Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounting up the JE Illusions air box with the integrated VGauge tomorrow.

My question is. I have purchased 5 LED's in 4 different colors.
I would like to mount the LED's under the gauge so I still have lights for Turn Signals (two green LEDS) Check Engine (orange led) High Beams (blue LED) and Oil (red LED).

Does anyone know which wires to tap into for this functionality?

Thanks for any help.
Rodric

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
First off, are the LED's your purchased designed for 12Volt operation or do you already have current limiting resistors to wire in as well?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The wiring is all in the manual, except your check engine light, it is on serial data and you can't tap either it or security with LED's. Oil, turn signals and high beam is no problem and pretty straight forward with the wires in the large plug that goes to the original cluster.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
Wire (colors) and pin numbers going into the gauge cluster:

High Beam (White) 2
Left Turn (Yellow) 3
Right Turn (Brown 4
Oil Pressure (Green/Yellow) 9

The Check Engine is not a seperate wire, it is derived from the Data Buss.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
For other wires of interest on that connector:

Battery (Red/Orange) 1
Ground (Black) 5
Ignition (Gray) 6
Neutral (Tan) 11
Accessory (Orange/White) 12

You might also have to experiment with which way the LED's hook to each wire. For example, high beam LED should have the positive (anode) to the White and the negative side (Cathode) to Ground. For the OIl pressure, the positive side should go to Accessory or ignition and the negative should go to (Green/Yellow).

·
The Hawk
3,892 Posts
The oil pressure and the nuetral LED's should be wired to a hot wire and then to the proper wire listed above, you can use a common hot wire for both. To light the LED the switch goes to ground and the light will come on.

Mike

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
When you get the LED's, you will see that the base has a flat side on near one of the wires, that is the Cathode (negative) side.

·
Registered
284 Posts
be careful. if changing to leds and dumping the stock lighting you might need a load equalizer to stop fast blinking and security light from acting up. went with the badlanders if u need one..

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
fastvrod said:
be careful. if changing to leds and dumping the stock lighting you might need a load equalizer to stop fast blinking and security light from acting up. went with the badlanders if u need one..
you can also pick up a replacement bulb and socket from autozone for about $3 and wire it in out of sight.. then tape it up with electrical tabe so you cant actually see it flash and add that load back to the circuit.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
fastvrod said:
This is only an issue for the turn signals. You do not need to be concerned with replacing the indicator lights (BTW, they are already LED's).

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
for the fast blinking turn signals ,buy a high power resistor at radioshack (somwhere above 20 watts capability) These have an aluminum housing and mounts perfect on the alu innerfender just above the taillighthole.No noticeble heat whatsoever even at prolonged use ,costs somwhere 3$ ,(kurjakin 20$?,equilizer 60$++?) exact same result.(better)

if i can find the picture i'l edit it in here

for the value of the resistor i'l have to do som extra testing.Mine work fine at 5,6 ohms but my indicator leds draw about 650mA times 2 .so if you have almost no load i think 3,9 ohm must be ok,but i will have to test that.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
You guys are going off track with the load resistors.... he only wants to convert the Gauge LED's. There is no issue with doing that. No load resistors are required.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
BAD V-R said:
You guys are going off track with the load resistors.... he only wants to convert the Gauge LED's. There is no issue with doing that. No load resistors are required.
the only thing I was mentioning resistors was because you asked if he had gotten 12v leds for the indicators or something different. With that comment I assumed that the wires would have a 12v output. The ones he said he was getting were 3.5-4v leds. I simply put the exact resistor he would need to run those leds to the 12v wires with no problem.

not sure where everyone else started talking about turning signals and stuff

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
the only thing I was mentioning resistors was because you asked if he had gotten 12v leds for the indicators or something different. With that comment I assumed that the wires would have a 12v output. The ones he said he was getting were 3.5-4v leds. I simply put the exact resistor he would need to run those leds to the 12v wires with no problem.

not sure where everyone else started talking about turning signals and stuff
You are exactly correct. I was only referring to the Load Resistors. If you look back to my first post in this thread, you will see that I mentioned the need for Current Limiting resistors (just like you show in your diagram), if he had purchased LED's that were not designed to run on 12 volt (ie. they did not have integrated current limiting resistors). Since he never answered that question (before you posted), I never posted an additional message or diagram showing their proper use on a 12 volt system. Once I saw that you had posted a simple circuit with a good value for a current limiting resistor for a 12 volt system, I did not go any further.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
BAD V-R said:
You are exactly correct. I was only referring to the Load Resistors. If you look back to my first post in this thread, you will see that I mentioned the need for Current Limiting resistors (just like you show in your diagram), if he had purchased LED's that were not designed to run on 12 volt (ie. they did not have integrated current limiting resistors). Since he never answered that question (before you posted), I never posted an additional message or diagram showing their proper use on a 12 volt system. Once I saw that you had posted a simple circuit with a good value for a current limiting resistor for a 12 volt system, I did not go any further.
cool, guess my head is in the clouds today... for some reason I didnt think about you pointing out LOAD resistors :chair: LOL.... i read resistors and my brain went to mush apparently..LOL

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
:hidesbeh:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This thread is why this place kicks a$$. Im picturing a mechanic, at a HD shop, doing a search here, to fix a Vrod in his shop he doesnt want to work on.....:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts