Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tuning up a 2012 NRS and I've saved the master OEM file to the laptop. I've also loaded a MT7 file from the base files. I've noticed that the factory tune has better warm-up response and better throttle response even at operating temps.

I've read the manual and found where to save the OEM file, and how to restore this file. But I don't see (may have overlooked) where I can use a copy of the factory file to start with for V-Tuning the engine.

1) Is there a way to use the OEM tuning file as a baseline to tune from?
2) Or is there a way to compair the OEM tune to the TTS tune provided to tweek the tables for better warm-up response?

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I'm tuning up a 2012 NRS and I've saved the master OEM file to the laptop. I've also loaded a MT7 file from the base files. I've noticed that the factory tune has better warm-up response and better throttle response even at operating temps.

I've read the manual and found where to save the OEM file, and how to restore this file. But I don't see (may have overlooked) where I can use a copy of the factory file to start with for V-Tuning the engine.

1) Is there a way to use the OEM tuning file as a baseline to tune from?
2) Or is there a way to compair the OEM tune to the TTS tune provided to tweek the tables for better warm-up response?
I don't think so. The "downloaded" files produced by MasterTune are encrypted and can only be used to return the ECM to the condition stored in the downloaded file (by "uploading"). Also, the downloaded file isn't necessarily the OEM base map. The software will download any ECM configuration that's currently in the ECM. If the ECM has been reconfigured by the dealer or with another software program (SERT, SEPST, or MasterTune) then that's what will be downloaded. All downloaded files are encrypted and can only be uploaded to the same ECM that it was downloaded from.

I'm not sure what MT7 file you used but the MZA177-01 calibration is for a 2012 VRSCDX with only a high flow air filter added and should be very close to the OEM map. If not I would contact TTS ([email protected] or 310-669-8101) and ask them why.

·
Run-N-Gun
267 Posts
There is a menu item to compare your current tune to the base map that you pulled off the bike. I don't have access now, but I think it is under View or something.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know you can compare a tune after a Vtune run. But the manual isn't clear on looking at the OEM tables from the factory tune.

This bike is new so I backed up the factory tune. So I want to compare the current tune to the factory to compare VE, spark curves, AFR, etc during warmup, and run. The reason is that if I know where I started it is easy to figure out where I am at...instead of assuming.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you're going to run VTune, you MUST use one of the MT7 files provided. VTune will never show the green Good Data button if you don't have an MT7 in the ECM.

As far as I know, there's no way to look at the OEM tables as you wish to do. That file is encrypted and can only be Restored to the ECM. You can't even do a normal re-flash with it - you MUST use the Restore function.

Load up the closest MT you can find, set all the AFRs to 14.6 as the manual describes, turn off PE, clear the AE table if you want to (I didn't) then go ride. It will make a large number of changes the very first time and you should see the performance begin to improve. It took me 4 runs to get to a point I was happy with the VE stuff and I haven't done Spark Timing yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TG,
I sort of figured there wasn't a way to look at the OEM file after re-re-rereading the manual and talking with guys here on the forum.

I'm going to be doing exactly what you said and run Vtune and start tweaking the tune.

I have to wait now though...Last Friday I torm my calf muscle and can barely walk let alone handle the weight of a bike. Doc says 6-12 weeks minimum before I can even think about exercising my legs again (gym, running, bike riding, etc).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts