Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of how I vented my engine to the atmosphere, by-passing the "fire hydrant" breather canister in the air box. Sorry for the cell phone pic, but it was all I had handy before I put the air box back on. I removed the canister body, then joined the front and rear breather tubing together with a metal fuel line hose coupler and a couple of fuel line clamps. At the rear, I cut off the elbow from the stock hose and replaced it with an automotive heater hose tee from Checker Auto. The tee has two 5/8" connections and one 5/16" connection. I used stainless steel ties to clamp the 5/8" hoses to the tee. Then ran 5/16" fuel hose off the tee down to the rear of the gas tank and put an inline fuel filter at the end of this hose to keep unwanted stuff out and to catch any oil that makes it back there.

Attachments

·
VRSCX #395
206 Posts
looks great i am about to do the same mod will copy yours but will add a krank vent after the tee,used this setup on my 107tc had a slight weep at the cylinder base the krank vent cured that

·
VRSCX #395
206 Posts
Beeek said:
This is a new one for me...what does this do for you?
redirects the hot oily mist to the atmosphere instead of going back through the motor was told this adds about 2hp to a twin cam and you will have a cleaner burning motor

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Unless I miss my guess your going to lose a lot more oil like that. There is a great deal of oil mist in the breather tubes then you might think, I know I had mine loose at the air filter housing one time and started the bike for just a second and got a fine mist oil shower. The can that is in the breather has deflectors and catch areas in it to run the oil back down to the engine, without it I think your going to be venting a great deal more oil out.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Sounds like the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (pcv) system in Nissan's VG30DE engine. Some people use an oil catch can to trap the oil mist and re-introduce the contents to maintain oil level.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
people use a small separater when they do this mod on the cobra boards... you end up with a small glass housing that separates and traps the oil while letting the air to pass "oil free" back into the intake.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Unlike a v-8 engine that for the most part one piston down displaces the air of the next piston going up not to mention the fact that they have a lot more crankcase volume. A 60 degree v-twin moves two pistons down and then two pistons up, so what you have is 69 cubic inches of air moving in and out of the engine very fast instead of the air inside the engine just being moved around it actually has to vent even if your rings didn't leak any at all. So in this massive amount of air moving in and out very fast you also have an oil mist being carried in it, you really need a catch can type system that can catch and return the oil to the engine. To try and just vent the hoses will most likely cost you a great deal of oil and make a huge mess at the same time. That is the reason all of these bikes have some oil in the bottom of the air filter housing, it is impossible to filter out all of the oil out of the air that vents the crankcase.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
max....

so you think using something like this inline

autozone part #MP5138
and then at the bottom of the housing running a tube to return the oil back into the crankcase

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the good input on my mod. I'll keep close eye on oil level and how much of a mess this vent makes. Sounds like I may need to add a catch can with an oil return line back into the crankcase.

Any ideas of where to plumb a return line into the motor?

·
The Hawk
3,906 Posts
What is wrong with the stock system? Works very well, vents the crankcase quite well, is self contained and does not make a mess.

Mike

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Elgavilan said:
What is wrong with the stock system? Works very well, vents the crankcase quite well, is self contained and does not make a mess.

Mike
What I was thinking. Seems like a lot of mucking around and then you retrofit something that does the same as the thing you're taking off, but I ain't no mechanic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Max said:
Unless I miss my guess your going to lose a lot more oil like that. There is a great deal of oil mist in the breather tubes then you might think, I know I had mine loose at the air filter housing one time and started the bike for just a second and got a fine mist oil shower. The can that is in the breather has deflectors and catch areas in it to run the oil back down to the engine, without it I think your going to be venting a great deal more oil out.
Yeap. I agree with Max....Just as a test, you should have cranked it and let it run for a couple of minutes with the lower airbox off...Very messy...I have a whole new appreciation for the little can in the airbox...

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dirk_Pitt said:
Yeap. I agree with Max....Just as a test, you should have cranked it and let it run for a couple of minutes with the lower airbox off...Very messy...I have a whole new appreciation for the little can in the airbox...
I'll take pics after I crank it and post whatever oil mess I make. The reason I did this is because my entire airbox is "clean air" side. Meaning that my air filter is mounted external to the box. The box is full of Boss Noss components and I don't want the stock breather oiling down my Noss electronics. Stay tuned for pics later...

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
tapman22 said:
I'll take pics after I crank it and post whatever oil mess I make. The reason I did this is because my entire airbox is "clean air" side. Meaning that my air filter is mounted external to the box. The box is full of Boss Noss components and I don't want the stock breather oiling down my Noss electronics. Stay tuned for pics later...
make sure to at least extend and route your hose so that it does not have the chance of oiling the rear tire. If in the chance that oil does come out while riding, you DO NOT want that any where near the rear tire.

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And here are the results I promised:

UPDATE: I'm all back together and back on the road now. The breather mod is working fine. I'm not blowing any oil after a total of about 250 miles. I have hit the NO2 button about 6 times too. Nothing but air coming out of the breather vent. This is a good thing as the vent is pointing right at my rear tire.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
tapman22 said:
UPDATE: I'm all back together and back on the road now. The breather mod is working fine. I'm not blowing any oil after a total of about 250 miles. I have hit the NO2 button about 6 times too. Nothing but air coming out of the breather vent. This is a good thing as the vent is pointing right at my rear tire.
The first time I noticed this post but I did a similar thing. I have a turbo and the vent was going back in the air filter. I didn't like that for it seemed to blow the K&N (good oil) out of the filter and turn the filter white (lack of K&N filter oil) and black (dirty). I vented mine out the bottom of the bike with some long fuel line routed. I have had no problems, no oil leaking, no oil loss, no oil spots on the garage floor etc. I've put hundreds of miles on since this mod and now my K&N filter stays nice and clean and oiled. I will not switch back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts