Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a choice to make tomorrow.

Option 1: is a 2008 black VRSCAW for$6500 with 9k miles. Stock with a brake light upgrade. Original owner. No AB

Option 2: 2007 night rod special VRSCDX for $6000 with 20.5k miles. Has stage 1 kit. It was inspected by HD last year because it was bought from their dealer and got new fluids brake pads and tires last season. I tried to jiggy down the price but he paid 10k for it last year and won’t budge.

Both bikes have the 240 rear and 5 gal tank.

Just seeing if anyone knows anything I haven’t seen yet about problems that were fixed between years. I don’t care about the engine difference in HP rating. Thanks for any input. Athletically I’m leaning towards the 07.

I’ve been riding for 11 years now and never had a bike newer than 2003 so the slipping clutch doesn’t really matter to me either. Thanks for the help guys.
I also posted this in new member introduction thread because I didn’t know which was correct but I’ll delete one.

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Me?
I would go for the -07dx.
Why?
Cause I already owns one...
Dechromed and black frame ++ but stock wheels sucks. Heavy too!

Reactions: ClevelandOH27

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's really just down to personal preference.

I was at the same point between the same models and other than looks the riding positions are different. I ended up with a muscle and busman riser.

On the 07 being inspected by HD means nothing unless they documented the valve lash check. And that would be the only concern with the 07 with the milles.

I know, everyone on here runs a billion miles before they need shims but it's scheduled maintenance you just want to make sure is done.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
2008 changes from 2007
1) 1250cc from 1130cc
2) Updated Heads (improved flow/sandcast version of CNC)
3) Cam Change (no more compression release cams in 2008)
3) Larger Battery Capacity
4)Feedback Fuel Injection
5)SLIPPER NOT SLIPPING Clutch (20% reduction in lever effort, plus increased clamping force under load due to dual ramping)
6)Axle and Bearing size change from 1" to 25mm
7)ABS Brake option

Reactions: ManicMechanic

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
What’s up with the stock wheels? Just catch a lot of wind?
No, no major problems with crosswinds as the rims are in the slotted version. They are just very heavy ... I myself chose to retrofit rims from the model "F", looks better and less weight.

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
I would lean towards the 2008 with the bigger motor.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Isn't that '07 a 1250 ? or is that only the '07 VRSCX model with the 1250 and CNC Screaming Eagle Heads ? In any case I'd go with the '08 myself it's above the cutoff line for the updated, improved models so a better bike. Heard the footpeg brackets are a bit weak on the '08 don't know for sure maybe someone hear can confirm or deny that -

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
So if 1130cc with the 240 tire that was the slowest V Rod ever made. Again go with the '08 all day long - $ 500 more for over 10K less miles ? Don't have to pay for a valve clearance shimming for a few to 5 years ? No Brainer.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Riding 11 years? That's all?
The first time you go for a hard decel using rapid downshifting, and the rear wheel control gets sketchy you"ll wish you had a SLIPPER CLUTCH.
And I have over 14 years of experience riding the V-Rod, and riding 45 years all together. But what do I know.

Reactions: ManicMechanic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Riding 11 years? That's all?
The first time you go for a hard decel using rapid downshifting, and the rear wheel control gets sketchy you"ll wish you had a SLIPPER CLUTCH.
And I have over 14 years of experience riding the V-Rod, and riding 45 years all together. But what do I know.
I also could have bought a big truck with 4x4 that would have been safer than my Camry, but I don’t like trucks. I’m not saying you’re wrong just that with my options of VRSC bikes within 200 miles were very slim in my price range and I couldn’t buy something I didn’t like the looks of esthetically. If the 08 was silver or orange I would have but i thought it looked weird. Not much I can do about that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! No matter the year or model. Any VROD will give you miles of smiles. No bike is perfect. The closest I've seen to it is an 1800 Goldwing. It will do absolutely everything better than a VROD, other than a drag race. But I get more pleasure riding the VROD than any bike I've ever had or have. I would agree with the Slipper Clutch addition. I just got one for my 03. But for a different reason. Never needed one to learn clutch lever control. But the early bikes had weak clutches from the get go. Happy riding & Keep the rubber on the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts