Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the distance between centres for the mounting lugs on the early and late VRSC calipers?
I have a set of '02 fork legs i'm going to fit to my 97 Electra Glide and I think that one of the VRSC caliper types will fit.....

Cheers
Steve

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Anyone know the distance between centres for the mounting lugs on the early and late VRSC calipers? ...
If I understand your question, all VRSC calipers have the same mounting lug spacing. Calipers were changed from Kelsey-Hayes to Brembo in 2006 with no change in fork legs. The same Kelsey-Hayes fixed calipers used on the 2002 to 2005 VRSC bikes were first used on the FLH models in 2000. The mounting lugs for the '84 to '99 single piston floating calipers were different. I just measured the mounting hole spacing on my 2002 VRSCA and saw 2.714" (68.9 mm) ± 0.002" (0.06 mm). I have adapters mounted to fit some aftermarket calipers so the measurement depends on both my eye balling the ruler and how QTM drilled the adapters. I'm guessing the target value is 69 mm.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand your question, all VRSC calipers have the same mounting lug spacing. Calipers were changed from Kelsey-Hayes to Brembo in 2006 with no change in fork legs. The same Kelsey-Hayes fixed calipers used on the 2002 to 2005 VRSC bikes were first used on the FLH models in 2000. The mounting lugs for the '84 to '99 single piston floating calipers were different. I just measured the mounting hole spacing on my 2002 VRSCA and saw 2.714" (68.9 mm) ± 0.002" (0.06 mm). I have adapters mounted to fit some aftermarket calipers so the measurement depends on both my eye balling the ruler and how QTM drilled the adapters. I'm guessing the target value is 69 mm.
That's exactly what I need to know - many thanks :)

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Any insights on the REAR calipers? To switch from Kelsey Hales to Brembo, what should I need Other than caliper, bracket and rotor? Bike is a 2005 SE (same axle and setup as A's)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Any insights on the REAR calipers? To switch from Kelsey Hales to Brembo, what should I need Other than caliper, bracket and rotor? Bike is a 2005 SE (same axle and setup as A's) ...
The brake line needs to be replaced also but I'm not sure if the one for 2007 VRSCAW/DX/X (P/N 41967-07) will work with the VRSCSE Kelsey-Hayes rear master cylinder. If not, then the rear master cylinder needs to be replaced also with (P/N 44740-06).

IMO changing the rear brake to Brembo isn't worth the bother or expense considering how much it contributes to braking performance.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
The brake line needs to be replaced also but I'm not sure if the one for 2007 VRSCAW/DX/X (P/N 41967-07) will work with the VRSCSE Kelsey-Hayes rear master cylinder. If not, then the rear master cylinder needs to be replaced also with (P/N 44740-06).

IMO changing the rear brake to Brembo isn't worth the bother or expense considering how much it contributes to braking performance.
Exactly what has stopped me from doing it always..... Also from another of your posts elsewhere the bracket need to have a bushing made to fit the earlier axle or get an early model bracket pt no 43214-07???

·
EXCELSIOR
8,376 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Brembo rear calipers but the early Kelsey Hayes unit is integral with the bracket, ie. one half the caliper is part of the bracket.

The Brembo bracket will not need to be bushed, rather it will need to be opened up to fit the 1" (25.4mm) from 25mm

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Brembo rear calipers but the early Kelsey Hayes unit is integral with the bracket, ie. one half the caliper is part of the bracket.

The Brembo bracket will not need to be bushed, rather it will need to be opened up to fit the 1" (25.4mm) from 25mm
Not really. There are two types of VRSC Brembo rear calipers.

The VRSCR use a single piece caliper (P/N 44739-06A) that's like the Kelsey-Hayes unit. This is drilled for a 1" = 25.4 mm rear axle (no drilling or bushing required).

The other type is a two-piece caliper/bracket where the caliper is similar to a front caliper (but not the same P/N) and the brackets are available with either a 1" hole as P/N 43034-07 (black) or 43214-07 (silver) or with a 25 mm hole as P/N 44089-08 (black) or 43214-08 (silver).

These brackets could be swingarm specific so I'm not sure about how the two piece units work on the early swingarm. As I mentioned before, IMO, I don't think it's worth the bother to switch.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
What would I do without you stever? :notworth:
Call and BUG ME?

Getting ready to drop my custom rear bracket off at the powdercoaters, in prep for my next rear tire swap, to mount my Brembo Radial.

Just been too LAZY. Need to mount a replacement master on my rear set (forgot the locktite, fell off and dragged - so I had to get a new one), flush the system, then drag ass over to HD for an ABS Bleeddown.

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry. This is unrelated but for two days I have sent countless messages to the administrators about being unable to upload pics because of a "security token" error and NOTHING! Any suggestions? I'm sooo close to canceling my new membership.

Regards,
Street Stick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts