Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - this one is for all you mechnical heads out there

My bike came with the original mufflers fitted - but the previous owner had these really short (30cm) pipes fitted just after the cat.

I asked the dealer to put the originals back on, otherwise I would have never gotten a road-worthy ticket (had to take it over the pits, as it came from Melbourne into WA)

So that said - had it for three weeks and love it.

But of course since the dealer also sent me the other exhaust it has been sitting there in my shed making me wonder.

So last night I took off one exhuast and stuck a short one on - now I am no big fan of getting yellow stickers and even thoguh I kinda knew it would be too loud - I am not one to die without knowing.

So of course - way too loud, so it had to come off and orig back on.

But whilst I did all this I noticed that the fool that had the bike previous had put a screwdrvier through the Cat internals. It's all smashed up - looks a mess - he didnt even bother to take them off on a bench and do it properly.

So here is my set of questions.

Have just bought V&H slip-ons - not here yet

Do I

1) replace the cats
2) finish smashing out the internals
3) remove the cats altogether and run the V&H from the pipe left over (although I do not know if I will have trouble with brackets etc)

I have noticed no issues with the engine with the way the cats currently are.

Please give me your thoughts - have yet to hear what new cats will be worth (dealer has been requested to quote).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are before the orignal exhaust - can be removed separately.

I will take some photo's tonight

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Righto so here is the damage photos.

Just had anouther look and the cat are part of the header pipes so I cannot remove.

Also since I do not have a tool (drill bit etc) long enough I cannot finish smashing out the ceramics.

Looks a mess in there.

So Im thinking I am going to have to replace the header pipes.

Anyone got an original exhaust headers for sale?

·
Dog In Training
1,514 Posts
:them:
I'm amazed the bike runs with that much restriction. I'd just get the head pipes from an 09 or 10 without the cats and be done with it.
:them:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
He needs the US 09 head pipes. If remember correctly all exports models starting in 09 got cats... I would probably go but a drill bit or long enough bit for my air chisel that would allow me to do what I wanted as that would be the cheapest.

·
Registered
40 Posts
He's got the Australian version..With cats..That bites.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm amazed the bike runs with that much restriction. I'd just get the head pipes from an 09 or 10 without the cats and be done with it.
Yep thats exactly what I need to do, but unfortunatly I am unable to locate any headers anywhere at the moment.

I also cannot post to the "Classified WTB" section of this forum for some reason.

If anyone out there has am original set and wish to sell them, please PM me.

Otherwise I will post a WTB when I have access.

I would love start on a heap of mods - but I think I need to fix the basics first.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
first i would do the slip on's,,, then if you dont like the sound buy up a set of headers used from someone here. good luck with it, paul

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
If you cant get the U.S. setup then I would get started with the drill and hammer / chisel. That has to be restrictive as heck. My buddy came to me with his 07 Honda VTX 1800 and it had a cat setup like that. I gutted it and hollowed out his stock can for him and he gained close to 17 HP.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
get some pipe that will fit up the inside of the headder and scrunch that material out.it will take some perserverence but it will break away.vacume as you go.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks mate - I have contacted the buyer to see what it will cost in postage "fingers crossed"

·
Registered
506 Posts
Seems the German headers have cats in them too.
Why not remove yours, take them to an exhaust place and have them cut the cats out and weld in a straight through piece of pipe?
OR...get a length of reo (steel bar) and just ram it up there and smash the cats out?

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
:popcorn :popcorn
Waiting to hear what you decide to do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts