Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You probably get this question all the time but I have had my license for 4 years but have not bought a bike yet. I really like the Nightrod because it feels so comfortable to me and I love the mid controls. I also like the fact that it is "American Made" and "High Tech". Something I do not see in other bikes. I also think it is a beautiful bike. So here are my questions.

How easy is it to ride. Does it have a low center of gravity? Is the power delivery smooth or jerky?
How reliable is it? Are there any issues?
How supportive is HD?
Are there touring items that can be added such as bags etc.
How comfortable is it two up (wife will not be riding with me for a long time but would like to know your opinion).
Since I will be riding in LA are there things to make it safer ( louder horn, more lights, etc)
Anyone have the 2008 with ABS?

Thanks everyone,
I look forward to hearing your thoughts,

Dave

By the way I am 44 and just looking for a nice, reliable bike that will have power when I need it. Not looking to drag with it. Thanks again.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
My wife's Night Rod is her 4th bike.

1. Honda Shadow
2. Harley Sportster
3. Harley Lowrider
4. Harley Night Rod

Of the four, she says that the Honda and the Night Rod are tied for the easiest to ride. She had the Lowrider the longest and put about 20k on it. She's had the Night Rod since May. She loves it. She loves it a lot.

It's easy to ride.
Gas under seat makes low center of gravity.
It's powerful but smooth.
Reliability is solid.
HD support is questionable. V-rod areas at HD shops are small to non-existent.
There are limited "off the shelf" touring items (small windshield and soft bags are available from HD).
I would not recommend it for 2-up.
If I was buying now I would get ABS.

·
Registered
634 Posts
One of the things I love about my NR is the LCG. I have ridden several other bikes and most felt very top heavy and you knew once you leaned over a certain amount there was no stopping it. My NR almost feels weightless under me and is very easy to move around. I am only 5'8" so the low seat is perfect for me and although I try to use the front pegs when I think about it, the mid controls just feel natural to me and would not give them up at this point.

I don't think you would be disappointed with a NR.

Glenn

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
golfinglenn said:
One of the things I love about my NR is the LCG. I have ridden several other bikes and most felt very top heavy and you knew once you leaned over a certain amount there was no stopping it. My NR almost feels weightless under me and is very easy to move around. I am only 5'8" so the low seat is perfect for me and although I try to use the front pegs when I think about it, the mid controls just feel natural to me and would not give them up at this point.

I don't think you would be disappointed with a NR.

Glenn
:them: Hit the nail on the head there. This is my 6th or 7th bike and it is BY FAR the best one I've had...it's fun to ride, it's powerful, it's smooth, you can drag race if you want or you can tour with it. Whatever you want, you can make it do...well, except take serious twisties without leaving marks. :)

Although, I don't think I'd use it to teach someone how to ride, just for the cost and availability of replacement parts, but once they learn and are comfortable riding, sure!

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
DFinch said:
It's easy to ride.
Gas under seat makes low center of gravity.
It's powerful but smooth.
Reliability is solid.
HD support is questionable. V-rod areas at HD shops are small to non-existent.
There are limited "off the shelf" touring items (small windshield and soft bags are available from HD).
I would not recommend it for 2-up.
If I was buying now I would get ABS.
There's your answers right there. My 07D is my 2nd bike, my 1st being a 1200 sporty. When I demoed the Night Rod I was a nervous wreck thinking the bike would run out from under me.... I couldn't have been more wrong. The bike is very stable, in terms of handling and engine performance. The only things that took me a little getting used to were the fact that a VROD is 9 times longer than a sporty and wind wobble. But, just took some getting used to. Hell, today I was out riding twisties in 25-30 mph winds!

·
Registered
506 Posts
The vrod was is my first bike. I had ridden other bike before but I found the vrod's low CG to make it very easy to ride. I was nervous when I took it out the first time. Just 2 warnings: be going straight the first time you roll the gas hard, and easy letting of the clutch down shifting in to first gear at speed. With that in mind it a very easy bike to ride.

·
STEALTH-ROD
63 Posts
Grasshopper!

When you can snatch the pebbles from my hand you may purchase a nightrod and venture forth into the world!! :stilpoke:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Worldspeaker, my Night-Rod was my first street only bike and I love it! It is smooth and easy to ride, but you have to be mindful of your speed. The bike accelerates very smoothly, but can put you at speeds that you don't expect to be at. I put a D&D fatcat exhaust and it seems to have more low torque for stop and go traffic. The noise of the D&D's help for people to notice you too. You might have seen my bike, as I also live in Colton. It is a Vivid Black NR with forward controls (that I love too). It is not a really great two up bike, but OK for short rides. The only down point is every other bike I ride now feels slow!

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Worldspeaker said:
Since I will be riding in LA are there things to make it safer ( louder horn, more lights, etc)
The Vrod is safer in some respects as it has power to get you out of jams. Of course, this power can work against you if you do not respect it. You can add whatever things to make you safe as you can on other bikes, but imho the best thing to add is your own skill and alertness.

L.A. riding is a challenge. Traffic is the worst in So Cal, so you have to really keep your alert level high. Take the MSF course and learn on streets that are not busy.

Be safe out there :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Nightrod Gary, I believe you live in my housing tract. I live on Oakglen. It must be you that goes by my house all the time. Love hearing the nightrod go by.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds like not only is the Nightrod everything I am hoping for but sounds like the riders are awesome too. Anything else I should be aware of?

Dave

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
The 2006 VRSCD in the garage right now is my GF's first and only bike. She started on it, and now mods it with vigor. :2cents:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've have super-glide, three V-rods and a road-glide, Tha V's are tha only ones I can get off tha side stand with just my knee and no hands, thats very low center of gravity. it's all in what you as an individual likes ! Me ? I'm moody !

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
i have an R, after having a kawasaki ninja 250 (first bike) and a gsxr 600, have to say the v-rod is the best bike, saw a night rod for $12K at the dealership yesterday, considering it so i have a lower seat and a lower CG, its a good bike, and the black is awesome over chrome cause thats more time riding, less time cleaning

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
You've got your license. Get a helmet and get to your HD dealer, take it for a test ride. See if you like it. They've got insurance to cover the bike :D
After all, my first street bike was a Vrod!

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
Just keep in mind the fact that the "first bike" takes a real beating, just like a "first car" or a "first" anything else. I still tell eveyone "Your first bike should be a cheap used dirt bike. Beat the crap out of it, then get a street bike." School should be a requirement!!!

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
DesertSpeed said:
Just keep in mind the fact that the "first bike" takes a real beating, just like a "first car" or a "first" anything else. I still tell eveyone "Your first bike should be a cheap used dirt bike. Beat the crap out of it, then get a street bike." School should be a requirement!!!

ok... I admit, my FIRST bike was a Honda XR80, but i trashed that bike back when I was 11. Got my V-rod when I was 27, bought it, rode it, got pulled over the night before I finished my MSF course, played dumb, got my endorsement the next morning :) I didn't really 'trash' the B, I am just a bit BIG for that bike as it would scrape too much for my comfort level in the corners. :D:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
It was my first bike. I took the MSF course and weeks later I was picking up my VROD. Needless to say it has some light scuffs on it from the first week of riding it, it definitely is easy to ride. I rode with my wife on the back of it the first time yesterday, her complaints were the seat and the placement of the passenger foot pegs. Other than that it wast bad at all.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
Xoygeha said:
ok... I admit, my FIRST bike was a Honda XR80, but i trashed that bike back when I was 11. Got my V-rod when I was 27, bought it, rode it, got pulled over the night before I finished my MSF course, played dumb, got my endorsement the next morning :) I didn't really 'trash' the B, I am just a bit BIG for that bike as it would scrape too much for my comfort level in the corners. :D:)
Don't worry, you still have plenty of time! :D
After trashing a couple of dirt bikes, I got my first street bike at 17, an RD200 (Don't laugh, those litt suckers are quick!). It got dropped 3 times. At 23 I got my next street bike, an SR500. It got dropped twice. I still have it. My son rode it a few times in AZ after he got his license. Now we have the D. It's been in a couple of close calls. Thank the Lord for wicked acceleration and awesome brakes! My pegs and radiator shrouds are taking a beating, but that's only because I do it intentionally. I even scrape the pegs with my wife on the back. She loves it.

·
Hopefully Lost
162 Posts
Don't listen to them

I took the harley MSF course, during which they took my picture sitting on a vrod. That was the first bike I ever sat on and for all I am concerned is the last type of bike that I will sit on. I bought a night rod 1 month later.

Knock on wood I have had no accidents or scraps of any kind. A couple close calls, but thanks to the course I knew how to react. I can't wait until I can afford a turbo!!! Go for it, just respect the power and you will be good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am shocked at how many people have had a v rod or night rod as their first bike. I thought everyone would think I was crazy (not that I haven't been accused of that). When the v rod first came out I read that it was Harley's attempt to bring younger "sportbike riders" into the HD family. It seems like it really has brought a lot of first timers into the HD family which surprises me. It just seems like a very well thought out machine and now with the ABS available on it I just think this is the bike I want.

How has reliability been for everyone? I know some of the Big Twins have had heat issues along with a lot of transmission noise. How are the V rods/ Nightrods? Once I get one I plan on putting a lot of miles on it on LA freeways. Currently put over 50,000 each year on my car so the Nightrod will be taking over some of those duties. Any high mileage bikes out there?

Dave

1 - 20 of 56 Posts