Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I disassembled the calipers on my 02 VRSCA on Saturday. Got to use my new compressor which made removing all bolts and the pistons easy. They were stuck, had to crank 150 PSI, to get them out!!!!! (I also used little wood shims to remove pistons, instead of harleys tool) Took longer to clean the parts than disassemble.

Anyway, ordering new pads. I guess lyndalls tommorow and new seals with the G.E 322 L lube that I can'f find anywhere. I am also going to order piston kit, two of the pistons had scratches, so i might as well replace. Also need banjo bolt gaskets and maybee a new master cylinder rebuild kit, i did not take that apart yet.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
If my brakes were fooked the only money I would spend, would be to upgrade to brembo's...

Just a thought..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the problem with my front brakes being spongey. My mechanic would take the calipers off and manually spread the pads out. After that the brakes were fine but soon returned to the sponge state. I showed him the video on how to clean the pistons.He knew of that already. Last week he was going to help me do it. After we started we decided to take them apart for a thorough cleaning. The pistons were hard to take out. I figured after we did this the brakes would be fine. They never returned to a good working condition. I tried to bleed them but all I got was fluid,no air. I am going back to see him tomorrow morning. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had the problem with my front brakes being spongey. My mechanic would take the calipers off and manually spread the pads out. After that the brakes were fine but soon returned to the sponge state. I showed him the video on how to clean the pistons.He knew of that already. Last week he was going to help me do it. After we started we decided to take them apart for a thorough cleaning. The pistons were hard to take out. I figured after we did this the brakes would be fine. They never returned to a good working condition. I tried to bleed them but all I got was fluid,no air. I am going back to see him tomorrow morning. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What/where is this video you speak of ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its on this site somewhere. I cant find it right now. There is a mechanic and he put a few how to videos up. They are on Youtube. I searched there just now and found some but not the VRod.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
46 videos...lol

link in Sig.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Did your mechanic use the proper piston/seal grease when reassembling the calipers?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
:them:

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
I know he put some on the pins or bolts but none on the pistons.
Read over the PDF file that I have attached so you will know the proper rebuild procedure for the calipers. If your calipers need new seals the p/n for that is 44315-00, one kit each for each caliper and the kits have the necessay seal grease included in them. If you can reuse your seals the grease is available at any autoparts store. You should not need new pistons as long as they are not damaged when removed from the calipers. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts