Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I currently own an 07 SV650 and I am looking to make the jump to the dark side. :D I am looking at used 03-06 v-rods. I have been searching the boards and trying to gather as much info about them as possible.
My questions:
1. What are some of the problem areas with the v-rod? What should I be specifically looking for on used bikes?

2. Are there any years that I should stray away from?

3. Should I stay away from bikes with high mileage? How does this motor perform over the long term?

Thanks for all of the help!!
 

·
Ducking for cover!
Joined
·
8,455 Posts
Welcome! You did yourself a HUGE favor by coming here first! I'm sure your questions will be answered.
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
#1 send me 23k$ and I'll send you my 2003 turbo bike.

#2 you have more fun than should be legal

#3 I take the money and buy a new 08 badass DX and be happier than you!

No really, I have not heard nayone say that one year or the other had trouble...the 1st 2 years there were some tiny tiny things that were improved later...water bottle, fuel lines, motor mount...but less than 100 bucks worth of upgrades.

I have a feeling that this motor will hold out longer than air cooled, pushrod motors, but I could be wrong.

Ask the seller if the bike can do a burnout. If he says I don't know, buy it. If he says yea...all the way from my house to the freeway on ramp...it's probabally been abused.

If you want to get a good deal, look here on the forum for all the guys that just bought 07's and now kick themselves because 08s got better and are now selling dirt cheap...

Go to the classifieds and look there... HERE
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
5,940 Posts
Welcome to the forum, get ready to spend almost 2-6 hours a day on here. Also if you have a girl/wife you might want to warn her about you new addiction called vrodism. From my research I did back in Dec of 05, there is no real bad year for the VRods. Another thing is the actual search on here is a great way to find what you need, good luck and welcome to the family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the response. A fellow member just pm me with one near me for 9,500. It’s a 2002. Was 02 the first year for the V-rod?
 

·
Another Ski season
Joined
·
2,631 Posts
yes
 

·
Ducking for cover!
Joined
·
8,455 Posts
Chris07 said:
Thanks guys for all the response. A fellow member just pm me with one near me for 9,500. It’s a 2002. Was 02 the first year for the V-rod?

2002 was a good year. 2003 even better! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One last question for you guys. My wife is sensitive to vibrations in the foot pegs. How are the vibrations in the foot pegs and handle bar area?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Chris07 said:
One last question for you guys. My wife is sensitive to vibrations in the foot pegs. How are the vibrations in the foot pegs and handle bar area?
The A, B and SE models mount the passenger pegs to the swingarm. This will transmit some road vibration. The D. R and DX models hang the passenger pegs from the frame. Less vibration - but they are higher up, so seating position for her would be more sport-bikey.

Not sure on the AW - especially the 08s
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
5,940 Posts
Never heard a complaint out of my wife.:bs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
ohioVROD said:
Never heard a complaint out of my wife.:bs:
I said nothing about your wife complaining. Truth is that swingarm-mounted pegs will pick up more road vibration than ones hanging from the frame, thus benefitting from suspension. How is that BS? Have you compared the two? Has she?

The swingarm mounts also provide more legroom. It's a matter of choosing. Chris07 asked - I answered with facts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so if the pegs are mounted to the swing then I assume the pegs move when a bump is hit? That would seem awkward to me…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Chris07 said:
so if the pegs are mounted to the swing then I assume the pegs move when a bump is hit? That would seem awkward to me…
Yes, but not a lot... they are mounted on the swingarm quite close to the pivot point, so in reality very little movement is transmitted.

As test, I put an A style peg on the left side of my D, then hung my heels back there (I was looking for more legroom for my GF). I could feel the road on the left - not on the right. Minor - and if you weren't doing a side-by-side, you may not be bothered a lot, but there IS a difference.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
5,940 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
I said nothing about your wife complaining. Truth is that swingarm-mounted pegs will pick up more road vibration than ones hanging from the frame, thus benefitting from suspension. How is that BS? Have you compared the two? Has she?

The swingarm mounts also provide more legroom. It's a matter of choosing. Chris07 asked - I answered with facts.

WOW I was making a joke...........easy steppenwolf.:stilpoke:Down boy....down boy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Chris07 said:
Thanks guys for all the response. A fellow member just pm me with one near me for 9,500. It’s a 2002. Was 02 the first year for the V-rod?
Yup .. can't beat an 02 IMHO
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Yes ...but the 02 passenger seat sucks AZZZZZ she will hate you after 10 minutes!

You will need to get something else..but anything comfortable looks like AZZZZ

It's a compromise....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
ohioVROD said:
WOW I was making a joke...........easy steppenwolf.:stilpoke:
You called it BS, I've actually compared the two. All good. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think road vibes impact her its the engine "buzz" My SV has some and its a v-twin, so I would assume a large motor like this would have some...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Chris07 said:
I don't think road vibes impact her its the engine "buzz" My SV has some and its a v-twin, so I would assume a large motor like this would have some...
In that case, the bike is Smoooooooth.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top