Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, giddyup...

So I found a 2013 out of Ohio. It has 1250 miles on it, very good price. Vivid Black, All stock, never serviced - I mean never. The reason this is a concern for me is my plan is to fly to OH and ride it home 4.5 hrs to Chicago. I asked all the standard buying questions on the phone. I'm gonna do the walk around, and test ride before handing over the cash. Anything from the community here that you can think of for me to look for, ask, consider, or be concerned about before I ride it 300mi home. At this point safety is my concern. I'm pretty much going to ride it right to a 1000 mile service apt.

·
"Vrod King"
910 Posts
Check the tires and make sure they are not dried out and cracked.

·
-MIG
64 Posts
As mentioned, tires are going to be the most critical. Of course, make sure all of the fluids are within range and then I'd recommend babying her on the ride home.
-MIG

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
As mentioned tires and pressures. That's about it , pre ride. I'd be concerned if it has ABS and lack of fluid flushes and HCU cycling which should be done every 2 years max. Check brake function front and back and if either produces a rock hard ineffective braking, time to negotiate price on the deal. If all good in the brake department and you go in for service, do engine coolant as well..
Ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe if there is a dealer close by you can book a service visit for tires and fluids before taking the ride back. Might have to spend an extra half day in Ohio, but could be much safer given the ride back...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe if there is a dealer close by you can book a service visit for tires and fluids before taking the ride back. Might have to spend an extra half day in Ohio, but could be much safer given the ride back...
Yeah I thought of this. But it's not an option with my job. I have 1 day to do this. So other than staying overnight, I have to be smart and be as prepared as I can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As mentioned tires and pressures. That's about it , pre ride. I'd be concerned if it has ABS and lack of fluid flushes and HCU cycling which should be done every 2 years max. Check brake function front and back and if either produces a rock hard ineffective braking, time to negotiate price on the deal. If all good in the brake department and you go in for service, do engine coolant as well..
Ron
Good call on the ABS. I asked the guy he said he didn’t know (makes me feel that’s a No)... but how can you tell by looking at it? Rather not try to lock it up just to know :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As mentioned, tires are going to be the most critical. Of course, make sure all of the fluids are within range and then I'd recommend babying her on the ride home.
-MIG
yep the guy said no dry rot but obviously I'll look that over.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Pfff... yeah (duh). Sorry fellas been a long day. Right there on top center.
Unless it's blinking it means nothing. It will be a standard face that covers with or without. Same with security. Both with and without security will have the symbol but only the security function will activate the light if it's on board. Same with ABS.
Ron

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Unless it's blinking it means nothing. It will be a standard face that covers with or without. Same with security. Both with and without security will have the symbol but only the security function will activate the light if it's on board. Same with ABS.
Ron
I think he meant how can he tell if the bike has ABS fitted or not just by looking at it. The light coming on with the ignition is probably the easiest giveaway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ron
Right. Figured as much. I found a few posts that say ABS will blink up to 2mph as you start to roll away. So that’s your easy button to check. Other than that I also read the left side will have two cables along the break line is another way to tell.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Right. Figured as much. I found a few posts that say ABS will blink up to 2mph as you start to roll away. So that’s your easy button to check. Other than that I also read the left side will have two cables along the break line is another way to tell.
You can also see the HCU at the front just above the rad. Aluminum block with 4 brake lines attached. Non ABS doesn't have that block. There rear brake light switch is circled in yellow. Non ABS have it down under, near back of engine.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well... its done. Got a new horse in my stable.

Monday: Uber to Chicago O’Hare -> United flight to Detroit-> Detroit Uber to Ohio -> Ohio 300mi on my new girl, back to Chicago.

Did the ride through 4 states, through the 🌧 on/off rain. (OH, MI, IN, IL). First time riding distance in rain.. so yeah not only a cool story, but I conquered my fear of unpredictable rain. It wasn't like a monsoon or anything but still it was coming down pretty well. (All I needed was a train for 🚂 ✈ and 🚘).

I have a black DX and I rode it around to show my friends to see if they would notice. They said “something is different”.. your bike looks shorter. (Huh.. didn’t really see it before, but I kinda do now). What my friends were trying to express that the backend (the booty) was bigger and the airbox (the chest) .... was “chestier”

and I thought to myself a girl who has a big ass and a nice rack....

Introducing “JLo”. hahahahhaah.

Got her to a 1K service apt yesterday, no issues, and life is good!

Attachments

·
-MIG
64 Posts
AWESOME to hear you and "JLo" are bonding so well... There's nothing like a long ride through changing weather to give you increased confidence and a cool story. I remember my first blinding downpour riding through St. Louis. Then there's the ride to Montana when I was surprised with snow... heh! BTW, she looks GREAT!
-MIG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts