Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aniversary model and would like to know if anyone has these problems:
oil leak left side rear cam box cover
constant coolant leaks from near reservoir bottle
dead battery
rust appearing on frame near fuel tank mtgs at the bottom
and after fuel sensor re-call inconsistant guage readings.
The bike has now covered only 1849 miles.Has never been ridden in the wet and is kept in a heated garage.
My dealer has had the bike for four weeks now and has yet to put a spanner to it.
Am i wrong for getting upset?
I have shown the dealer print outs from this forum and still have no joy.
this is the sixth time it has been in for all these probs. :hitfan:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Bandit12 the problems you describe are all some of the most common problems that we see on this bike.

Rear cam cover leaked on my 02 and took 5 attempts by the dealer and finally I just fixed it myself.

Reservoir bottle is known for the cap to crack and leak if it is removed incorrectly.

The battery would be an issue of not keeping it charged and may be related to your location and time in transport.

Several have made mention to fuel level sensors being incorrect and erratic after the campaign is completed.

Max

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
I HAVE WARRANTIED A REAR CAM COVER , A RESV. CONTIANER,
AND A RADIATOR CAP AFTER ENLARGING HOLE.
I'AM A DEALER DOUBT THAT SHOWING THEM IT WILL
HELP. GOOD LUCK! :cool:SEE ABOVE MAX IS RIGHT ON
AS ALLWAYS.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Rick I take it by the cap locks that you use an online ERO system for your repair orders, I do the same thing from work all the time as we run Reynolds and Reynolds for our ERO system.

Max

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
action at last.Good ol USA !!

After numerous phone calls and bitchin and moaning at our customer services about getting the repairs done,i recieved a phone call from the factory asking about my problems.It seems if you shout loud enough in england someone in the states actually hears you.The reaction from the factory was utter dissbelief that these simple problems have still not been remidied.The fact that someone is coming over to england to sort these problems out is good news.
It seems that if you buy a harley in england,you have put up with problems.In the states you get these things sorted straight away.It got to the point where i was about to wash my hands of the bike and get rid.But the factory has shone a new light and i may get some good news soon.The v-rod is the best bike i have owned in my 22 years of riding and i am not going to let shitty harley uk or europe put a dampner on it.
Good ole US of A!!
Watch this space!!!!! :banghead:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
bandit12 said:
After numerous phone calls and bitchin and moaning at our customer services about getting the repairs done,i recieved a phone call from the factory asking about my problems.It seems if you shout loud enough in england someone in the states actually hears you.The reaction from the factory was utter dissbelief that these simple problems have still not been remidied.The fact that someone is coming over to england to sort these problems out is good news.
It seems that if you buy a harley in england,you have put up with problems.In the states you get these things sorted straight away.It got to the point where i was about to wash my hands of the bike and get rid.But the factory has shone a new light and i may get some good news soon.The v-rod is the best bike i have owned in my 22 years of riding and i am not going to let shitty harley uk or europe put a dampner on it.
Good ole US of A!!
Watch this space!!!!! :banghead:
WAYTOGO bandit12! :plause:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Good news bandit, keep us upto date on the repairs.

Max

·
G'Day mate
175 Posts
Max,

What did you do to fix the oil leaking rear cam cover - i have a minor leak from there too? Seems to be coming from the left hand rear corner. Nothing serious, just minor seepage.

I tried re-tensioning the cover allen head bolts, but still leaking.

Thanks for any advice.

Smasha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
catalogue update

After nearly 5 weeks collected by bike yesterday from the dealers.
The oil and coolants leaks seem to have been cured.A new battery has been fitted.The fuel guage works correctly and the frame will be sorted in the winter.
I am now a happy bunny.
No not really.
After all the problems i have had i still got no appology from the dealer and no communication from the guys stateside who promised me to keep me in touch with whats going on.
Basically i feel once you have parted from your hard earnt cash,you can go and get stuffed.The dealer will repair any probs but on their terms!!
In all a fantastic bike,great marque but aftersales are crap.
I have now been out on my bike and ripped the arse out of it and it still begs for more.Grin factor 10 out of 10. :soapbox:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Bandit12 it has been my experience that some of the dealers are worthless while some bend over backwards to help. I'm lucky that I live in an area that has enough dealers that I can now choose where to go.

Da-Smasha they say to use no sealer at all but I did use just a small amount of GMS a GM made sealer on the gasket. Some one told me you could use yamabond that is made by yamaha as well.

Max

·
Registered
556 Posts
As I mentioned on another thread, my bike too had a coolant leak from the area of the overflow bottle. First crack at it, my dealer just tighened the clamp(I had already done this) and sent me on my way. Of course it still leaked.

On further examination it turned out to be the small straw like component in the bottle itself. It was broken and overflow from the radiator would fill the bottle, but with the broken straw the excess fluid in the bottle could not be siphoned back into the radiator on cool down. This problem would then force fluid out of the bottle's cap.

Of course me dealer ordered the replacement bottle(did not stock). I waited 2 weeks and called dealer. Said still not arrived. I then called HD customer service and found that they had not shipped it(no reason given, I suspect that order was not made or screwed up somehow). They then overnited it to my dealer. My dealer is still waiting for the "02a" ecm download cartridge that was ordered 4-10-04. I had download(relieved my many time per day stalling problem) done at another dealer, so do not care if they ever get it, but if I just waited for it or the bottle without taking matters into my own hands.....well you get the point.

Roger
Silicon Valley Ca.

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
What's Up Lad? I've seen you've had a wee bit of problems. Wish I was there to fix'em. AnyHoo. You have had most of the major/minor problems resolved. Time for a Pint. The oil leak from the rear cam cover is a leaking rear breather hose. 99% sure. Check the worm clamps next to the rear coil. H-D just sent a memo on this a week ago. They don't like giv'in out things for free. I found a speed sensor o-ring bad this week also. The bike had 20k on it, but check it over anyway. Tighten all your clamps and CHECK YOUR AIR PRESSURE!!!!! 9 out of 10 bikes I see have low tires. Later SKI>

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Kevins I am aware that sealing the chrome is the problem with both the Valve covers and the Alt cover.

Max

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I had both spots on mine leak and the second time it went back (leaking worse) they did take the chrome off the sealing surfaces.
Greg

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another Update:
Another problem developed. With approx 750 miles I thought it started to run a little rough at 3000 rpm but it was so minor I wasn't sure so I decided to ride it and see if it would get worse. It did and now it runs very rough at cruise speed (almost like it's trying to die) and when taking off from a stop it has no power and if I give it too much throttle it will backfire.. It is suppose to go in on the 12th to have things looked at. FYI, bike is 100% stock, ie no SE pipes or anything.

ks

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
flange recall done yet? or is it that coil thing?
keep us posted.
Greg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts