Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Well I believe I need to adjust my cam chains. Reason being I hear noise on the side of the engine upon start up. Then as it warms up it goes away. I also am wondering if its the cold weather. I just dont recall noticing it before. Anyway my problem is I have the tool I purchased long ago. The manual says to insert tool all the way in to cylinder head and count the number of grooves. I dont see any grooves on my tool and what are the size of the shims?A Harley dealership told me a while back they only know of the shims for valve adjustment. I was just asking then for random info just in case I needed them.
Thanks miles 82k

·
Autobanmod
9,943 Posts
Hi rob, this is not rocket science.
I would start by adding approximately 3mm, this won't hurt considering the milage.
I'll see if I can take measurement and a picture later today

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Hello everyone,
Well I believe I need to adjust my cam chains. Reason being I hear noise on the side of the engine upon start up. Then as it warms up it goes away. I also am wondering if its the cold weather. I just dont recall noticing it before. Anyway my problem is I have the tool I purchased long ago. The manual says to insert tool all the way in to cylinder head and count the number of grooves. I dont see any grooves on my tool and what are the size of the shims?A Harley dealership told me a while back they only know of the shims for valve adjustment. I was just asking then for random info just in case I needed them.
Thanks miles 82k
If you have the tool, make use of it. I assume you are setting the cly in question to check at tdcc? Install the tool with no gasket and read the grooves. The groove to shim relation is this.
4-1*
3-2*
2-3
1-4
5 grooves showing would likely be new engine. If you have no grooves showing you have a lot of wear, as in needing 5 shims. Might want to replace guides or possibly chains. Anyway, shims can be had at the dealer or at least one that knows what they are doing. If not, they are nothing special and not hardened. The measurements are .074" or 1.90mm thick. This is the same as the ridge measurement on the tool by the way. The OD is .544" or 13.81mm. Since they just sit there and act as spacers, they can be sawed off from a piece of round bar, filed or belt sanded to shape or parted off in a lathe, doing the OD to .544 and parting them off to .074.
Ron

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chain tensioner

If you have the tool, make use of it. I assume you are setting the cly in question to check at tdcc? Install the tool with no gasket and read the grooves. The groove to shim relation is this.
4-1*
3-2*
2-3
1-4
5 grooves showing would likely be new engine. If you have no grooves showing you have a lot of wear, as in needing 5 shims. Might want to replace guides or possibly chains. Anyway, shims can be had at the dealer or at least one that knows what they are doing. If not, they are nothing special and not hardened. The measurements are .074" or 1.90mm thick. This is the same as the ridge measurement on the tool by the way. The OD is .544" or 13.81mm. Since they just sit there and act as spacers, they can be sawed off from a piece of round bar, filed or belt sanded to shape or parted off in a lathe, doing the OD to .544 and parting them off to .074.
Ron
Ron
I understand, but problem is there are no grooves on tool. I guess the grooves are supposed to be on the shaft that sticks out of it. I have not tried it yet. I just pushed in on tool and cannot see any grooves. Think Jan may have the right idea.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chain tensioner

Well I figured out the tool. It was put together wrong. The shaft with the grooves was on the end of the shaft that goes in the engine. I could not see it because of the spring covering it. Now to figure out shim size. I will look at your explanation Ron and Jans also if he has more info.
Thanks very much:)

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Jan
Are the shims the same as the ones for the valves?
No, valve shims are different. 10mm od and different thicknesses. Note the grooves in the tool. Each section represents a shim. That way its a direct relation from amount of grooves that to the .074" shim disc provided in the example of groove to shim amounts in my previous post . Helps if the tool is assembled correctly. Did you buy it this way?
Rob, the actual shim number is 40095-01k. They can be bought in a bag of 10 and likely individually.
Ron

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chain tensioner

No, valve shims are different. 10mm od and different thicknesses. Note the grooves in the tool. Each section represents a shim. That way its a direct relation from amount of grooves that to the .074" shim disc provided in the example of groove to shim amounts in my previous post . Helps if the tool is assembled correctly. Did you buy it this way?
Rob, the actual shim number is 40095-01k. They can be bought in a bag of 10 and likely individually.
Ron
Yep bought tool that way. And will run this number by Harley tomorrow.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
The one I diassembled to take the photos did not have any shim inside, so I measured the springs outer and plungers inner diameter instaed.
You should use a shim with an outer Diameter of 8,0 to 8,5 mm
Sure that works but he has the tool that will tell him exactly the right amount of stack based on the nominal .074 per shim. He could also use the tool to determine amount and if 3 are needed, saw off one piece of bar to .222 instead of multiples.
Ron

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chain tensioner

You got me confused now. While I've not had one apart, there is no spring in the part numbers although it would make sense to have one.
Ron
Hello,
Well job is complete and simple as Jan said. The number you gave Ron was correct. I let parts guy look it up and he could not find it. So I offered him the number and he said oh I see it I was looking in wrong place. 6 of them $29,So my bike needed 2 shims per cylinder, 3 lines were showing on tool. Engine sounds like new again. Guess I had gotten use to the noise. Glad I bought the tool assembled incorrectly:spank:. I may need to invest in some tension shoes soon.
If engine dont wear out first:).

Thanks Rob :moped:

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Hello,
Well job is complete and simple as Jan said. The number you gave Ron was correct. I let parts guy look it up and he could not find it. So I offered him the number and he said oh I see it I was looking in wrong place. 6 of them $29,So my bike needed 2 shims per cylinder, 3 lines were showing on tool. Engine sounds like new again. Guess I had gotten use to the noise. Glad I bought the tool assembled incorrectly:spank:. I may need to invest in some tension shoes soon.
If engine dont wear out first:).

Thanks Rob :moped:
Someone had a sick sense of humor on that deal. Glad it all came together in the end.
Ron

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Does any one know of after market tool for this?
There was one on ebay about a month ago for $50 and I passed since I already have one, but otherwise it's Revolution specific and hard to get. Not as hard as the tappet compression tools but still scarce. Seems all tools on ebay have dried up lately between a couple of us hording them. LOL I suspect more will pop up over time.
Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
E- bay tools

I had seen a seller on e-bay had a lot of the rev tools about a month ago. I didn't keep up with the listings and ended before I acted on them.:banghead: If I could get my hands on some, I do have machinist buddies that would do me some favers:angeldev:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.