Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading through allot of posts I think I can get an honest answer here. I know if I posted this question on the BLVD site they will trash the Harley LOL.

So I just sold my old Intruder because the Carbs pissed me off for the last time. Fuel Injection is a must have. I am looking at 2 bike currently.

2007 M109R SE
2005 VROD

I like Big bikes because they feel stable on the Highway and the wide stance of the 109 feels very comfortable. I am 200lbs and 6'1"

Everything I have found shows the VROD out performs the 109 but I am not planning on racing (Best Friend has a RoadGlide Turbo that just Dyno'd 180.11HP.. I just need to keep up not beat him LOL

I plan on test driving a VROD today to see if it feels big enough to run back and forth in Rush hour traffic at 80mph without being blown all over the road by trucks.

My concern about the VROD is the 2005 is an 1130cc and only has a 180 rear tire. I really like the 240 rear on the newer VROD's but the budget won't allow me to pull the trigger on those right now.

How much of a difference is there in the 1130 and 1250? Besides 120cc.....

If VROD is the way to go should I bide my time until a used 1250 is available?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check the Classified Bike section on the forum here there are many "DX" models that have the 240 and the 1250. Most of them are reasonably priced. If you wait until you can afford something, you will never get it....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the Classified Bike section on the forum here there are many "DX" models that have the 240 and the 1250. Most of them are reasonably priced. If you wait until you can afford something, you will never get it....
My Suburban is paid for in 15 months so after that the family budget will pay for whatever I want. Right now I am looking at getting into a lower cost bike and make the payments out of my slush fund... The wife will be pissed for a little while but I drive 40+miles to work each day and my Suburban averages 15mpg so at current prices that is $100 per week in gas. If I drive the bike at least 10 days per month it will pay for itself and anything over that is money in my pocket..

Rather spend the money on a bike than burning it out the tailpipe.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Not sure how much you have to spend on a bike - but a 1250cc with the 240 tire and larger gas tank is the way to go. You won't feel too much difference in the engine size - i just went from an 07/1130 to an 08/1250 - it's modest. but the tire size and gas tank will make a difference.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,460 Posts
While they look the same there are many small changes between the two to warrant waiting till you can afford a newer model.
With that said I own an 04 model and love it. I'm happy with the 180 rear and performance wise there is not much difference in the two as stock.
The newer models do have the larger fuel tank which is a major plus, other wise you'll be holding up your buds with a fill up every 100 miles.

·
Registered
534 Posts
V-rod is definitely the way to go!! If you can, get an "R" or vrscr version of V-rod. I think you can get some that were made in 05, but they mostly are 06-07. It will definitely let you go 80 mph in traffic and also has Bembro brakes for those quick city stops that occur from time to time!! Also it will resale for more than you buy it for in a couple of years!! That's the trifecta in the biking world!! Good luck on whatever you chose.:)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
go with a 08 or newer you'll get the 1250cc, 5 gallon tank, and slipper clutch all stock. with an option for abs. check the classifieds here. i think you could get a very nice one already modded to your liking for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow!! Major keyboard malfunction!! You left out somebody too!! I going to bed now and rest up my mind for awhile!! LOL I hope it was just a case of hands typing faster than the brain and not old-timers setting in!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
If U haven't already notice, this site will be very partial towards everything VRod. So my comments will not be an exception, but I will comment on the question that U asked about the handling of the bike in traffic, with the solid wheeled rims U will experience a wobbling effect with large trucks in high speed traffic and on very windy days. Not to said that this doesn't occur with other bikes, but with the VRod it can be sometimes very pronounced. Even knowing this, I would not have any other bike for the reasons mention above and soon after this post.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
buy a vrod,if your dreams dont scare you,then theyre not worth having.ive had vrods since march 02 and ive had my problems with them but i wouldnt have anything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so I pulled the trigger. left a small deposit today so I can piss the wife off before I sign on the dotted line. Now for some more questions. Anyone know what exhaust this is? It also has an after market filter on it but I didn't see a controller. The shop said they would get the mechanic to look and see if there is a controller but I thought you had to have one when you change out the filter and exhaust?

It is an '05 with 15k miles and I got it for $8k out the door. If it does not have a controller what do you guys recommend?

Where can I find some better looking foot pegs?

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
If U haven't already notice, this site will be very partial towards everything VRod. So my comments will not be an exception, but I will comment on the question that U asked about the handling of the bike in traffic, with the solid wheeled rims U will experience a wobbling effect with large trucks in high speed traffic and on very windy days. Not to said that this doesn't occur with other bikes, but with the VRod it can be sometimes very pronounced. Even knowing this, I would not have any other bike for the reasons mention above and soon after this post.
Solid wheeled bikes getting blown around more than other wheels is a myth. I'm not going to argue, just a fact, it's a myth !!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good choice . Nice bike
Having owned a 109 I think you'll prefer the V Rod.
The 109 was an OK bike but the Stratoliner I replaced it with whipped it's ass in all areas other than outright acceleration.
It was close though as my Strat was pushing out 100 odd hp to the wheel.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I am surprised that you pulled the trigger, compared to the 109 the vrod is like a minibike. The 109 is a wide beast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am surprised that you pulled the trigger, compared to the 109 the vrod is like a minibike. The 109 is a wide beast.
The sales manager at the Suzuki dealership is to blame. Loved the 109 but she acted like she was the customer and could care less if I bought it. The Harley will hold its value allot better than the 109 anyway so in15 months when my suburban is paid for I will be able to trade up to a newer one if I want.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts