Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was rideing the other day just pulled out onto the street and stop for a light . When i pulled the clutch in the bike was still pulling. I had to hold the break. After i got off the bike and got back on its toppped doing this.

Well it happened again yesturday. The same exact way. I have been keeping a log book of how much miliage and the amout of oil i have been adding to the engine per mile. was wondering if the low oil persure/ and or low oil level could cause that. I add every 500 so not to get to low

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Yes low oil will effect how the clutch works. Lower oil will equal less lubricant and the clutch may not release well if your running it that low. That is the reason you have to soak a clutch before you install it.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I replaced my clutch recently and was also thinking that if the plates/spacers are warped it could cause the clutch to drag as well. Am I looking at it correctly?

I can also tell you that if you don't put the clutch basket in all the way when installing a new clutch (read USE THE DRIFT AND ALIGN THE LASHING GEAR!!) the clutch will not disengage. :)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Richard you are correct, if you get several warped plates the clutch will not fully release. The last gear is spring loaded and can be a chore to get to align. I use a screwdriver in the teeth to make it line.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Max said:
The last gear is spring loaded and can be a chore to get to align. I use a screwdriver in the teeth to make it line.

I considered the screwdriver in the teeth but chickened out when I tried to decide if the screwdriver might possible be harder than the teeth. I didn't want to do more damage than good. The drift punch worked okay. Thanks to the manual I found a little alignment hole to use.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
LiquidSilver said:
I can also tell you that if you don't put the clutch basket in all the way when installing a new clutch (read USE THE DRIFT AND ALIGN THE LASHING GEAR!!) the clutch will not disengage. :)
THAT would SUCK HARD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts