Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike Stats:
Topless, K&N filter, stock ECM, PCV, CFR exhaust.

Had been using the map "Working copy_w_notes table 1 & 2 closer matched 2-16-09.djm" I'd got from the forum a while ago, I'd converted to PCV (pvm format) without issues but always felt it was a little rich. I decided the autotune was the way to go to help fix the "rich mix" problem.

I added the autotune unit with it's O2 sensors. Followed install directions to the letter. I also modified the M15'006-013 map with the same tables from the map I'd been using before but this included a good AFR table. Everything went together well but the software doesn't seem to recognize the autotune hardware. I get all zeros on the AFR display of the Power commander software (and no indicator autotune hardware is present in the lower right pane (reading other posts, i'm not sure if the indicator ever worked)).

Based on the power commander software display, It looks as if the autotune hardware is not installed. When i power the bike up. the red LED on the autotune blinks in a sequence of 3 blinks, 3 times, then it stays on steady. The green LED on the PCV works just as it did before adding the autotune. I've checked the terminator on the empty port of the autotune and have checked all connections over and over but still no luck.

I've attached the map i'm using for reference.

What have I missed?

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the same problem, got a lot of help on here. (I still do not get a light indicating the auto tune works, nor does it come up when I click search for new hardware)

You probably want to add some screen shots of your afr tables to go along with your maps but some other things that helped me get the afr working was:

Update to the newest firmware and software. It helps to update the firmware 3 times for some reason to make sure the unit fully accepts it.

Take a quick look at my thread in which these guys got my afr working due to a bad map. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163762

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem, got a lot of help on here. (I still do not get a light indicating the auto tune works, nor does it come up when I click search for new hardware)

You probably want to add some screen shots of your afr tables to go along with your maps but some other things that helped me get the afr working was:

Update to the newest firmware and software. It helps to update the firmware 3 times for some reason to make sure the unit fully accepts it.

Take a quick look at my thread in which these guys got my afr working due to a bad map. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163762
I've got the latest firmware (V0.1.8.8), running the latest pc software ( v1.0.6.1), have done tons of research on maps so I think the one i'm using is good but will get some screen shots posted. I've read your post and have tried a number of different maps but so far I haven't been able to get the autotune to work at all.

The PCV works great, if I change a value in the fuel table, I notice the change in the bike. It's the autotune that I can't get to work. AFR table is all around 13.4 but AFR in status display is always zeros and no trim in the status display. All other status display information looks good... It's like the autotune is not installed. I'll post some pictures a little later today but any help would be appreciated.

I've got to say, this really shouldn't be so difficult... Maybe a little better troubleshooting write-up from Dynojet is in order... I can't find documentation on the most basic things like the LED on the autotune module and what it indicates...

And now the sun is out...

Frustrated !!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can tell you one thing about the red led on the auto tune, you can use it to troubleshoot your O2 sensors, just to make sure your O2 sensors are actually working. I cant find the file but its available, it basically shows you at which elevation you are the LED should blink so many times... but I think you have to take the O2 sensor off your exhaust to test it. Might be on PC website.

I do agree, it is much harder then plug and play should be.. and no where near enough documentation from dynojet on these things.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I took some pictures (computer is not mine so was easer to just take photos). The tittles of each photo says what they are... Any idea whats wrong? Do I just have a dead autotune module or is this a bad case of pilot error?

Note: Can only upload 10 picts at a time so these where taken with bike off the next post will have picts with bike running.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok, I took some pictures (computer is not mine so was easer to just take photos). The tittles of each photo says what they are... Any idea whats wrong? Do I just have a dead autotune module or is this a bad case of pilot error?

Note: Can only upload 10 picts at a time so these where taken with bike off the next post will have picts with bike running.
you clicked quick shifter and auto tune switch... if you dont have the quick shifter or map switch installed, uncheck those.

You could also deselect the wait 60 seconds and engine temperature... at least during troubleshooting so your not waiting every time you start the bike to see if it works.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few shots of the install. Picts 1 through 5 show mounting of PCV in airbox and autotune module mounted on top of PCV. 6th and 8th pict shows O2 sensors mounted (modified rear header so O2 #2 doesn't come in contact with rear engine head). 7th pict shows the autotune switch just above the horn. 9th pict (last) shows the power connection for autotune module.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try a PM to one of the guys that helped me.. honestly this forum probably got me more help than any amount of calls to customer service.

I would suggest installing the firmware 1.8.8 while the bike is on (not running, just on) and after the auto tune boots up (post blinking). Then make sure you dont have any settings checked that you dont want to use (i.e. engine temperature and wait 60 seconds). And the obvious and stupid mistakes such as clicking send map (the one with AFR tables)... I dont know man, but I hope you figure it out.

·
HzdPay
354 Posts
check "show Autotune tables even if not equipped"

for the Harley ECM Data check them all so they will be available if needed.

uncheck quickshifter unless you have a quick shifter actually installed

uncheck autotune switch unless you have it wired to a switch

the defaults are good for autotune but you can do as Dmercer3 suggested and uncheck run time and temp so it starts with the PCV to ensure it is working.

you should be good to go...if you have the autotune switch selected and do not have a switch wired it will never engage because the circuit is open.

the auto tune lights blink as they warm and calibrate then go solid. you can press the button on the box with the o2 sensors out and they will test for accuracy with a chart. you can download the pdf for you auto tune to get the chart.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:
I checked "show Autotune tables even if not equipped"

I checked everything on the "Harley ECM Data check" screen.

I have the quickshifter. it's installed and works (great). I tried unchecking it anyway.

I have an autotune switch. I checked continuity at the autotune module. looks good. I tried running both checked and unchecked.

I uncheck run time and temp delay.

I pressed send map between each test just to be sure...

Same results. Zeros in the AFR status window and no trim in the status window.

I've checked all the wiring from the O2 sensors to the autotune module. Checked for 12V power and ground to the autotune module. Checked the termination on the extra port of the autotune module. I'm going to ohm out the two wires from the autotune module to the PCV. it seems to be the only communication path from the autotune module to the PCV so this could be the problem. The PCV seems to work fine independent of the autotune module so I'm beginning to think I have a dead autotune unit. I'd think the chances of both O2 sensors being bad is pretty slim.

Thanks for the help. I'm open to any and all suggestions... This is driving me nuts...

·
HzdPay
354 Posts
have you rode it with the changes? I would take if for a short 5-10 min ride and see if it gives you any trims.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have you rode it with the changes? I would take if for a short 5-10 min ride and see if it gives you any trims.
Yep, took it for a quick spin (at least 10 min). Preforms the same as before adding autotune. It's really as if autotune is not installed. Computer result (trip table etc) looks the same after the ride as previous pictures. I pressed get trim. all zeros

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I measured the resistance across the two wires where they connect to the PCV. About 120 ohms. This is the same as the resistance of the terminator at the extra connection of the autotune so I know for sure the wire is good and making connection through the autotune module (i pulled the terminator just to be sure and it opened up as expected). I then tried plugging the autotune data cable into the second port of the PCV. results are the same.

I wrote a message to Dynojet's tech support but I know it won't get addressed till after the long weekend.

Frustrated !!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I measured the resistance across the two wires where they connect to the PCV. About 120 ohms. This is the same as the resistance of the terminator at the extra connection of the autotune so I know for sure the wire is good and making connection through the autotune module (i pulled the terminator just to be sure and it opened up as expected). I then tried plugging the autotune data cable into the second port of the PCV. results are the same.

I wrote a message to Dynojet's tech support but I know it won't get addressed till after the long weekend.

Frustrated !!!
I got your message but I will seperated from my bike till tomorrow some time. I think you have hit all but we are missing something simple. I do know if you are out of sensor range you get the same reading. Try removing the O2's and testing them IAW the install manual and try putting my map in from last May. Also check throttle calibration. When I get home I will message you and maybe do a phone conference as we are only an hour difference.

Off the top of my head your lights on your units should be correct.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, Just a little background. The map i've been using has worked well on the bike. It's a little rich (can sometimes smell it at idle) but preferred to be a little on the rich side to prevent bluing of the pipes. I thought adding the autotune would be a good idea to get a little more accurate AFR. I've tried a number of different maps including all zeros in the fuel table to see if i could get within the range of the O2 sensors but just can't get it to work even when i know the map being used runs strong. I'm open to running anything at this point.

I've reset the throttle calibration. it's right on traget. Rechecked wiring of the O2 sensors so many times I know the order of the wires by heart. I've had a friend re-check it just to get a second set of eyes looking at it.

I'll remove the O2 sensors today and run the check in the autotune instructions.

EOD J ROD, a phone conversation would be great. PM me with a time that works for you and I'll have everything ready for a call... Thanks everyone for your help.

If this is pilot error, I don't see how this product can be called a owner installed unit...

·
Registered
818 Posts
wait might save you a phone call.....did you install the tremination plugs on the stock harnesses, one for each O2 sensor. I looked at your screen shots and it appears that you have 0.00 in AFR. This does indicate that your AT is working and that the termination plugs are not installed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
did you install the tremination plugs on the stock harnesses, one for each O2 sensor.
If you mean the jumpers for the stock O2 sensors, According to Dynojet my bike doesn't need them because it's an older (pre factory O2 sensor) model v-rod.

I have the newer single unit autotune module. It has one termination plug and it's plugged in (about 120 ohms).

I disconnected the autotune connection to the PCV and restarted the software. The status pane still shows the AFR status pane of the app. I think it shows the AFR status regardless of the hardware being present.

I've done come comparison checking on youtube videos talking about autotune. It seems if autotune is present but the bike is not up to temp or not within temp range of the O2 sensor, you'll get some kind of error display of 9.99 or 655.35 in the AFR status pane of the app? I don't get that. I always get 0.00.

UPDATE:
The autotune document says: A value of 0.00 could indicate a faulty sensor or the sensor wired incorrectly to the module. A value of 9.99 could indicate that the CAN termination plugs have not been installed or Autotune has not been enabled in the software.

I ran the O2 sensor test. Everything checked out good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I surely cant believe that we are the only ones that have problems with this thing. After I finally got my auto tune to work (thanks to these guys in this forum, and not the documentation from dynojet) I went to rolling thunder yesterday morning.

Well lets just say my bike has been running great for the summer, no issues. I finally get auto tune to accept some trims the other night. I show up to rolling thunder, park my bike... I had the engine off but the key turned on to keep the light on for about 4 minutes. DEAD.. completely dead! Not even push starting it worked... and I had A LOT of help.

The guys and mechanics who looked at my bike and tried to help yesterday morning.. about 8 out of 10 of em that new what the PCV was said they had similar issues with it and that they ditched there because it kept F#@%$ up their bikes...

Well, I dont know what I am going to do... but thats at least one battery killed by what all believed to be my PCV.

Not trying to get you to give up TalkingRain but hopefully this helps you feel like its not necessarily your problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts