Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a pretty ignorant question, but - if i take off my ST fatshots and put stock exhaust back on, can a dealer reset the ECM back to stock?

the bike has a SERT on it.

thanks

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
yes...they'll probably charge you 1/2 hr labor.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
MIne had to put mine back to stock before installing the new Race Tuner.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks - i have to put mine back to stock so i can put on the original pipes and then sell it. buying an 08 DX w/ ABS

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
i know this is a pretty ignorant question, but - if i take off my ST fatshots and put stock exhaust back on, can a dealer reset the ECM back to stock?

the bike has a SERT on it.

thanks
yep cost me 100$ 3 years ago for reflash at HD Montreal damm:broke:

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe they'll cut me a break since i'm going to have them tune the new bike

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i debated for a while about it - ie just fixing mine up vs buying one w/ ABS. i love my bike but i know i'll keep this bike longer if it has the brake upgrade. found one with 1K miles and a 5 year ext warranty at a nice price. and since i have a fat check from state farm, i might as well do it now.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
maybe they'll cut me a break since i'm going to have them tune the new bike
They should do it for free then it takes 10 min max.

Witch model did you found ?

As for a new bike, when i sold my 07 DX, the wife said i was crying almost but when i got the Muscle a month after oh man totally a different bike, insane the handling and cornering of this bike and smoothness at accel. as ugly as i thought it was when it came out now i find it awesome.

M

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
getting the same bike, just a year newer, less miles, and ABS. 08 DX denim.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
DX 08 they got rid of the exhaust hitting frame ?

go test ride an F:hidesbeh:

Brother in law Got a 08 D last year from a forum member a miller edition, he tried my bike last night for the first time he wanted to trade right away haha

Good luck

Go for it upgrading to a new bike makes you fell good it's like getting a new girl:alien:

Mike

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not worried about the exhaust, i got a Rinehart 2-1 sitting here in a box waiting for the new toy to put it on. plus a bunch of other parts/upgrades.

no offense but not a fan of the F

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
getting the same bike, just a year newer, less miles, and ABS. 08 DX denim.
Congrats, now you can stop asking everyone if their bike that is for sale has ABS...haha.

Good choice, I would not even consider buying without ABS. It took me 4 months longer wait time to find my 11 Sedona DX with ABS over the bike without.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Since I havent used the SERT before now I have a question.. Does that unit actually make changes to the ECM when they tune it or does it "override" the ECM like most units?

I mean with my Sport bikes in the past when it came time to sell or change things if stock was being put back on all the stock parts went back on and the tuner was removed and the bike didnt need anything else done because the stock computer was running in stock setup like it did in the first place and alll changes that were made were in memory of the Power Commander and not the bikes ECU.

And if I wanted to go back stock now on my DX I would remove the fuel manager, put the stock exhaust back on and the top back on the air box and hook everything up as it originally was and it should run exactly as it originally did

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Since you paid good $$ for a SERT that links to the ECM and plan to modify the new bike. Why don't you ask the dealer to swap ECMs so then you can continue to use the SERT on the new bike.

Even if they charge you $100 for this service, it is less then the cost of a new SERT.

Based on your question, I take it there isn't any additional trade in value by providing the SERT with the bike. Did you ask?

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm. good thought. wasn't aware the ECM's could be swapped that easily, but it's worth asking about.

i'm not trading the bike in, i'm going to sell it myself, after removing all the aftermarket parts and swapping them with stock parts from the new bike. but either way, the SERT will have minimal value for resale on the back end.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
don't think the old ecm will work with abs...
But resetting the ECM is just a 20$ job, I've had it done on mine without problems.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
06 model ECM = 32534-05A
08 model ECM = 32534-05C

The part book states that the digital tech is required for all models international or domestic. The only difference is the programming.

All will work with ABS. The ABS computer is in the ABS module.

Swapping is easy as it is under the seat, but it does require you to link the ECM to the TSSM (easy proceedure that a member has posted;
see post 13... http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129115 ).

About the only thing I know against doing it is that the ECM stores the VIN. Ask your dealer if they can change it using the digital tech. Please let us know what they say.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts