Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum and others that I have been a member of always have riders talking up their mods. I have bought many expensive add-ons based on feedback but I must say that the mod is not always as good as the hype. My top dissapointments were, chromed calipers and bolts (the bolts rusted way too quickly), and polished rotors and chrome rotor bolts (paid a fortune to polish rotors just to scratch them up when braking, a lot of cash to end up with a polished center section). My favorite mod was my CFR pipe on my first Vrod because of the power, sound and huge weight reduction.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
The thread was a couple of years ago could do with an update

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
I guess I have to do some research, because I was going to "upgrade" my grips and mirrors to these made by Kuryakyn. Why steer away from this brand? Anyone have these?

:banghead:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had the Kuryakyn mirrors for several years now. They extend out far enough to see past your arm pits and they stay shiny. What’s not to like?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I guess I have to do some research, because I was going to "upgrade" my grips and mirrors to these made by Kuryakyn. Why steer away from this brand? Anyone have these?

I've got the exact same grips on my DX. Love them dearly, they're comfy and fat. Stock ones were way too thin and too hard for my hands. It's personal though, just try them Kuryakins in the store or on someone else's bike and see if you like them.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts

:banghead:
I have these grips on my D since 2007. I absolutely love them. I wouldn't have any other grips.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
In my, once again unsolicited, opinion .. the only useful mod is a practical mod; either something to carry luggage, make the bike more comfortable or run better. Any other mods, by definition, are only for those who have nothing better to spend their extra money on .. this isn't meant in any way to be negatively critical only saying it as I see it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have these on my touring bike and they have been on there for going on 6 years. These have held up great and are very comfortable. I am goint to put them on the VRod also. My hands will thank me.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I would never mod a bike. It's perfect in its stock form.. (Snikker)

:hidesbeh:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have both the mirrors and the grips. Grips are awsome, mirrors are due for replacement. Going to give jokers stuff a shot.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
There are two old airhead sayings:
1. Chrome don't get you home, and
2. There is no replacement for displacement.
For this thread .. see #1.
Chrome is actually easier to clean than you'd think, far better than aluminum.

RPM is apparently underrated. Rented an Ultra. Plenty of displacement. It was a pig.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not worthy of this bike or any other.
Poorly designed, cheaply made, nothing even close to original, and the term mass produced is an understatement. Other than that, enjoy!:D
I don't think it's fair to call Kury stuff "poorly designed". I have a background in engineering and have spoken with a couple of the Kury designers over the years, and they have some very talented people there.

That being said, not everyone will like all the products any individual company manufactures.

The most common complaint I've heard in the years we've been selling Kuryakyn gear is that you see it everywhere. If you're looking for a more custom look, than Kuryakyn probably isn't the best approach because it's readily-available and the market is saturated. If you're looking for comfort and don't care about seeing "your" stuff on someone else's bike, then go for it. I LOVED my ISO grips.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
I rented a fatboy with the snazzy 6spd and i was on the hwy next to my buddy rolling the throttle looking at him like WTF! weres the [email protected]
Trying to compare the power of a fatboy to that of a vrod would be like comparing a vrod to a vmax. Now for those of you who like riding 2 up .. if you add a passenger to the mix, on the fatboy you probably will not notice a lot of difference in pull and acceleration but you'll defintely notice it on the vrod.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts