Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to work this morning and noticed some oil splatter on the top exhaust muffler and traced it back to what seems like the cam cover. Have searched other threads which suggest the rear breather as a culprit but this doesn't seem to be the case here (it is slightly cracked but doesn't seem to be punctured. Will replace it anway). No excessive oil in the airbox either.

Bike has done 13.5k and have owned it since 15 miles on the clock. Seems to have suddenly happened today. Is it just a case of torquing down the bolts (which doesn't look easy!) or should I be looking for something else?

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
I had the same problem on my buddy's 08 DX. It ended up being an o-ring on the breather tube on the bottom side of the airbox. Be sure to manually re-seat the tube when you reassemble the airbox.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem on my buddy's 08 DX. It ended up being an o-ring on the breather tube on the bottom side of the airbox. Be sure to manually re-seat the tube when you reassemble the airbox.
Thanks will take a look tonight but I've never had the airbox off. Is it just an age/mile/vibration thing?

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
I'm not really sure how it worked it's way off. My buddy Manny brought his DX over to my house and it looked like oil was coming from the top of the engine somewhere. He bought it a week prior and it only had 1100 miles or so on it and he was worried he bought a lemon. He posted the question on here and I was pointed to the probable cause in a couple of minutes. I also found a dead mouse and his filter torn to shreds so I am pretty sure nobody removed his airbox either.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call all. Removed the expansion tank and saw a small trail of oil from the breather. Removed the bitch of a clip (!) on the pipe and found a small puncture. Replacement pipe on order.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts