Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a friend who just bought a 2002 cal bike. Does anyone know how to disconnect the cansiter? Anything else to remove?
thanks
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
vrodtom said:
Got a friend who just bought a 2002 cal bike. Does anyone know how to disconnect the cansiter? Anything else to remove?
thanks
ride safe
vrodtom
The charcoal cannister does NOTHING to inhibit performance. California bikes have exactly the same hp as the 49 state bikes.

John

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
John is correct the canister simply traps fuel vapors from the tank and burns them in the engine. It cost you no HP at all.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
What about all that extra weight? :laugh:

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
can the can

I took my canister off and mounted an extra horn unit down there! Just cut the (2) hoses off with a razor knife, and left the hoses under the frame to vent to atmosphere. I made no diff in performance....like the others have said.......but, I needed the space and it worked for me. Good luck! :2cents:

redrazor

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
There's a posting on V-mod.com about the same topic, and Chopper Steve suggests disconnecting the charcoal cannister and plugging the vacuum line. If it doesn't affect performance (and you aren't putting in an extra horn), why mess with it at all?

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Crash said:
There's a posting on V-mod.com about the same topic, and Chopper Steve suggests disconnecting the charcoal cannister and plugging the vacuum line. If it doesn't affect performance (and you aren't putting in an extra horn), why mess with it at all?
I saw that post, and it was about taking the California out of the bike. No where did Steve state it was a performance hindrance but his post was a tad confusing because he didn't tell the poster that there would be no performance gain.

http://www.v-mod.com/messageboard/viewMessage.asp?SerialNumber=3827&catid=1

John

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Crash there is no reason to mess with it at all unless you just feel the need to remove the cannister. I guess since I work with IM240 on a daily basis I see the cannister as being a good thing for the future of my children and grandchildren. Raw fuel vapor being dumped into the air is as big of pollutant as the engine is itself and the cannister is such a minor inconvenience in comparison that I really kind of wish that they all had them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts