Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for my first bike. I have ridden dirt bikes about 15 years ago when I was a kid so this will be my first street bike. I've never even ridden a street bike before. Insight would be nice from DX and F owners. I've already spent hours researching this site.

DX: I like the way it feels when I sit on it with feet flat on the floor. The seat is comfortable, feels more like I'm sitting inside the bike. And it is lower so I feel more stable with feet on the ground. When my feet are on the controls I feel a bit more cramped. The looks of the bike are ok, but it would take alot of customizing to get it where I would like it.

F: Seat is wider and sits further forward and not as comfortable or stable when my feet are flat on the floor. Feels perfect when my feet are on the controls. I like the looks of the bike out of the box. Won't need much customizing to get it done.

Obviuosly I haven't ridden either bike so I'm look for unbiased opinions (if they exist).

TIA for any replies.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
From a similar thread

Alright, so I am hell bent on getting a VROD VRSC, sickest bike I have ever seen!!! Just need some help choosing the right one.

I am most likely gonna get a used bike and with 7 years to choose from and being fairly new to bikes, I don't see clearly which one is best for me. No surprise, EVERY year has riders that praise their bike and couldn't see themselves riding anything else.

So how do they compare year by year? I see that fuel tank and rear tire size are larger in the more recent years, but is there really one year that stands out more than others???

I don't mind paying a little bit more for a more recent bike if in the long run it will be a better ride and value.

Any feedback and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Austin
With this bike or any Harley, any cruiser for that matter, buy what looks good to you - period. There is obviously no handling threshold you're anticipating or serious performance requirements or you would be shopping elsewhere, so please your eyeballs.
There is not a single model other than the destroyer that is head and shoulders above the rest in any 1 category. The R has a bit more lean if you like sitting up high. The (minor) weight thing some yak about is also a non-issue unless you're looking for ET's. Research what years have the 5 gl tank , ABS.
I scrape with the best of them and can do anything with my 240 that I did with the 180 - anything, a sacrifice of a few ponies due to a bit heavier rim and tire (and frame) but plenty HP to spare, again are we Andrew Hines?.
Buy looks! Everyone does, they may not admit it though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was in the same position as you few months back. I really liked the look of the F. When I sat on the DX and F side by side the, the DX just felt better for me. I found the F too wide. Though, I did like the upgrades on the F, so I am customizing my DX. I added Tab Slipp ons, PCV, Scorpio i800 perimeter sensor alarm, relocated front signal lights to fork, turned the mirrors. Will be adding Rizoma handle bars and PC Autotune soon. customizing is all part of the experience. And I am in the process of custom fitting a seat.

I glad I chose the DX, It works for me.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
F: Seat is wider and sits further forward and not as comfortable or stable when my feet are flat on the floor. Feels perfect when my feet are on the controls. I like the looks of the bike out of the box. Won't need much customizing to get it done.
Right there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:them:
Get the "F" if it feels right, I like my new F better than my 08 D. Seems to handle better at slow speeds as well. Well, the mid controls made it feel tighter at highway speeds.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
take the one that is the most comfortable and requires the least amount of customizing to get it where you want it

·
Registered
87 Posts
my 03a would be more like the dx i think and its really easier riding distance because of the seat-bars but is narrow looking but my f looks better.i like that its bigger looking-tank and tire and has a different sound that i really like but my back will hurt if i ride the f longer then 45mins ,,im 6-2

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
not for nothing but that HORRID rear fender on the F would keep me from ever considering.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
my 03a would be more like the dx i think and its really easier riding distance because of the seat-bars but is narrow looking but my f looks better.i like that its bigger looking-tank and tire and has a different sound that i really like but my back will hurt if i ride the f longer then 45mins ,,im 6-2
have you flipped the pegs around yet. I'm 6'2" as well, and it is much more comfortable for me now that i flipped the pegs.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Get the one that looks best to you. I think if there was a blacked out F the DX wouldn't sell very well anymore.
I disagree, if they took the front end of the F and put it on the DX they would have the perfect bike.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Buy what's comfortable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts