Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
904 Posts
I'm going to try this one of these days. Lots of debate on this forum over this topic a few years ago, but never any input from anyone who had first-hand experience. Going to have to do some research to find a compatible size...

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
I have a friend running a car tire on the back of a 1800 vtx, and he loves it. I rode the bike and it felt weird at low speeds, but fine at highway speeds.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
What size tire would a 240 VRSC need? so who among us shall be the first?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have run darkside on other bikes... I had planned on getting kuhmo colored smoke tire for burnout contests but they quit making them. The nearest car tire size is a 235 according to the math but being a squared off tire it should appear as wide or wider then the rounded 240.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A friend of mine tried it years ago on a Super Glide with a radial tire, I think is was a VW size. Anyway, as already stated, it was ok in a straight line but felt unstable in curves, especially interstate exit ramps for some reason. I only rode it once, he ended up going back to a stock tire. I believe the squareness of the tire is what caused the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Read what the writer says. Compared to motorcycle tires, you have to keep pressure on the bars to keep it leaned over in a corner, and it bump steers, two traits I detest in a motorcycle. It might be ok in straight line running, but it doesn't sound very good if you like to play in the twisties. Then again, you don't buy a big hulking Valk for the twisties.
I guess the utility depends on the sorts of roads you ride. The R seems to be exquisitely sensitive to rear tire shape and inflation, so I kind of doubt it would be satisfactory for me.

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
A good friend of mine owned a Kawi VN2000 with a car tire on the back and stated that it felt just like a bike tire after a few miles. Someday I would like to try this and see what it is all about. Seen a few on them in my travels and never got to talk to the rider about what they thought.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I imagine it feels like a Metz 260 when the Metz is totally worn out. Like it's falling over when you make a low speed turn.

I don't see the point really myself. longer tire life? If back tires are making people broke on V-Rods then they really couldn't afford a $15,000+ motorcycle in the first place IMO.

Like shooting cheap Russian ammo through an expensive assault rifle....... why?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Interesting but noway would I use a Goodyear tire!! Finding a 200/55/18 car tire might be tough too!
I think the first Boss Hoss chevy engined bikes used cartires on the rear, they now use Avons.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I don't see the point really myself. longer tire life? If back tires are making people broke on V-Rods then they really couldn't afford a $15,000+ motorcycle in the first place IMO.

This is why you see car tires on $1200 used Honda's.A set of proper tires cost almost as much as the annual payment to the buy Here-Pay Here motorcycle shop that guy has that thing financed through.
Only 20 more payments and he can start looking for some take off motorcycle tires and ride like a king!

Then he can stop writing 23 page justifications to himself.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
That makes perfect sense. Not otherwise though.
Here's one for ya.
An 18 wheeler almost ran over a Ford truck yesterday as it was stopped at a light.4 lane,and I'm in the left lane creeping to the light when the truck made an imediate left turn into my lane.In a split second,I swerved real hard into the turn lane and back,he missed me.
I doubt that I could have manured half as quick w a square car tire on my motorcycle.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
1 - 20 of 79 Posts