Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone run carbon fibre rims on a destroyer? Im looking at purchasing a pair , thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have heard of them before. Would love to see a pic or two... I'm just not sure how much I could trust them?

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
which rims are you looking at?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am running BST carbon fiber on my DX both front and rear. The front has been on for about 7000 miles and the rear has about 1500 right now... LOVE THEM!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at a set of BST, not sure what advantage its going to give me in the 1/4, bike is at Eagles IN just about ready to ship

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I only have 19" X 3" front and 5.5" X 18" or 8.5" X 18" rear in stock. these are OEM replacement V-Rod wheels. I can get the other Harley wheels but they would have to be ordered..... I recomend the Ceramic beearings... also ceramic bearings in the trans....

The BST wheels will get you quicker down the track because of the weight savings. Have seen dyno tests that show no difference with BST wheels compared to stock wheels as far as HP goes. Have heard of HP gains but have not seen any comparision charts showing that. I recomend the Ceramic bearings no matter what wheels you decide on.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
complete wheel weight

BST Carbon Fiber 19" front wheel, Lyndall Composite rotors, Ti-mounting bolts, Ceramic bearings, Aluminum inner wheel spacer,Avon Cobra Tyre - complete and assembled ready to bolt on

Total weight - 23.5 lbs
Check out Rockerdan's wheel weight thread for more weights including stock wheels

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i would love the chance to dyno test (on a chassis dyno) back to back stock wheels against light weight carbon fibre wheels.. i would have thought that they would have to make a difference but according all who have tested it they don`t..

·
AKA:KrammitTheFrodge
36 Posts
Moment of Inertia (MoI) on a CF wheel is lower than a cast, forged, or machined metal wheel. it doesn't add or hinder HP output to the ground. it does reduce un-sprung weight and overall weight that the motor's HP has to move though, so it helps with ETs. it'll change weight transfer properties also, though, so it may or may not be better overall depending on your trigger-style.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is exactly why I switched to Yamaha R1 sportbike wheels so in the future I can just bolt up and go some 17" carbons. Get them and you wont regret it!!! ( your wallet will hate you though)

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
This is exactly why I switched to Yamaha R1 sportbike wheels so in the future I can just bolt up and go some 17" carbons. Get them and you wont regret it!!! ( your wallet will hate you though)
Any idea how much your R1 rims weight? What kind of mods you needed to make them fit? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not sure on the wieght but theyre waaaaayyy lighter than the stockers. It was a good amount of work to fit them but well worth it. Search around you should be able to find the thread. The bike looks much different now though ill try to get some pics up

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Not sure on the wieght but theyre waaaaayyy lighter than the stockers. It was a good amount of work to fit them but well worth it. Search around you should be able to find the thread. The bike looks much different now though ill try to get some pics up
Thanks! I think that El Pozzinator made a good point, the weight difference definitely makes improvements on ET at the track but probably won't show much at the dyno. In my case I think any wheel I swap will help since I for what I've read the reactors are the heaviest factory wheels for a V.

The other questions would be
A) how much improvement or what is the correlation between ET vs. pounds
reduced? (example: after shedding 20 pounds from the bike the ET improves by 'x' seconds, etc).
B) what's the improvement on ET after
a particular wheel swap, etc? :hidesbeh:
:stooge:

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
The other questions would be
A) how much improvement or what is the correlation between ET vs. pounds
reduced? (example: after shedding 20 pounds from the bike the ET improves by 'x' seconds, etc).
B) what's the improvement on ET after
a particular wheel swap, etc? :hidesbeh:
:stooge:
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/calculators.html

Here are several calculators that help project the effects on a race, these results are smoothed or averaged, real race conditions yield different results.

Using the Destroyer as an example minimum racing weight 770 pounds and spec horsepower at 165 yields projected 1/4 mile time of 9.73415 seconds

If all other factors remain consistent except weight which we run at 790 pounds, the run would take approx 9.81771 seconds.

The extra 20 pounds cost 0.08356 seconds huge effects. Which reminds me the diet starts NOW. :soapbox: I need to get myself to about 190 to 200 pounds. :spank:

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/calculators.html

Here are several calculators that help project the effects on a race, these results are smoothed or averaged, real race conditions yield different results.

Using the Destroyer as an example minimum racing weight 770 pounds and spec horsepower at 165 yields projected 1/4 mile time of 9.73415 seconds

If all other factors remain consistent except weight which we run at 790 pounds, the run would take approx 9.81771 seconds.

The extra 20 pounds cost 0.08356 seconds huge effects. Which reminds me the diet starts NOW. :soapbox: I need to get myself to about 190 to 200 pounds. :spank:

Thanks a lot! I will take a look at it.

LOL about the diet, there I may be able to help you! I did lost some 60 pounds in about 1 1/2 years, it can take you LOT less time, but I didn't wanted to push myself too far and then dropping out... I'm not a racer but an opera singer and nowadays there is no " 'till the fat lady/man sings" thing, they all want Barbies and Kens on the stage! :bs: (yeah, even if some of them sing like crap, the looks has taken precedence over the voice...) :banghead: :eek:fftopic:

All you need is what ALL of us know already, eat less and better AND do some kind of exercise! (WOW, what a discovery!) First thing is starting any kind of exercise progressively, in my case I've always prefered weight lifting over aerobics, which helps BUILD muscle that eats up fat faster (even while you sleep and after quitting doing exercise) instead of LOOSING muscle along with fat with just diet and aerobics. As an aside, as a professional racer you should think also that bigger muscles protects you from (God protects you!) any accident you may have, it's not uncommon to see well built people (in a healthy way) getting less harmed and recovering faster than "normal" people.

Anyways, another thing is food portions. My wife got a gastric bypass 2 years ago and from her post-surgery process I realized you can happily live and survive (LOL!) with only 3 ounces of food and plenty of liquids. Even though that's an extreme, she started eating bigger portions subsequently, so each time we were eating out, we would share the same entree and all of a sudden I started realizing I REALLY didn't needed all the food I was used to eat (believe me, I'm a PIG when it comes to eating!) That's all I did, exercise at a normal, bearable pace and CONTROL what I ate without starving myself. It takes TIME but it happens if you are consistent, so you have tamed your bike to be consistent and now it's your turn, haha! Good luck and sorry for all the :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:!
thant reminds me I've gained like 8 pound in the last 2 months for eating crap when I'm away from home....:lamer:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Thanks a lot! I will take a look at it.

LOL about the diet, there I may be able to help you! I did lost some 60 pounds in about 1 1/2 years, it can take you LOT less time, but I didn't wanted to push myself too far and then dropping out... I'm not a racer but an opera singer and nowadays there is no " 'till the fat lady/man sings" thing, they all want Barbies and Kens on the stage! :bs: (yeah, even if some of them sing like crap, the looks has taken precedence over the voice...) :banghead: :eek:fftopic:

All you need is what ALL of us know already, eat less and better AND do some kind of exercise! (WOW, what a discovery!) First thing is starting any kind of exercise progressively, in my case I've always prefered weight lifting over aerobics, which helps BUILD muscle that eats up fat faster (even while you sleep and after quitting doing exercise) instead of LOOSING muscle along with fat with just diet and aerobics. As an aside, as a professional racer you should think also that bigger muscles protects you from (God protects you!) any accident you may have, it's not uncommon to see well built people (in a healthy way) getting less harmed and recovering faster than "normal" people.

Anyways, another thing is food portions. My wife got a gastric bypass 2 years ago and from her post-surgery process I realized you can happily live and survive (LOL!) with only 3 ounces of food and plenty of liquids. Even though that's an extreme, she started eating bigger portions subsequently, so each time we were eating out, we would share the same entree and all of a sudden I started realizing I REALLY didn't needed all the food I was used to eat (believe me, I'm a PIG when it comes to eating!) That's all I did, exercise at a normal, bearable pace and CONTROL what I ate without starving myself. It takes TIME but it happens if you are consistent, so you have tamed your bike to be consistent and now it's your turn, haha! Good luck and sorry for all the :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:!
thant reminds me I've gained like 8 pound in the last 2 months for eating crap when I'm away from home....:lamer:
weight is incredibly important at the drag strip,, prostock bikes don`t run more than about 3lbs over the weight limit because any more would loose too much performance.. i got pretty heavy when drag racing my kawasaki and went on a diet .. 60lbs made about .7 in the 1/4 mile.. went from 9.6`s to 8.9`s

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
weight is incredibly important at the drag strip,, prostock bikes don`t run more than about 3lbs over the weight limit because any more would loose too much performance.. i got pretty heavy when drag racing my kawasaki and went on a diet .. 60lbs made about .7 in the 1/4 mile.. went from 9.6`s to 8.9`s
You got that right, with the new Destroyer class rule running weight of 715#,
I have a lot more to lose now to catch up with those skinny jockeys. :banghead:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts