Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a set of Revolution Carbon-fiber wheels for my `07 DX, but I am not sure which width the rear-tire should have.
Revolution makes 18x5.5 and 18x8.5 for the v-rod family.
Does anyone here have some experience with such wheels on their DX`s?

I am also wondering if I can use my stock brakes on these wheels.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't know which size to go with, but, one things that you need to think about here is how durable are these wheels going to be. If you hit a big enough pot hole or something that carbon fiber wheel might break whereas a aluminum wheel will just bend. I have thought about doing the same thing with my DX to. Just don't know how the wheel will hold up to a big impact on the street.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I think they come with 8" wide rear wheels, so the 8.5 should be the right one.

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vrscd_special said:
I don't know which size to go with, but, one things that you need to think about here is how durable are these wheels going to be. If you hit a big enough pot hole or something that carbon fiber wheel might break whereas a aluminum wheel will just bend. I have thought about doing the same thing with my DX to. Just don't know how the wheel will hold up to a big impact on the street.
These are my biggest concerns as well. I guess the carbon-products are super-nice for racing, but can they take the daily wear and tear?

·
Registered
60 Posts
CF is incredibly strong and light, however, it does not handle things like nicks very well. Because it is a fibrous mass, a nicks and deep scratches tend to cause it to unwind and unravel. I do not have any experience with CF for wheels, but we used to use it for driveshafts on the race cars. It was very light and strong, and we saw it as a safety feature that if broken, it would unwind instead of launching the car if it got out of the loop.

Make sure they are going to be street worthy before you jump.

:2cents:

-Paul

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I have had a set of CF on my GSXR and they held fine for the street, they are DOT approved and IMO they held up just as good as the Magnesium wheels. Plus you loss alot of spin mass for weight reduction. If I had the money I would put a set on my A, not sure about what extras you have to have in order to make the setup work, my gsxr was direct bolt on. Hope this helps a little. Doug

·
Registered
964 Posts
Damn but they are cool.

I wish I had seen these prior to ordering my other wheels.

I want to find out what these cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
vesteroid said:
Damn but they are cool.

I wish I had seen these prior to ordering my other wheels.

I want to find out what these cost.
From the site:

All Fronts: $1700
Rear up to 5.5: $1900
Rear 8.5: $2100

·
Registered
60 Posts
gsxrdoug said:
I have had a set of CF on my GSXR and they held fine for the street, they are DOT approved and IMO they held up just as good as the Magnesium wheels. Plus you loss alot of spin mass for weight reduction. If I had the money I would put a set on my A, not sure about what extras you have to have in order to make the setup work, my gsxr was direct bolt on. Hope this helps a little. Doug

That's cool. I figured they would need to do something to them to get them street worthy, I just had never looked into it.

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello again,

Anyone else that have experience with the Revolution CF-wheels?
I know the rear-wheel is delivered with a big-twin hub, so I have to buy new rotor and pulley.
Maybe someone can recommend what to use?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I am watching this because I am planning on doing this too. I talked to them at Laughlin and the wheels are great looking. They had bikes there with them installed, airheads. They are amazingly light, until you are handed one and feel for yourself it is hard to understand.
So keep posting when you find a rear sproket. I put a non-cush pulley on my R. I haven't really noticed a difference about it. I could use one on the Dyna. The long stroke pulses at low revs can get anoying. As for the rotor,it should work, like you said standard Harley-Davidson bolt pattern. Unless you mean the front rotors. If that is what you mean, the AW and X have 280mm rotors with standard bolt pattern. They both use spoked wheels in front.
The rear rotor should work.
The spacers and such may need some work. I am getting a 08 DXA so I am a little concerned about setup with that swap.
Good hunting and keep posting.

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, thanks for that feedback!
Revolution assures me that the front-wheel will fit with the stock calipers and rotors so that one is ok. Rear-wheel is a bit more difficult.

Thanks!

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
o`yeah, I will do that. I am not sure if I am going for them though...its a lot of money, and I have to get the rotor, pulley and caliper for the rear wheel as wel...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Save yourself some headache and make sure they are absolutely "bolt-on" , some companies idea of "bolt-on" differ drastically, I would want a set that needs NO special spacers or adapters (xtra $), check if your exsisting rotors, axles, ect will work, ask if bearings and such are included.
There are other companies making carbon fiber wheels.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts