Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinkin' about this all of a sudden. We've all had it happen. They pull out in front of you from a side street and stop in the middle of the road trying to make a left turn. I had it happen once doing about 35 and I locked the rear tire while making sure to not lock the front. I thought I was gonna hit for sure but I kept applying pressure to the front brake and actually held up a few feet from the rear bumper of the car. But what about higher speeds? If there is no doubt you are going to hit, do you lay it down, brake like hell, swerve into another lane and pray nothing is there? What would you do? I think I am leaning towards brake like hell and lay it down as a last resort.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Brake like hell. Lock up the rear, and AIM FOR THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR. If I'm going out cuz of a cager, he's getting a face full of my helmet coming through his side window.

If this cager does take me out, I'll haunt him from beyond for the rest of his life.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rjrivero said:
Brake like hell. Lock up the rear, and AIM FOR THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR. If I'm going out cuz of a cager, he's getting a face full of my helmet coming through his side window.

If this cager does take me out, I'll haunt him from beyond for the rest of his life.
I like where you head's at, RJ.

·
____
1,519 Posts
I like RJ's idea best but, for safety's sake, I would lay it down on the short side and hope for the best. If you're not wearing a full face, chances are your head going through a window doesn't sound like a great idea :(

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
Yeah lay it INTO the cage, as long as you're not speeding. (Might invalidate insurance)
After all who's going to fork out for repairs if you slide down the road, certainly not the no-brain cager, he probably didn't notice you anyway and just went on his merry way!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
rjrivero said:

RJ's advice has to be the best I have ever heard! :notworth:

My reaction would be to brake as hard as I could. I remember from my MSF class (and from reading Motorcyclist, SportRider, etc.) to practice the panic braking from all manners of speed. Go out and find a clear road (free of cars) and practice your emergency stops from 35 mph, 55 mph, and so on. The more you practice, the more it will become instinct. I'll be honest, I've done this a few times and it takes guts to nail the binders @ 65 and pull it to a stop as fast as you can. It really got me thinking I needed much more practice.

The same advice goes for swerving - which should be done before the braking. Like the above, find a parking lot, etc. and find a reference spot and practice swerving around it at speed. I'll admit - I've done this only a time or two.

As for laying it down, I've heard of folks doing this - and I wonder if it's more a function of hammering the rear brakes (which is darned near instinctual for most riders) and and trying to swerve a bit - resulting in a lowside - and maybe not intentional. As for myself, I'd rather nail the brakes (and hope like heck I don't get run over from behind) and at least reduce the amount of energy I tranfer into the vehicle that turned left in front of me.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having someone behind you adds a bit of complexity to the situation.

·
Registered
553 Posts
metallica0099 said:
Just thinkin' about this all of a sudden. We've all had it happen. They pull out in front of you from a side street and stop in the middle of the road trying to make a left turn. I had it happen once doing about 35 and I locked the rear tire while making sure to not lock the front. I thought I was gonna hit for sure but I kept applying pressure to the front brake and actually held up a few feet from the rear bumper of the car. But what about higher speeds? If there is no doubt you are going to hit, do you lay it down, brake like hell, swerve into another lane and pray nothing is there? What would you do? I think I am leaning towards brake like hell and lay it down as a last resort.
Well, faced with driving along one day on a three lane road in Portland I had a red Semi truck turn left from the middle lane in front of me... As I realized that there was no way I was going to get the bike stopped and avoid hitting it I somehow flashed that I "did not want to go under it"... It's strange how fast one can process information, I rode with the truck as it turned and ended up smacking it right at the driver's wheel, breaking up the fiberglass front end real good...

I don't remember, but I was told that I hit, went up on the hood and flew about 50 feet, where I woke up looking at my demolished bike... I was wearing leathers, pants and a novelty helmet, which actually protected me pretty well because I had a face mask on too... I have no doubt that was the right thing to do, because I ended up walking away from what could easily have been my last ride... Riding it as long as I could gave me the small bit of control I needed to reduce the damage, and given the same situation I'd do exactly the same thing again... Once you lay it down you have no control at all, and "THAT" freaks me out the worst...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I jumped off my bike. Didn't really have time for anything else. Just got a few bruises and lacerations. I'm thinking, the other person's insurance (or mine) can buy me all the new parts I need. I remember hearing my bike bouncing around in the street--sure was awful, but they are just parts and can be replaced. I can't be replaced. God worked some serious overtime when he made my little skinny ass :D.

·
Registered
494 Posts
rjrivero said:

metallica0099 said:
I like where you head's at, RJ.
:them:

No matter how close you are - maximum drag/braking will occur while the tires are on the road under braking, just PRIOR to lock-up. I've heard about laying the b ike down, but am pretty sure that a bike on its side will slide farther and faster than one under braking load. So, brake like your life depends on it and put your helmet through the guy's ( not really gender-specific) face to give him something to remember you by . . .
Or, if you're a stunt person, brake until just before you hit, then jump off the bike and run up and over the vehicle, landing both feet on the pavement or sidewalk [on the other side of the offending perpetrator] like "you meant to do that" - and take a bow!

·
Registered
494 Posts
tapia said:
I broke hard and swerved to the right. I didn't want to lay her down and pinned under the van.
Glad to see you made it - is that the fetal postion profile of a V-Rod pilot that we see on the hood of the van?

·
Registered
553 Posts
tapia said:
I broke hard and swerved to the right. I didn't want to lay her down and pinned under the van.
Woof! You had mentioned in the past to me about "the wreck" and how 1130cc was really important while healing up, but seeing the pictures glad you're still around...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
metallica0099 said:
Sorry, too late. Stunt driving should be left to stunt drivers. What does that mean? Plan within the zones (remember the crap about 2sec 4sec ....in MSF?) what you are going to do before they ever do it. Have a plan for their worst case move before they execute, then you have a chance to survive without road rash or broken bones.
Do you think that is stupid? They why do people wear full face helments, armor in their jackets, and maybe pants? Why wear any clothes at all, just bike naked. No, really, plan to survive, survive your plan. Anything that is as dangerous as motorcycle riding on highways with cars and drivers that don't even see another car or Tractor trailer has to be managed or death is likely. It is probably more dangerous than sky diving because the ground stays in one spot, it doesn't randomly jump up at you.

So, back on track, you should be planning 4-10 seconds ahead. What is 2 seconds away is too late to think about and if they want to hit you they will. Otherwise you are the Wild Hog sporty rider that jumps off on a high five. Fool looking to get killed.

One thing that disturbs me is this talk of laying down the bike and aiming at the driver's door as though that last hostile act will make your pain any less. One, if you don't try to avoid the collision, you are partially responsible for the collision. If you can aim at a spot on the car, you can aim at a spot that isn't the car.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
HawkStang said:
One thing that disturbs me is this talk of laying down the bike and aiming at the driver's door as though that last hostile act will make your pain any less. One, if you don't try to avoid the collision, you are partially responsible for the collision. If you can aim at a spot on the car, you can aim at a spot that isn't the car.
No offense Hawk, but if I'm going to be taken out by a careless turn in front of me, I want that driver to remember that moment every time they get in their car. I want them NEVER TO DO IT AGAIN TO ANOTHER RIDER. So, if my injuries or death convert one cellphone-talking-latte-drinking-i'm-late-for-my-tanning-appointment-self-richous-narcissist from taking out another bike down the road, at least that would be something. The question was posed as a hypothetical, and that is my hypothetical answer. I would aim for the door, for most dramatic effect. If I don't survive, I would hope to at least make a mark. If I do survive, I have their insurance paying for my v-rod repairs.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
rjrivero said:
No offense Hawk, but if I'm going to be taken out by a careless turn in front of me, I want that driver to remember that moment every time they get in their car. I want them NEVER TO DO IT AGAIN TO ANOTHER RIDER. So, if my injuries or death convert one cellphone-talking-latte-drinking-i'm-late-for-my-tanning-appointment-self-richous-narcissist from taking out another bike down the road, at least that would be something. The question was posed as a hypothetical, and that is my hypothetical answer. I would aim for the door, for most dramatic effect. If I don't survive, I would hope to at least make a mark. If I do survive, I have their insurance paying for my v-rod repairs.
Absolutely no offense taken. I understand the response and recognise that it is one of the ones that go through my mind too. I think that thinking through before the situation comes to a collision allows one the opportunity to logically take steps that are not affected by the huge emotional reaction to a life threatening situation.
Training for managing collision avoidance and mental preparedness will give you a useful set of tools to use instead of a last ditch effort to extract revenge. I will tell you that every time one of those idiots has to be accomodated in their thoughtless rambling movements after I drive around them, I am hit with the RUSH and anger is one of the results. I am thankful that I am usually a little down the road when that hits so that it can dissapate before I have a chance to act it out.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
HawkStang said:
Absolutely no offense taken. I understand the response and recognise that it is one of the ones that go through my mind too. I think that thinking through before the situation comes to a collision allows one the opportunity to logically take steps that are not affected by the huge emotional reaction to a life threatening situation.
Training for managing collision avoidance and mental preparedness will give you a useful set of tools to use instead of a last ditch effort to extract revenge. I will tell you that every time one of those idiots has to be accomodated in their thoughtless rambling movements after I drive around them, I am hit with the RUSH and anger is one of the results. I am thankful that I am usually a little down the road when that hits so that it can dissapate before I have a chance to act it out.
I agree, nothing beats good preparation and a practiced skill set. However, when it comes down to it, be remembered!! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts