Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been compression starting my bike for the last three days. Needless to say I can't wait for my new battery to arrive in the mail. That is all!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
he has an '03A and has most likely never used a battery tender... yeah after 7 years his battery is toast.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Original battery indeed, knew it was slowly going bad. Compression start is rolling down my driveway and dropping the clutch in 1st gear to start it. It sure is tough to push the 600lb beast and jump on it...doesn't work, you do need a hill.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
he has an '03A and has most likely never used a battery tender... yeah after 7 years his battery is toast.
I thought battery tenders were for people who live in cold climates, who are forced to park their bikes for 6 months out of the year. I'm only on my 2nd batter on my Dyna, I can't remember exactly when I replaced my original but it seems it has only been a few years.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if you ever go 12 hours or more in between rides, you should use a battery tender. If you have any type of security system on your bike you should use a battery tender. It will significantly extend the life of your batteries.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
What is the difference between a tender and a trickle charger? I know, I know, what would Google say? :)

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
What is the difference between a tender and a trickle charger? I know, I know, what would Google say? :)
Trickle chargers charge slowly....that's it.

a tender will trickle charge you battery, then discharge it, then trickle charge it again, over and over and over all winter long like walking the dog.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I didn't know it was even possible to compression start. How does the fuel pump get charged/primed?

Also, I jumped mine off (no, not with a car) and as soon as I removed the negative cable, the bike died.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I replace them every 4-5 regardless if they work or not. 7 years has to be record on a MC battery.
I still have the original battery in my 2002 VRSCA (delivery date was 4/10/2002).

... Compression start is rolling down my driveway and dropping the clutch in 1st gear to start it. It sure is tough to push the 600lb beast and jump on it...doesn't work, you do need a hill.
It would be easier to start if you used 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear.

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
I still have the original battery in my 2002 VRSCA (delivery date was 4/10/2002).

How long are you planning to keep it?
My 03 still have the orig battery with no sign of weakness and I am thinking of replacing next riding season. After seeing your post I can just probably wait longer until it show sign of weakness.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts

How long are you planning to keep it?
My 03 still have the orig battery with no sign of weakness and I am thinking of replacing next riding season. After seeing your post I can just probably wait longer until it show sign of weakness.
Have you been using a tender?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Have you been using a tender?
Yes.
...How long are you planning to keep it?
When it goes bad. I have an Optima battery in my car that was purchased in 1993. Gel and AGM battery life is dependent on number of discharge cycles and how well it's kept charged. Lead/acid batteries should be limited to no more than 50% discharge (≈ 12V). "Starter" batteries are only good for about 10 discharges to 20% ≈ 11.6V but this will rise to more than 1000 cycles if kept above 60% ≈ 12.2V). A battery that sits with partial charge corrodes rapidly. Just because you ride every day doesn't mean it gets charged. Lots of short trips will slowly drain a battery because the current used by the starter can't be replaced during rides shorter than ½ hour.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
What is sulfation?
Sulfaction is the crystal formation of lead sulfate on the battery plates or cells and one of the biggest battery killers. This happens two ways:

When discharging continues uninterrupted, the crystals grow and blossom into sulfaction.
When the battery plates are exposed to air due to low electrolyte level, the activity of the affected area is severely impaired, and the battery will begin to lose life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts