Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I lubed my throttle cables today - boy, what a messy job that was. Mind, along with the spraycan I did get the cable clamp gizmo that supposed to make the job easy.... easy my a$$.
I pulled the cables out completely, but that helped only marginally. In the end I've got the throttle grip that's actually easy to roll and it snaps back nicely. Oh well, good for another year ;-)
I wonder if there's a trick to it... anyone?

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
One cable had a tiny rubhole at the front louvre, the other had a slight bend... i tryed the WD40 stuff but that only helped for a while. just like you, the cables detached work fine.. finaly i did put new ones on.... a whole new bike again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have always had better luck using graphite spray on the cables of bikes. It is messy but, seems to last longer and doesn't really attract dirt. Open the control top to expose the cables. Shoot spray into inner part of casing and roll throttle back and forth for about 30 seconds.:2cents:

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
I have always had better luck using graphite spray on the cables of bikes. It is messy but, seems to last longer and doesn't really attract dirt. Open the control top to expose the cables. Shoot spray into inner part of casing and roll throttle back and forth for about 30 seconds.:2cents:
MY PAL IS A HD MECH. AND TOLD ME THAT IS THE BEST THING FOR THE CABLES, CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME THOUGH... YOU CAN FIND IT ON EBAY TOO.

TOO BAD MINE JUST BROKE AND HAD TO CHANGE THEM ANYWAY!:spank:

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Hey fab are your cables SE specific? If your in no rush I will have a spare set off my 03 if you need them?...
THANKS A LOT PAL! Mine use the braided ones, but I guess non braided would work too, just a matter of cosmetics IMO. I just got them installed but rain hasn't allowed me to pic the bike from the mech :soapbox: Found them on ebay at around $50, but they MSRP for $115.00+ !!! :broke:

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Why not use oil that has been thinned with acetone ? I use acetone when spraying paint to thin it out for ease of spraying. The acetone vapors off in a very short amount of time so all I am left with is the paint. I am sure this would also work with oil. And, you can get those small squeeze bottles with the narrow tip to make putting it into the cable holes easy.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I use moly lube or graphite... Lasts longer, doesn't attract dirt, resists water... I usually use the cable luber at the end of the cable... I disconnect the cables from the throttle body, hold them above the handlebars, and then lube the cables... It works pretty good that way...

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Why not use oil that has been thinned with acetone ? I use acetone when spraying paint to thin it out for ease of spraying. The acetone vapors off in a very short amount of time so all I am left with is the paint. I am sure this would also work with oil. And, you can get those small squeeze bottles with the narrow tip to make putting it into the cable holes easy.
Because acetone will melt the plastic sheathing, and destroy the paint where it touches. No acetone will ever come near my bike!

·
brett
9,338 Posts
so i dont get mess everywhere i squirt the inox or whatever you want to use into a medical needle syringe ,undo the housing so i can get at the cables where they go down the tubes push the needle in a bit and unload it no mess no fuss

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
I seriously need to do this over the winter...

I've had sticky-throttle since I bought the bike 6,000 miles ago... :(

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
so i dont get mess everywhere i squirt the inox or whatever you want to use into a medical needle syringe ,undo the housing so i can get at the cables where they go down the tubes push the needle in a bit and unload it no mess no fuss
Hmmmmmm I'm going to have to try that technique... We have animals so I've got syringes laying around :)... The cable luber gets messy sometimes :)...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I seriously need to do this over the winter...

I've had sticky-throttle since I bought the bike 6,000 miles ago... :(
I have had a similar problem with my bike since new. It is not the cables on my bike but, the link between both butterflies from one cylinder to the other, rubbing on the coolant hose that runs up the right side between the cylinders hiding behind the decorative cover. Thought I might mention this find, as it drove me crazy.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
I have had a similar problem with my bike since new. It is not the cables on my bike but, the link between both butterflies from one cylinder to the other, rubbing on the coolant hose that runs up the right side between the cylinders hiding behind the decorative cover. Thought I might mention this find, as it drove me crazy.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into that first...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts