Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being used to my Fatboy the Rod gives me a lot bad road feedback I am not used to feeling. Can I make totally better with a set of shock and front springs? If its a huge improvement I am ready.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,138 Posts
Sure. Suspension nirvana is just a question of money.

For "cost is no object", you could go with something like Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Axxion fork cartridges for the front and Race Tech G3-S Custom dual IFP internal reservoir shocks w/ adjustable rebound dampening for the rear. That's what I did on my F.

Penske sells a similar setup, but you'd probably have to call them direct.

For something a bit more financially sensible, you could go with a RaceTech Gold Valve fork kit, RaceTech fork springs, Maxima 20-weight fork oil for the front and Works Performance Street Tracker rear springs for the rear. That's how I set up my R.

Both setups were designed for performance.

There are also options for air suspension, but I have no direct knowledge of them.

Fwiw, when I had my F at the dealer for some warranty work, the tech who rode it was blown away (his words) on how it handled. He said he'd never ridden a bike that handled so well.

Of course, he's was a H-D tech, so he's a) by definition not well versed on the VRSC and b) used to test riding Barca lounger's with wheels.

YMMV.

R.

·
Asatruar
2,914 Posts
:them:

And if your tires are still the stock Dunlop tires for V Rods, changing them will go along way to improving handling.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I do have the dunlap's. What's a great suggested Tire. Performance over wear.
That discussion is almost as bad as which oil to use. Almost.

I think the Michelins take the top spot. I personally only tried Metzlers besides the Michelins, and they were really bad. I was actually surprised how much less grip they offered, and how the turn-in suffered. I ride aggressively, and I'm never trying them again at that size.

·
Premium Member
11,214 Posts
You didn't mention what model and year V-Rod you have. Sometimes a simple Handle bar and seat change will solve most of your issues.
My Vrscx, when new, put me in such a riding position that 100 miles was the most I could do without a long break. Better seat (Sundowner) and bars that allowed me to sit up straight instead of leaning forward did wonders. 600-800 miles is nothing with this setup.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,138 Posts
I had an opposite experience with the Metzler ME880's-- I LOVE them.

Enough so that I've had several pairs of them on my R, my buddy's A, my F, and on my wife's Nightster.

I really can't say enough good things about them. They handle great, wear well, and are drama free.

R.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts