Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ,when ever im out on the bike i come home with a kinked neck from trying to see over my shoulder with a helmut,i dont know what it is ,but its like my chin hits my shoulder and then u have to crain to look around a bit more when looking for cars ,,yes i have mirrors but i also like to look ,and looking over my shoulders is killing me and i cant see properly anyway unless i twist my hole body ,does anyone look under there armpits instead , seems easy sitting on the bike in the garage ,but is it dangerous to do , or are others doing it and find it ok ,i just dont want to try it and find out its bad the hard way
,lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
get some of those blind spot mirrors to go on your stock mirrors. That should help. Or maybe adjust your mirrors to see a little closer to your sides.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think your stuck looking over your shoulder . Even if i had blind spot mirrors , i'd still do a shoulder check . shoulder checking saved me twice last week i think , at least once that i remember for sure in my truck .

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
I used to get pretty severe neck pain from running heavy equipment. Most days I looked back as much as forwards. I took the advice of my chiropractor and started doing neck and back exercises and stretches. Really did help. Worth a try, and I always look back when doing lane changes, and getting on the highway.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
try learning to twist at the shoulders. you can do this while sitting and watching tv at night. twist your shoulder to the side and look back after the shoulder starts the twist.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
Have you ever look in the F mirror? amazing they give an great view angle
sure you can find better concave mirror
looking under your arm pit are you kidding, the kangarou might think your a monkey lol
Ride Faster

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys,will try doing some shoulder twists ,i have blind spot mirrors , but no matter how good the mirrors are or are not ,i always do a head check for safty and to be doubly sure

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
You may also want to try putting your mirrors below the Bars, That's where I have mine and I find the visibility is better. I always had issues seeing out the mirrors in the normal position because my arms were always in the way no matter how I adjusted the mirrors. With the mirrors lower it's easy to look down some to also see if anything is next to you. May not work for everyone but seems to work out well for me (so far)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I often let go of one of the grips and turn my entire torso instead of craning my neck.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good thought andre.i may start trying that also .might haave to sit there and think about it .as i said its not my mirrors its me doing a head check that wrecking my neck and i just cant bring myself to to trust my mirrors alone

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
If you would remove them beers cans with the hose attatched to them , you would not have this problem.

:hidesbeh: :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
try doing some stretching prior to riding also maybe some exercise. it just seems like you have tension built up and that movement makes it more tense. i think having a croke in the neck is one of the most unpleasant feelings, so i understand. i usually take hot showers to get rid of mine and try to avoid laying certain ways or sudden movement that makes them happen. another good idea may be put on all your riding gear and while you are in the house do your exercise with your gear on. this may help your body to loosen up with the extra weight. i personally swear by ARAI helmets. they have saved my life before, so if you are wearing a full face helmet you may want to look into one of those, they are really light and fit the head well. good luck

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
How tall are you? You might try some bars or seats that allow you to sit up straighter so the twist of the head is not so much of a strain.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Any thing about the helmet stopping you turning your head? A slightly shorter helmet might help.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
thanks guys,will try doing some shoulder twists ,i have blind spot mirrors , but no matter how good the mirrors are or are not ,i always do a head check for safty and to be doubly sure
This is the suggested way to check behind you too.The safety courses I've attended also taught to always turn and look before manuring.I use my mirrors more while I'm riding just to scope out what's going on far behind me while I'm cruisin.
I started turning and looking every single time I manure around on my bikes when I started hauling my wife around as a passenger.It took a few months for my body to adjust.Now turning and looking doesn't bother me at all,and it's become a good habit.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Brett,
Checking left: let go with left hand. extend arm as if signalling left. peek under arm in mirror, and since arm is outstretched, twist torso left to assist head check. Twist right grip. Pass traffic. as you pass, watch. Resume driving in right lane as soon as passed vehicle is in rear view mirror. Prior to ride, stretch. Good luck! Joe

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
I think your stuck looking over your shoulder . Even if i had blind spot mirrors , i'd still do a shoulder check . shoulder checking saved me twice last week i think , at least once that i remember for sure in my truck .
:them:

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brett,
Checking left: let go with left hand. extend arm as if signalling left. peek under arm in mirror, and since arm is outstretched, twist torso left to assist head check. Twist right grip. Pass traffic. as you pass, watch. Resume driving in right lane as soon as passed vehicle is in rear view mirror. Prior to ride, stretch. Good luck! Joe
good thoughts here joe,any thoughts about the right side cos if i let go of the right grip that would mean no go power wouldnt it , the bars are more than lilkely not helping ,as they are rizomas and leaning forward is fine but when leaning forward the shoulders come forward as well , i think just some sitting on the bike and thinking about ALL THESE GREAT TIPS AND PUTTING THEM INTO PRACTICE and see which ones work for me

1 - 20 of 32 Posts