Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a used Night Rod Special however a little leery about the purchase since they discontinued the V-rod model. Admittedly I'm coming over from the dark side (sport bike world) and don't know anything about HD as a company or it's support of its older/discontinued models. I'm concerned about future parts availability, aftermarket parts slowing drying up. Any opinions/insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
The bad news: OEM parts are getting harder to find. Aftermarket parts are drying up.

The good news: The bike is pretty bombproof and part replacement (at least for me) is pretty minimal. As in "nothing".

The great news: It's a HOOT to ride!

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
The dealers never really supported them when they were in production. I still manage to find whatever I may need out there. Being here on the forum is a great resource for parts and information. I think in 10 years or so (even now) when some guys are in a panic about never finding parts, there will be some of us out there looking to buy your ride from you. I see ones out there everyday sitting in garages with really low mileage and I'm one of those waiting for the panic to set in.

BUY IT. RIDE IT. DON'T WORRY or tell us where it's at.

Oh yeah, welcome to the darker side. :vrodforu:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Late model like the 2017s will have OEM parts for quite a while. These exact same parts fit back to 2012 for frame an body parts. Engines, well, a 1250 is a 1250 from the first day all the way to 2017. I'll be done riding before running out of either new or used parts. Unlike Victory where they dropped the whole deal, pretty sure HD will at least half assed honor replacement parts for a while from the last year of production.
Ron

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Rough calculations put the total number sold worldwide at around 180,000.Half of them would have less than 10,000 miles on them but heaps of dust.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've found no issues getting OE parts. Wonder what parts the other guy (didn't check the name, sorry), had a hard time finding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up a used 2014 Night Rod about a month ago. I've already purchased a number of aftermarket parts online from NewCastle Harley and never had a problem with getting stock.

I had a Victory before this and was always just indifferent toward Harley, never had a problem with them but never overly impressed either. This Night Rod however is a hell of good bike. Much better bike than my Victory in nearly every way, and one I'll be keeping for many years. Pick one up and you won't be disappointed.

·
Horsepower Whisperer
727 Posts
I picked up a used 2014 Night Rod about a month ago. I've already purchased a number of aftermarket parts online from NewCastle Harley and never had a problem with getting stock.

I had a Victory before this and was always just indifferent toward Harley, never had a problem with them but never overly impressed either. This Night Rod however is a hell of good bike. Much better bike than my Victory in nearly every way, and one I'll be keeping for many years. Pick one up and you won't be disappointed.
Welcome to both you and the op.
Great bikes. Not a "real" Harley, and I'm so glad for that. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys new here and to the Harley game. I was wondering what’s the difference between a 2014 nrs and a 16? I’m close to pulling the trigger on one. Very similar in miles one has sercurity system the other doesn’t.
PS didn’t mean to thread jack but the search button is getting me any good answers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys new here and to the Harley game. I was wondering what’s the difference between a 2014 nrs and a 16? I’m close to pulling the trigger on one. Very similar in miles one has sercurity system the other doesn’t.
PS didn’t mean to thread jack but the search button is getting me any good answers.
As far as I know there's no real difference between the two years. Mine didn't come with the keyless security system, so I picked one up for $250 from NewCastle Harley, and have to have a dealership program the fobs, so that's something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
important for me is, when friends ask to ride with them, i can answer: yes.! no problems, just gas, the right presssure in the tires and GO!

had 2 early shovels '68 lots of little problems everyday, 1 fatboy '95
and had to answer "no". i can't, cause its under repair.

vrod is for me , trouble free driving, fast, hard and good looking.

wilco.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
The bikes are bombproof.

Change the oil once in a while, put air in the tires, give it a bath and a polish occasionally.

That's it.

(Well, except for burning through rear tires, but that's a right-handed throttle problem).

R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get it. Ride it. Love it. Repeat!
A noob, but I agree, I just bought a 13 muscle, under 7k miles. Extremely happy with my purchase, and there was underlying "need" to get rid of the bike from people who where selling it for whatever reason, which worked out for me $ wise and otherwise, cause I plan on riding the heck out of this bike every chance I get.

Roberto

·
VRSCF
1,289 Posts
No issues here in Europe so far, and they have to keep parts supply for 10 years, so worry about it then....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts