Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always dreamed of having caliper mounted lights on my bike, I wanted them very down low to light up the road at night and to give me more visibility to oncoming traffic.

The only real place to get something like this is motolights, but at an astoundingly GREEDY price of $475 it just was not worth it.

Anyhow I got a local machinist to make the caliper adapters, I think they look MUCH sharper than the motolights ones and are polished stainless. The adapters ran me 50 bucks and the lights from Kuryakyn silver bullets were 80 bucks. A far cry from $475. The bulbs are only 20w, but I plan on getting more powerful bulbs in the near future, Kuryakyn has the 35w ones. The Motolights are only 35w so you are not paying for more light output.

Attachments

·
George
5,411 Posts
I like!.... Any mechanical drawings of the mount available?

·
1,738 Posts
Have him make a bunch of them. I'll bet Max could sell a ton of them in the store, or package them with the lights for a kit.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
nice setup, good work :thumb:

have you looked into adding the x-mas lights around the rim (viewable from the side) like the goldwings have? :stilpoke:

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
You're making me dizzy!

Boy, those guys would sure be hopping around at night on a bumpy road. Might give oncoming vehicle the "wake up" call.(?) :2cents:

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
I'm in for a set too!

·
'04 1300
3,070 Posts
Same here!

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
+1
I've always wondered how they could charge so much for that setup...

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
damn, spinedoc may have a new job. Id like a set too

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
this could end up into a group buy.. :) we could get discount then?

·
1,738 Posts
The only thing that I can say in defense of MotoLites is that the quality and appearance is top notch, even if they only come in satin and polished (no chrome last I looked), but the price is rediculous. I bought the engine guard mounted fog lights from HD for $100something and they are pleanty bright enough for safety and fill in under the low beam at night (and high as I cheated and hooked them up to run also with the high beam for safety).

·
'04 1300
3,070 Posts
One lighting thought I had was to get a couple of the clamp mounts--the ones that the new ultimate touring windshield uses, and mount a couple of driving lights to those. That way, with some type of quick disconnect, I'd have a set of usable fog/driving lights, but also be able to strip them off easily when I want to. Has anyone done anything like that?

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
They do look pretty. Just the sort of thing I've been investigating. Can you tell us about the wiring -- route and switches please?

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I'm not a big fan of caliper mounted lights as I think the wheel and forks diminish their effectiveness, but I must say that from a cosmetic point of view they look very nice. :thumb:

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
not too shabby

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
I really like the look of these mounted down low like that. Better then some of the ones I've seen people mount off their frames around here.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts