but was just wondering if that is normal? Currently I have a Buell Lightning and I know the V will be different, just curious on feedback on this. Thanks for feedback. I loved the ride of the V-Rod by the way, it was very cool.

·
Snapper
1,307 Posts
You'll get use to the 240. You're just use to riding a very different bike you can throw around (Love the lightening!) So it's definitely going to feel very different on the first ride. A lot about the two bikes are very similar. Frames are the same. The Muscle does have a very different sitting feel than the DX. Exhaust options on the DX are endless... the Muscle not so. Mods for the muscle... look and you can find them but yes, the DX has been around longer so at this point there are more. You don't like the plastic wide airbox on the Muscle... switch it to the DX's airbox. But keep in mind, a lot of people with DX's use the Muscles stock rims as a "Mod". Another biggie between the two is the forks... The Muscle uses an inverted fork which the DX doesn't. You'll get opinions from both sides on those but they are nice.

So... there is a little bit of a start that others can add much more to.

Best of luck in your purchase (if you decide to do so)! The bikes really are great and get a lot of attention!

:welcome::vrodforu::welcome::vrodforu::welcome::vrodforu::welcome:

·
Registered abUser
299 Posts
The rake/trail and lean angles are the same. Brakes, forks, clutch - same. I don't see why there should be any performance differences. It just comes down to whether you like the wider look and feel of the muscle.

I find the muscle seat very comfortable on long rides. That passenger pillion seat presses into my back a bit and it feels like you are sitting in a chair.

I also found the low wide reach on the F bars to be a bit better suited to my stance, but thats a very subjective observation.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The DX is 0.6" lower in ground clearance and 0.4" lower at seat height.
(Steering Head) Rake is the same at 34 degrees.
F has 1.1" more Trail.
DX is 0.2" longer in wheelbase.
DX bike weighs 3 lbs more.

The F has the back of its fender chopped off.

The F stock wheels are very cool, and probably the best bargain out there for a DX owner that wants cooler wheels.

I've never ridden an F.

The fat wheel/tire is a different ride. I don't know of any advantage of it other than looks, unless you're drag racing. I notice it grabs in-line (parallel to the bike's direction of travel) seams, pavement height difference, etc., longer, so feels like more effort.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The triple trees on the Muscle do NOT have addition rake but the Triples on the CDX do. That along with the inverted forks of the Muscle give the Muscle a slightly sharper turn in response.

·
Snapper
1,307 Posts
The rake/trail and lean angles are the same. Brakes, forks, clutch - same. I don't see why there should be any performance differences. It just comes down to whether you like the wider look and feel of the muscle.

I find the muscle seat very comfortable on long rides. That passenger pillion seat presses into my back a bit and it feels like you are sitting in a chair.

I also found the low wide reach on the F bars to be a bit better suited to my stance, but thats a very subjective observation.

Totally different...

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I say try both and get the bike you prefer
I was 100% sure I wanted a muscle - until I sat on one.
It just didn't fit (reduced reach pegs, grips & higher seat)

That's my opinion - not yours, you should go try the bikes on and decide - it will come to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses. If I get one I'll post some pics for sure. Have to sell my Buell first, 2010 XB9SX 156 miles on it, Cherry Bomb Red, 100% stock, $7000. Thanks again!
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts