Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fueling up my bike yesterday I noticed fuel gushing out of the left hand side of fuel tank. It appeared that my chrome belt guard had worn a hole through the side of my fuel tank. I get it home and take off my upper belt guard off and I find that it was not the belt guard but it was the actual belt rubbing on the side of the tank. Has anyone else experienced this problem on their bikes? My bike is an 06 VRSCA and has never had the back tire off. It looks like a smaller shim on the left side and a larger shim on the right side may solve my problem. When I look down the both sides of the rear tire it also appears to be out to the right side in relation to the rear fender. How could it be possible for the bike to come from Harley with the wrong shims or mis-aligned rear tire? Is it possible I may have another problem? Thank you in advance for any comments or help.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Should be under warrenty.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
We have seen other belts rub through tanks, yours is the first that I have ever heard of all stock to do it. You havn't changed pulleys or wheels or anything correct?

It is possible for the back tire to come out of alignment from the factory, on my bike in 02 they put the pivots in backwards and the tire was pointed to the left when I picked the bike up. I took the bike back and had to argue with them that it was wrong, finally when we were able to show them on another bike they agreed they were in backwards.

How about some pictures of your setup.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warranty touchy subject

05sevrod said:
Should be under warrenty.
I purchased my bike from a wholesaler not a Canadian Harley dealer. I am suppose to be covered by any Harley dealer except for the fact that the Harley dealers in my area are not happy with a Harley wholesaler selling cheaper bikes imported from the U.S. Service is horrible because of this and the local Harley dealers would love for one of these bikes to sit in their shop all summer waiting for service. I currently have an e-mail in to Rick's Tank as I was planning on upgrding to the larger tank which warranty would not cover anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max said:
We have seen other belts rub through tanks, yours is the first that I have ever heard of all stock to do it. You havn't changed pulleys or wheels or anything correct?

It is possible for the back tire to come out of alignment from the factory, on my bike in 02 they put the pivots in backwards and the tire was pointed to the left when I picked the bike up. I took the bike back and had to argue with them that it was wrong, finally when we were able to show them on another bike they agreed they were in backwards.

How about some pictures of your setup.
Correct I have not changed the pulley or had the back tire off. I am not the best on computers so pictures are above my digital abilities right now. Are there spacers on each side of tire. If so could it be possible that they were switched at the factory.

·
Banned
787 Posts
You don't want to order a new, bigger, expensive tank until you or your dealership figure out what is wrong with your stock bike and stock tank. It has been discussed before how tolerance stacking can have an adverse effect on belt distance from the gas tank. Get if fixed BEFORE you get a bigger tank!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
skipmccall said:
It has been discussed before how tolerance stacking can have an adverse effect on belt distance from the gas tank.
I disagree, this is the first time I have ever heard of a stock bike with a stock belt cutting the tank. I do agree he wants to get it fixed before he installs a bigger tank but it isn't a matter of things stacking up it is a single problem and most likely a back tire way out of alignment that caused the issue. I know Robin wanted to claim all kinds of things but the facts remain that only UE tanks and early aluminum front pulleys have been the only two things to cut holes in tanks to date. That is why some good pictures of your setup would be helpful. Pictures in detail from behind and on the sides of the rear axle. Also with the cover off the belt to see the exact location of the belt on the pulley.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for not contributing more to a thread I started. I had to go off to work shortly after I found my problem. From the time of the original post I have taken off the back tire , swingarm etc. to pull out the tank. When I went to loosen off back axel I noticed thet the Axel nut was no where near the recommended torque Spec. I think it is suppose to be around 140-150 lbs. The nut loosened off very easily.(less than 20 lbs.) I know think that the alignment of tire had changed due to this factor. I also noticed that there were tool marks on the nut, something like a vise grips or pipe wrench marlings on the side of nut.(very suspicious) So I may have been wrong in saying the tire had never been removed or loosened. All I know I bought the bike new and I had never had any reason to loosen or take back tire off. I have temperarily fixed the tank until I can replace with a larger one this winter, and am presently waiting to replace my almost worn out back tire so I can put my bike back together. I am hoping when I go to tighten up my belt that there is in deed the proper clearance.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Well, a loose rear axle will certainly allow everything to move and considering acceleration torque on the rear pulley will twist the wheel clockwise I can see how the belt rubbed through the tank. Yet another reason to check all nuts and bolts before you ride AND never purchase a bike from anyone that cannot perform the PDI and stand by the bike under the warranty period. PDI is supposed to find these issues and I doubt the wholesaler did more than remove it from the crate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mjw930 said:
Well, a loose rear axle will certainly allow everything to move and considering acceleration torque on the rear pulley will twist the wheel clockwise I can see how the belt rubbed through the tank. Yet another reason to check all nuts and bolts before you ride AND never purchase a bike from anyone that cannot perform the PDI and stand by the bike under the warranty period. PDI is supposed to find these issues and I doubt the wholesaler did more than remove it from the crate.
I agree 100%, sometimes saving a few bucks is not always the way to go. Thanks for your time and input on this matter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
X1 MIKE said:
How many miles do you have on the bike and what kind of services has it had?
Sorry for not getting back. The bike has 5000 miles and has not had any service other than basic maintenance. I know suspect that the rear axel nut was not torqued on tight enough and loosened off causing an out of aligned rear tire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Max said:
I disagree, this is the first time I have ever heard of a stock bike with a stock belt cutting the tank. I do agree he wants to get it fixed before he installs a bigger tank but it isn't a matter of things stacking up it is a single problem and most likely a back tire way out of alignment that caused the issue. I know Robin wanted to claim all kinds of things but the facts remain that only UE tanks and early aluminum front pulleys have been the only two things to cut holes in tanks to date. That is why some good pictures of your setup would be helpful. Pictures in detail from behind and on the sides of the rear axle. Also with the cover off the belt to see the exact location of the belt on the pulley.
Sorry I could not get pictures for you Max. I believe you were right from the start. After taking rear axel out I noticed a rather loose axel nut. You stated that it was most likely an out of aligned rear tire. I am now looking at buying a camera for this reason alone. The knowlege and support on this forum is second to none. I have been riding street bikes for 26 years and have owned 5 other bikes. The V-rod is the most favorite bike I have owned and some of that is due to this forum. Thanks again

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I would agree with Mark, if the rear axle is not torqued good when you accelerate the belt tension will pull the right side back causing the belt to walk to the inside and could allow it to contact the tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.